• Nov 15th, 2009 5:21 am
Tags:
None
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
Yeah and it's an awesome HSF too. That's the one I bought and I love it. :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Yes but I'd stay away from Thermaltake. The make low quality products.

Instead for half the money you can get a Xigmatek S1283 which will spank that bulky creation.
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
Oversized Rooster wrote: Yes but I'd stay away from Thermaltake. The make low quality products.

Instead for half the money you can get a Xigmatek S1283 which will spank that bulky creation.
Interesting. I know you're only making digs after your bitterness in my computer build thread. Some people have their egos damaged when others get better stuff. I'm down with that.

What I find most interesting, though, is your comment about their quality. First, you recommend an HSF you don't even use yourself... and secondly, there are Thermaltake coolers that completely annihilate the Thermalright that you DO use (case in point, the Big Typhoon). Even the Zalman CNPS9700 cools within 1 degree of the Thermalright.

We can also consider that Thermaltake is considered a leader in cases. There are a dozen cases that are far superior to the Antec 1200 you're using.... and certainly the TT Spedo Advanced, which bent you out of shape in my thread, is one of them.

To the OP: This fellow was unable to offer much in the way of rationale when asked directly. You *might* want to take it with a grain of salt. Consider it to be "flame bait". You won't be served wrongly with Thermaltake products.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
I agree with OR on his coment in reguard to the cooler. I've read 2-3 reviews on it & as they have all said its just a cosmeticaly nice looking unit that fails to provide the cooling ability of other cheaper DHT heatsinks. Even the Sunbeam I was looking at for $33 would be a better cooler then this one.

And NPINC ..... OR's been on here for awhile & as far as I have known him on here he's not been very wrong or what not on his rational on things.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
terrybear wrote: I agree with OR on his coment in reguard to the cooler. I've read 2-3 reviews on it & as they have all said its just a cosmeticaly nice looking unit that fails to provide the cooling ability of other cheaper DHT heatsinks. Even the Sunbeam I was looking at for $33 would be a better cooler then this one.

And NPINC ..... OR's been on here for awhile & as far as I have known him on here he's not been very wrong or what not on his rational on things.
Really?
The Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler is a great looking cooler that took a different layout and design and put it to work on cooling some of the hottest processors out there right now. The performance of the Thermaltake SpinQ at stock speeds and voltages was killer, it was able to keep up and obtain similar results as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and the Cooler Master V8, two proven coolers on the current market.
- Overclockers Club

At Overclockers online, it performed better than the Coolermaster Hyper TX2 AND Thermalright AXP-140.

At Tweaknews, the SpinQ outperformed the Noctua NH-C12P, Silverstone NT06 Revolution, Geilid Hyper Spirit and performed equally to the Coolermaster V8.

You might wish to take his "recommendations" and "rationale" with a grain of salt.

EDIT: In addition to those thoughts, the question was "will it work" not "what's your personal vendetta against Thermaltake" or even "how does it compare to a Xigmatek"? :) There's nothing wrong with opinions, don't get me wrong, but it's certainly helpful if you can back it up with experience and fact, just in case someone comes along that's not willing to take your opinion, such as "it's junk" at face value. It's always nice to qualify it with a reason.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
npinc wrote: Interesting. I know you're only making digs after your bitterness in my computer build thread. Some people have their egos damaged when others get better stuff. I'm down with that.

What I find most interesting, though, is your comment about their quality. First, you recommend an HSF you don't even use yourself... and secondly, there are Thermaltake coolers that completely annihilate the Thermalright that you DO use (case in point, the Big Typhoon). Even the Zalman CNPS9700 cools within 1 degree of the Thermalright.

We can also consider that Thermaltake is considered a leader in cases. There are a dozen cases that are far superior to the Antec 1200 you're using.... and certainly the TT Spedo Advanced, which bent you out of shape in my thread, is one of them.

