Computers & Electronics

Looking to get a 8port GigE switch. Which one?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2009 5:00 pm
Jul 22, 2009
642 posts
66 upvotes

Looking to get a 8port GigE switch. Which one?

NCIX has Trendnet TEG-S80G 8-port GigE switch on sale right for $40.

Is it a good switch? And most importantly why or why not? I'm suspicious as to why it's so much cheaper when compared to models from other manufacturers like:
Netgear GS608
D-LINK DGS-1008D
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
I got the D-Link DGS-1008D for $39.99 when there was a Dell deal, it works fine for me.

As for the why that one is cheaper, I don't know. The D-Link does run very cool though, it claims that it's green.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
YouKilledMyFather wrote: NCIX has Trendnet TEG-S80G 8-port GigE switch on sale right for $40.

Is it a good switch? And most importantly why or why not? I'm suspicious as to why it's so much cheaper when compared to models from other manufacturers like:
Netgear GS608
D-LINK DGS-1008D
All I can say is that I got mine about 6-9 months ago and I've had no issues with it at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
I've found the best is the Netgear ProSafe GS108. Excellent unit, very reliable, corporate class. D-Link consumer products leave a lot to be desired. My fiance worked D-Link tech support if you're ever looking for the inside scoop. :)

Another I've found not bad are the Linksys Business Series. I use the SR2024C which is excellent. They do have an SR2016 as well, but not an 8 port that I know of.

EDIT: To address the question of why so cheap, that's because Trendnet is very low end product. It's very cheap to buy. I can understand a KVM switch or something, but for networking I never trust them. I guess it depends on your application.