Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga

help with hdmi cables - monoprice.com

hi there,

i would like to buy hdmi cables for: dvd player->tv, rogers hdbox->tv

i heard monoprice.com is the best site for this...

i went on the site and holy crap, there are so many different hdmi cables...which one should i get? what's the diff?

exclude the factor of length of cable...i will figure that out myself

thanks..
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
81 upvotes
HDMI is a digital signal, so a bit is either there or it isn't and you don't have to worry about cable impedance etc. A coat hangar would give you a good signal, so I'd advise buying the least expensive v1.3b compliant cable at a pricepoint you think is reasonable.

I recently bought a 40" LCD TV from Amazon.com, they also offered 6' HDMI cables for $0.03 each (yes, THREE CENTS). I would have bought them except that they shipped separately and as well as triggering a shipping fee, would have also triggered a second parcel pickup fee at the UPS store. I ended up buying cables for about $10/ea from shopRBC computers.

BTW, if Monoprice shipping costs are of concern, OnlyBestRated.com stocks most Monoprice products and ships from the GTA. Prices are a bit higher though :(
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Perhaps look at the BST forums, cause I know there are people out there with more HDMI cables then they really need, simply cause its so cheap when they bought it. RFD rule, buy first, think later.

I know they exist, cause I'm one :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes
The cables using 28 gauge wire are the thinnest and easiest to bend. They're fine for the normal 6 foot length.

If you are going long, like 50 feet, you might want to check out the detailed tests done by Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/282725/the-truth-abo ... e-part-iii), which suggested that a thicker-gauge cable with more shielding can make a different at lengths of 50 feet when using the highest HDMI data rates. Their conclusion was that there's no significant performance difference between cheap monoprice cables and expensive Monster cables, but it might be better to use the heavier gauge HDMI cable at longer lengths, especially if you are going to be building it in behind the wall.

You can ignore the "HDMI 1.3 compatible" designation. HDMI is HDMI as far as the physical cable goes. HDMI 1.3 is a data standard.