To the OP: This fellow was unable to offer much in the way of rationale when asked directly. You *might* want to take it with a grain of salt. Consider it to be "flame bait". You won't be served wrongly with Thermaltake products.
I recommend that you fully inform yourself about what I did post and what I did not post. It's dangerous to make assumptions because it makes you look and sound like a fool.

I only posted in one thread which you were the author of - the one about that silly quad core laptop.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/omg- ... op-804010/

Most people agreed with me in fact.

Now, as to the coolers, I happen to own TWO S1283 coolers but you were too ignorant to know this. Yes, I do use a Thermalright Ultra 120. This is because I bought it years ago and when combined with a push-pull fan configuration it still keeps up with most new coolers therefore, I have no reason to invest $60 again on something new.

If you take the time to see my historic statements about Thermaltake, they are always similar. Particularly when speaking about their cases, I note that while the materials used are good, the build quality is poor. I have experience working with their products so I'm not making blind statements.

Where did you ever see me comparing the Antec 1200 to the Spedo Advanced case? I have not done this and I have never claimed the 1200 is the best case ever. In fact, I bought it primarily because I found it on sale for $119 about 1.5 years ago. Personally I don't believe in spending $200 on a case, so I am not concerned with which case is really considered to be best and owning that best case.

I actually suspect that you are mistaking me for another user because of the Spedo Advanced discussion (which I did not participate in). Either way, whether you think you have the right guy or not, I recommend you stay the hell away from my posts or I will file for harassment. Running your own IT company does not give your statements extra weight. Many members (myself included) here also have their own IT companies but so what?
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
I think it's fair to post the whole conclusion from Overclocker's club ...

But maybe it's just me ... Why do I want to pay $69 for SpinQ when I can get TRU 120 for $61 ???

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?s ... ERMALRIGHT

** Disclaimer : I am a TRU 120 owner too :)

Conclusion:

The Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler is a great looking cooler that took a different layout and design and put it to work on cooling some of the hottest processors
out there right now. The performance of the Thermaltake SpinQ at stock speeds and voltages was killer, it was able to keep up and obtain similar results as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and the Cooler Master V8, two proven coolers on the current market. However, when the Q9450 was overclocked and the voltages were increased, the SpinQ was unable to scale with the same results, it was unable to keep up with the increase in heat load. I was impressed with the design of the cooler, it boasts 6 thick heatpipes and 50 twisted fins, making it stand out in a line up and great at stock settings. The Multi-platform design of the cooler adds value to it as it will be able to be used on any LGA775 motherboard, as well as being able to be used on the Socket 754, 939, AM2, and AM2+ motherboards, allowing for upgrades and keeping your cooler for the upgrade. I was not very impressed by the mounting hardware though, I have never been a fan of the pressure clips as I do not feel they allow for a very tight connection between the IHS of the processor and the base of the cooler, I would have liked to see some sort of backing plate and screw/bolt action for the mounting. The price of the cooler is a little higher than I would pay for a cooler.

Overall, if you are looking for a great looking cooler that takes advantage of a creative design, I would suggest picking this cooler up. Maybe you're building a new computer and you need a new cooling device for your processor because you bought it OEM, I would suggest the Thermaltake SpinQ if you are going to be running your processor at stock speeds and voltages. If you are increasing the frequency and voltages of your processor, you would be able to get a better cooler, but nothing that looks anything like this. For a heavy overclocker looking for the best of the best, this cooler falls just short of that. I would still recommend this cooler to anyone who is looking for an upgrade from their stock cooler.

So, to me, SpinQ does not seem to justify its price tag ...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
willy wrote: I think it's fair to post the whole conclusion from Overclocker's club ...

But maybe it's just me ... Why do I want to pay $69 for SpinQ when I can get TRU 120 for $61 ???

