• Aug 24th, 2015 11:38 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1939 posts
34 upvotes

CC - ACER - AM3800 - E5200 2.5Ghz - 4GB DDR3 - Discussion

Seeing as the BB deal has a thread I'll open one up here. What upgrades are people looking to get? I'm thinking a 400W PSU and an ATI 4670

Here are the specs from CC's site:

Acer AM3800-U3802A Intel E5200 2.5Ghz, 4GB DDR3 Memory, 640GB SATA II HDD, Intel X4500 Graphics w/ HDMI, DVD�R/RW Drive, Card Reader, 7.1 CH HD Audio, GigaLAN, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
95 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1315 posts
684 upvotes
For those of you keeping Vista on this machine, after all your windows updates are complete, you may have to manually update to SP2. It never showed up in the windows automated update. Even after ensuring I had everthing I needed.

Just a head's up in case the problem is specific to these machines.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2196 posts
289 upvotes
No need upgrade ... plays fine in HD 1080P... :D
using as HTPC....

will upgrade to windows 7 ... but CD didn't come yet... :confused:
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
For those using Win7 x64 on this, can you enable AHCI in the BIOS and boot into Windows? For me, no matter what I do, I cannot boot using either the Native IDE or the AHCI mode. It simply restarts at the Windows loading screen. The problem is that I can only boot in under RAID mode, and I have no intention of using RAID.

I keep getting Timeout errors reported by iastor or iastor(v) in Microsoft Event Viewer*, and this is because of the RAID mode. According to Intel changing to IDE mode will help, but I just cannot seem to do so. I am going crazy here. Any help?
Mar 12, 2007
141 posts
3 upvotes
chinese zzz wrote: No need upgrade ... plays fine in HD 1080P... :D
using as HTPC....

will upgrade to windows 7 ... but CD didn't come yet... :confused:
I am waiting for the CD too,,,,
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
porphyra wrote: For those using Win7 x64 on this, can you enable AHCI in the BIOS and boot into Windows? For me, no matter what I do, I cannot boot using either the Native IDE or the AHCI mode. It simply restarts at the Windows loading screen. The problem is that I can only boot in under RAID mode, and I have no intention of using RAID.

I keep getting Timeout errors reported by iastor or iastor(v) in Microsoft Event Viewer*, and this is because of the RAID mode. According to Intel changing to IDE mode will help, but I just cannot seem to do so. I am going crazy here. Any help?
Now this is interesting, as in order to hackintosh it, I had to change it from RAID mode to AHCI..... I was intending to get another HDD and dual boot it with Win 7 64-bit, but what you're saying is going to cause me a problem! I don't want to be changing between bios settings all the time!

As for original question, I'm keeping an eye on quad core CPU's personally - want to snag one when they hit the bottom price point, since this socket design will be phased out.....
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
G77 wrote: As for original question, I'm keeping an eye on quad core CPU's personally - want to snag one when they hit the bottom price point, since this socket design will be phased out.....
Too true. I imagine the board should support the end of cycle of the Q-series Quads. Do keep posting if you find some chips bottoming out. Would be interested in the swap myself, especially one that support VT. Its a bummer that I cannot run Virtualization on this one...
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
porphyra wrote: Too true. I imagine the board should support the end of cycle of the Q-series Quads. Do keep posting if you find some chips bottoming out. Would be interested in the swap myself, especially one that support VT. Its a bummer that I cannot run Virtualization on this one...
I'm thinking the one that was in the BestBuy deal (E8300?) should slot straight in - I bet they use the same m'board....

There's nothing to stop you using virtualization on the stock CPU, just you won't get VT enhancements....
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
G77 wrote: I'm thinking the one that was in the BestBuy deal (E8300?) should slot straight in - I bet they use the same m'board....

There's nothing to stop you using virtualization on the stock CPU, just you won't get VT enhancements....
Yes, but you cannot run WinXP mode in Win 7 without VT. Period. For it to work, VT has to be present and enabled. :(

And it is Q8300 = Quad core.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
porphyra wrote: Yes, but you cannot run WinXP mode in Win 7 without VT. Period. For it to work, VT has to be present and enabled. :(

Actually, straight from MS's own site:

"The new Windows XP Mode lets you run older Windows XP business software right on your Windows 7 desktop.

This feature is designed primarily with small- and medium-sized businesses in mind. Windows XP Mode comes as a separate download and works only with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. Windows XP Mode also requires virtualization software such as Windows Virtual PC. Both are available free on the Microsoft website."
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
porphyra wrote: Yes, but you cannot run WinXP mode in Win 7 without VT. Period. For it to work, VT has to be present and enabled. :(

Yes, Q sorry - I think you have to go higher than the 8300 to get VT though?

XP seems to be running fine on Vmware Fusion on my hack install :D Trying Win 7 next :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
I just noticed my status has changed on that Windows 7 CD order from "Pending for Fulfillment" to "Fulfillment in progress". Hopefully we all get it soon.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1315 posts
684 upvotes
Which playback device SHOULD we be using? Noticed the Realtek device doesn't give me an option for 5.1 surround (Only shows stereo speakers when setting it up). The Intel device however gives me the option.

I currently have the pc connected via HDMI to a year old (HD Audio capable) Denon receiver with 5.1 sound. Still though, I cannot get DTS to work? Is this normal?

I've updated the realtek & Intel drivers directly from the Realtek site and still no dice.
Also having problems with my audio (just losing sound) whenever I attempt a speaker test using WMC.

My Asus seems riddled with little problems that are driving me mad!
Mar 12, 2007
141 posts
3 upvotes
dell wrote: I just noticed my status has changed on that Windows 7 CD order from "Pending for Fulfillment" to "Fulfillment in progress". Hopefully we all get it soon.
how to check the status? any link?
Oct 12, 2009
28 posts
3 upvotes
Did anyone add a 4650 or 4670 to this box without changing the PS? It looks like the PS should be adequate for that plus a 2nd HD. By the way the 4670 does not need its own power connection so that makes it easier.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1939 posts
34 upvotes
Philx wrote: Did anyone add a 4650 or 4670 to this box without changing the PS? It looks like the PS should be adequate for that plus a 2nd HD. By the way the 4670 does not need its own power connection so that makes it easier.
I'm planning on getting the 4670 as well but I will be changing the PSU to something 400W-450W because I don't want to take the risk.

I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning, anyone have a recommendation for a PSU that's $30-$40? I'm looking for a reliable brand.
Oct 12, 2009
28 posts
3 upvotes
V A N Q U I S H wrote: I'm planning on getting the 4670 as well but I will be changing the PSU to something 400W-450W because I don't want to take the risk.

I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning, anyone have a recommendation for a PSU that's $30-$40? I'm looking for a reliable brand.
Do you see the risk as the PS running too hot? Not sure what else there is as a couple of PS analyzers show this unit only needing about 225 watts or less. I believe this is a decent PS in your price range after MIR http://www.**********/pp-corsair-cmpsu- ... 43447.html
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1939 posts
34 upvotes
Philx wrote: Do you see the risk as the PS running too hot? Not sure what else there is as a couple of PS analyzers show this unit only needing about 225 watts or less. I believe this is a decent PS in your price range after MIR http://www.**********/pp-corsair-cmpsu- ... 43447.html
Thanks for that, I guess a higher wattage will run a little hot, maybe I'll go for something 350W to 400W.