Computers & Electronics

WDTV + Ralink RT73 wireless G USB and 720p?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2009 4:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario

WDTV + Ralink RT73 wireless G USB and 720p?

This might have been already discussed earlier, I see some guys on AVSforum able to stream 720p over wireless G to their standard WDTV.

The wireless G dongles with the RT73 chipset are compatible in this list . Does that mean I can buy one from dealextreme for $10, install WDLXTV and the wireless app pack, and I'm good to go for my 720p mkv's?
I understand some people are using the dongles from dealextreme with success, don't know if they're streaming HD though.

My Dlink655 router is only 15 feet away through a ceiling.

Anyone doing this or get this to work?
Thanks
1 reply
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4456 posts
53 upvotes
720p HD takes 15Mbps (1.85mb/sec)
a 802.11G gives 54Mbps (6.75mb/sec)

So if you got a good signal that does not dip under 18mbps, then you should be OK.

Have I ever done it? no. I went out and got an N adapter for the WDTV, but I've only ever been able to push out 160mbps (20mb/sec) from it. That said, the WDTV can handle it, and therefore it should not have a problem attaining the full 54mbps that your wifi adapter can give.

Just remember, you'll never be able to do 1080p wirelessly!

zoolander wrote: This might have been already discussed earlier, I see some guys on AVSforum able to stream 720p over wireless G to their standard WDTV.

The wireless G dongles with the RT73 chipset are compatible in this list . Does that mean I can buy one from dealextreme for $10, install WDLXTV and the wireless app pack, and I'm good to go for my 720p mkv's?
I understand some people are using the dongles from dealextreme with success, don't know if they're streaming HD though.

My Dlink655 router is only 15 feet away through a ceiling.

Anyone doing this or get this to work?
Thanks
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
[/COLOR]