Conclusion:

The Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler is a great looking cooler that took a different layout and design and put it to work on cooling some of the hottest processors
out there right now. The performance of the Thermaltake SpinQ at stock speeds and voltages was killer, it was able to keep up and obtain similar results as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and the Cooler Master V8, two proven coolers on the current market. However, when the Q9450 was overclocked and the voltages were increased, the SpinQ was unable to scale with the same results, it was unable to keep up with the increase in heat load. I was impressed with the design of the cooler, it boasts 6 thick heatpipes and 50 twisted fins, making it stand out in a line up and great at stock settings. The Multi-platform design of the cooler adds value to it as it will be able to be used on any LGA775 motherboard, as well as being able to be used on the Socket 754, 939, AM2, and AM2+ motherboards, allowing for upgrades and keeping your cooler for the upgrade. I was not very impressed by the mounting hardware though, I have never been a fan of the pressure clips as I do not feel they allow for a very tight connection between the IHS of the processor and the base of the cooler, I would have liked to see some sort of backing plate and screw/bolt action for the mounting. The price of the cooler is a little higher than I would pay for a cooler.

Overall, if you are looking for a great looking cooler that takes advantage of a creative design, I would suggest picking this cooler up. Maybe you're building a new computer and you need a new cooling device for your processor because you bought it OEM, I would suggest the Thermaltake SpinQ if you are going to be running your processor at stock speeds and voltages. If you are increasing the frequency and voltages of your processor, you would be able to get a better cooler, but nothing that looks anything like this. For a heavy overclocker looking for the best of the best, this cooler falls just short of that. I would still recommend this cooler to anyone who is looking for an upgrade from their stock cooler.

exactly as I was saying ... :D
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
Oversized Rooster wrote: I recommend that you fully inform yourself about what I did post and what I did not post. It's dangerous to make assumptions because it makes you look and sound like a fool.

I only posted in one thread which you were the author of - the one about that silly quad core laptop.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/omg- ... op-804010/

Most people agreed with me in fact.

Yes, and I saw everyone's point there. I still like it though :)

If you take the time to see my historic statements about Thermaltake, they are always similar. Particularly when speaking about their cases, I note that while the materials used are good, the build quality is poor. I have experience working with their products so I'm not making blind statements.

I actually suspect that you are mistaking me for another user because of the Spedo Advanced discussion (which I did not participate in).
Yes, you're right! I am mistaking you for another user and I sincerely apologize for that. How I managed to pull that one I don't know.

I like TT build quality. I haven't found anything wrong with it. To each their own I suppose. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
willy wrote: I think it's fair to post the whole conclusion from Overclocker's club ...

Conclusion:

The reason I didn't quote the last part is because I'm not hearing the OP asking about overclocking, thus the last part is impertinent. I'm not hearing them ask about personal opinions on price, nor style, nor whether someone thinks TT is junk.

To all:

He asked a simple question. Will it work? The answer is yes. In fact, it will work quite well and it looks awesome.

Would YOU pay for it? Who gives a damn if you would or wouldn't? How is that at all pertinent to anyone but you in this thread? How does that address the question: Will it work with AM3?

Do you think TT is junk? Who gives a damn what YOU think of Thermaltake? If he wanted your opinion he would have asked for it.

Harassment on a message board? Because someone calls you on your statement and exercises a basic human right? What is this? Kindergarten? Spew whatever crap you like without any invitation or reason to do so, offer nothing to justify it and cry like a baby when someone says "wait a sec.. That's not right". "But I OWN AN IT SHOP!" Lah dee dah. Good for you. Grow up. God.

So, not only are all the personal opinions not really justified, as tests show for the average user it's as good or better than what others felt free to offer their two cents on, it looks cool, it will fit his processor and he has no stated issues with price.... and that's all there is to it. :)

Can we move on now? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
npinc wrote: The reason I didn't quote the last part is because I'm not hearing the OP asking about overclocking, thus the last part is impertinent. I'm not hearing them ask about personal opinions on price, nor style, nor whether someone thinks TT is junk.

To all:

He asked a simple question. Will it work? The answer is yes. In fact, it will work quite well and it looks awesome.

