• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2010 9:40 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 9, 2008
551 posts
7 upvotes

Refurbished Items

I noticed that i come across the term "refurbished" quite a lot recently, and tried to check it out what it means. From Googling it, I think I know what it roughly means - an item which was previously repaired. But there is a contradiction which does not fully make sense to me.
Refurbished items are fixed, certified and guaranteed that they are 100% functional. Yet, they are being sold cheaper than the same items which are in "New" condition.
For instance, the Logitech VX Nano mouse goes around $30-$40 on ebay as refurbished.
The same item, but "New", goes for $60 in the states and a bit more here. But here's the thing: if it says new, doesn't it mean that it may have problems as the other mice had? In other words, the Refurbished one is guaranteed to work, and the New one might get refurbished on your expense.
Please tell me where I am wrong.

A picture of what I mean
[IMG]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2039/74112964.png[/IMG]
25 replies
Feb 9, 2008
551 posts
7 upvotes
Yeah, I read the same article.
In the case of the two mice, the article still does not explain the thing I am not clear with.
I'm saying, if there are many of the items refurbished, that means that any new item in the store has the likelihood to have the problem which the other mice had. And if the item is refurbished, it should be sold at a greater price because it is guaranteed that it will not have any problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
Be very, very careful with "refurbished" items. Here's why.

There is a huge misunderstanding what refurbished actually is. We've seen many places say "refurbished" when what they should have actually said is "resold with a spit and polish". One infamously bad example of this is Factory Direct. They are selling so-called "refurbished" products which in fact have not been refurbished by the manufacturer at all. They're clearly used and repackaged.

Another bad example is computer vendors that consider a fresh load of Windows "refurbished".

There is only one true type of refurbishing. This is when the product goes back to the factory with a fault. The factory then rebuilds it, passes it through quality control and recertifies the product. It will then come with a certified manufacturers warranty.

If the product is not marked as such IT'S NOT REFURBISHED.

It's a huge game. Vendors have long since realized that "used" doesn't have the same sales appeal as "previously owned" or "previously enjoyed" or even "refurbished".

If they did a fresh install and wiped it down with a Lysol wipe it's USED, NOT REFURBISHED!!! If corporations traded them back in and they're dumped into channel, if they did a fresh install and Lysol wipe routine it's OFF LEASE, NOT REFURBISHED!!!

Period.

Tiger Direct is right now being sued by Dell for this crap little game. They keep telling the consumer that this "refurbished" product is current and eligible for Dell warranty and support.. It's a bold faced lie. Dell finally got pissed off and sued them.

It's time to end this stupid little game and stop misleading the consumer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Generally it is safe to buy factory refurbs.

These have been thoroughly tested by the manufacturer and offer at least a 90 day warranty.

The big difference is that refurbs have been touched by human hands. Where as new product are BRAND NEW. Yes, it may be defective and you can exchange it for a new one. There is a good chance that the bad one goes back and gets refurbrished.

The manufacturer is trying to minimize their loss.

You pay a premium for new, because it is new and you have a full warranty.
Feb 9, 2008
551 posts
7 upvotes
OK, thanks a lot npinc & Gee.

Now, has anyone had any experience, namely, buying mice from CanadaComputers that are refurbished?
I mean, if I want to buy the mouse above, should I just go buy it, after looking at it of course? Or should I bring my laptop there and try the mouse in front of them.
Feedback: this model has a lot of refurbishment going on because it had some freezing problem, after not touching it for more than 10 sec.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Gee wrote: Generally it is safe to buy factory refurbs.

These have been thoroughly tested by the manufacturer and offer at least a 90 day warranty.

The big difference is that refurbs have been touched by human hands. Where as new product are BRAND NEW. Yes, it may be defective and you can exchange it for a new one. There is a good chance that the bad one goes back and gets refurbrished.

The manufacturer is trying to minimize their loss.

You pay a premium for new, because it is new and you have a full warranty.
I'm currently using a "refurb" HP laptop. It looks to be brand new and only assembled in April or so. There are no obvious replaced parts. I think the model just didn't sell as it is a "Celeron". Most less-knowledgable users (and many who think they know) avoid these thinking they are underpowered. In actuality it is a single-core version of Intel's latest dual core chips, just as capable as some of Intel's better chips a couple of years ago, but now assigned the Celeron name so that it doesn't impact on their premium processor sales. A lot of it is just a name game. The specs are what count, and I'm benefitting from others' ignorance. This HP has the same case, screen, video chip, and presumably motherboard too, as the more expensive dual-core siblings. My only concern is the limited 90 day warranty, but if it survives that OK I'm sure it will be just as good as a "new" one at that point and should likely be fine for years.