Would YOU pay for it? Who gives a damn if you would or wouldn't? How is that at all pertinent to anyone but you in this thread? How does that address the question: Will it work with AM3?

Do you think TT is junk? Who gives a damn what YOU think of Thermaltake? If he wanted your opinion he would have asked for it.

Harassment on a message board? Because someone calls you on your statement and exercises a basic human right? What is this? Kindergarten? Spew whatever crap you like without any invitation or reason to do so, offer nothing to justify it and cry like a baby when someone says "wait a sec.. That's not right". "But I OWN AN IT SHOP!" Lah dee dah. Good for you. Grow up. God.

So, not only are all the personal opinions not really justified, as tests show for the average user it's as good or better than what others felt free to offer their two cents on, it looks cool, it will fit his processor and he has no stated issues with price.... and that's all there is to it. :)

Can we move on now? Thanks.
As far as I have seen so far, you've been the one "stirin the pot" in some of these threads so I'd be a lil more tight lipped about things so to speak ...

Everyone on here that seems to have 1/2 a brain that funtions seems to understand the concept of discussing opinions/views on items & arguing points but in the end most users respect the others opinion/view & ususaly use it to help with there views on a option or what not.

Now would this work for the OP ... of course ... but is it the best choice for the money ... no. As OR & as I would have pointed out there are more "efficent" & "effective" cooling solutions out there on the market for a lower price especialy if her's looking to oc, but if he wants to buy it just cause it looks "cool" or "pretty" then in the end that is the OP's choice.

I don't come on here to tell peaple " don't buy asus ", " don't buy intel " & ect. I come on here to help users buy the best componet for there price range not cause " x company makes this & ALL there stuff is kick azz so you GOTTA buy it ".
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
npinc wrote: Yes, you're right! I am mistaking you for another user and I sincerely apologize for that. How I managed to pull that one I don't know.

I like TT build quality. I haven't found anything wrong with it. To each their own I suppose. :)
Apology accepted. :cheesygri I agree - to each their own with respect to TT. Heck, with respect to any company or product. As terrybear said, most of us here on RFD are trying to help out. The OP of course should make their own final decision, whether that is influenced by our respective opinions or not.

Good evening to all. :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
Ignoring what you all just said it the above, I'll just state my own opinion regarding the OP's question.

Yes, it'll work with AM3, but I don't think that aftermarket cooler is good value, when there are numerous other coolers out there that perform as well and maybe even better for 1/2 the price.
Signature removed due to rule violation
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
If you prefer bolt through mobo heatsinks,

Another inexpensive alternative, The Hyper 212 Plus will be seated with fan(s) blowing out the back of the chassis.

I excluded the Xigmatek from AM2/AM2+/AM3 mobos,
Since it ends up having the fan blowing up into the power supply...
Nov 17, 2008
535 posts
9 upvotes
Halifax, NS
My PSU is on the bottom so that bit doesn't matter and with the case I have, I can just invert the damn thing so it blows out the bottom. I was looking at that cooler because I thought the noise level wouldn't be that high with it. Overall, I'm just looking for a low noise cooler that functions better than stock. I'm only going to OC 200 or 400MHZ so it doesn't matter tooo much. I will most likely be buying from a locally owned computer shop (gotta support them sometimes) and not just because the rest of my build is due to arrive Wednesday :P.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
SinCron wrote: I will most likely be buying from a locally owned computer shop (gotta support them sometimes) and not just because the rest of my build is due to arrive Wednesday :P.
If that's the case, look for the OCZ Vendetta 2. You're far more likely to find it and it's a nicely rated cooler that also does well in overclocking environments.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
oh, another very nice cooler to use, if you're using an AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 setup would be teh sunbeam core contact freezer 120mm version. I'm using that right now and it performs pretty well. the exhaust blows out toward the back of the case, not up or down. Should be around the $40 price range.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=30008 ... re=Sunbeam
Signature removed due to rule violation
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
I thought Sunbeam made toasters and blenders?

Anyways, that one is very similar to the Vendetta 2.