I would never consider "refurb" to be better than "new" though. At best it is identical quality at a better price, like my laptop. If you know what you're doing it can be a good way to go. I doubt I'd ever buy a refurb mouse though. :)
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
iboyalama wrote: OK, thanks a lot npinc & Gee.

Now, has anyone had any experience, namely, buying mice from CanadaComputers that are refurbished?
I mean, if I want to buy the mouse above, should I just go buy it, after looking at it of course? Or should I bring my laptop there and try the mouse in front of them.
Feedback: this model has a lot of refurbishment going on because it had some freezing problem, after not touching it for more than 10 sec.
Ask them if it has the manufacturers certificate of warranty and the certificate of recertified quality control.

Understand that a lot of people get "buyers remorse". The retailer says "ok, bring it back". Does the retailer eat that? Not a chance. The manufacturer does.

So what happens?

What happens is that when the manufacturer gets a truckload back that everyone changed their mind about, they can't sell it as new so they dump it into the channel at ridiculously low pricing. It's better to get something for it than nothing, right?

That's where these shops come into play. They pick it up at a bargain and mislabel it as "refurbished" product to dump it for top dollar.

Nice gig eh? Too bad if anyone, it's the consumer that gets shafted in the end.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Buyers remorse is usually sold off as "Open Box" as is.

The manufacturers are getting wise, they limit returns on some products and force the retailers to eat it or give limited credit.

As I stated earlier, if you are going to buy refurbrished. Make sure you buy a factory refurbrished product.

These will have an official sticker or packaging from the manufacturer stating that it is refurbrished.

If you go to Canada Computers for this mouse and you see a taped up retail box, then it is not a factory refurb.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gee wrote: Buyers remorse is usually sold off as "Open Box" as is.
Not always. If the consumer is returning it stating that there is a fault with the product when there isn't because they think they have to in order to return it, then it usually goes back to the manufacturer as a defective item since the retailer doesn't have the time, training nor equipment to test it properly.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
iboyalama wrote: OK, thanks a lot npinc & Gee.

Back when the MXR was released I picked up a refurb unit from CC. It costed me $45+tax, which was very good at that time. The mouse is still working like a charm, the mouse itself looked brand new when I got it. You can take my words with a grain of salt, but I didn't have any problems. I think they also have XX days of direct replacement from CC, which I didn't use.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
craftsman wrote: Not always. If the consumer is returning it stating that there is a fault with the product when there isn't because they think they have to in order to return it, then it usually goes back to the manufacturer as a defective item since the retailer doesn't have the time, training nor equipment to test it properly.
If there was fault, it would be classifed as defective, not buyers remorse.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
iboyalama wrote: Yeah, I read the same article.
In the case of the two mice, the article still does not explain the thing I am not clear with.
I'm saying, if there are many of the items refurbished, that means that any new item in the store has the likelihood to have the problem which the other mice had. And if the item is refurbished, it should be sold at a greater price because it is guaranteed that it will not have any problems.
Okay. You have some really good replies.

I think it depends on what mouse you're talking about.

A refurbished mouse could be okay, who knows. I have bought refurbished stuff at Factory Direct (perhaps, not a good idea in retrospect according to some people?!? :) ). I had one item that I had to take back (a notebook mouse, ironically) and got store credit.

I would probably pass on the mouse but that's just me. I would suspect if there's a lot of refurbished items for the same mouse, then it could be a quality issue. It's not more than the new ones since it's been 'used' and can't be sold as 'new' anymore. The new ones aren't discounted because there's not a reported quality issue which hurt in a financial sense or in terms of marketing. It takes a lot for an electronics or computer electronics manufacturer to confess to a design flaw.

However, after that is all said and done, it's also entirely possible that buyers went to a newer model after they found out it was released and many items were returned so they have to be sold as 'refurbished.' Or the features were such that the buyers were unsatisfied. It could be anything but if there is a problem with the mechanics and you know about it, it sounds like a design flaw that effects the entire line. Poor quality control, probably. No one caught it in time and it got on the shelves before discovering it.
Feb 9, 2008
551 posts
7 upvotes
teleguitar wrote: Okay. You have some really good replies.

I think it depends on what mouse you're talking about.

A refurbished mouse could be okay, who knows. I have bought refurbished stuff at Factory Direct (perhaps, not a good idea in retrospect according to some people?!? :) ). I had one item that I had to take back (a notebook mouse, ironically) and got store credit.

I would probably pass on the mouse but that's just me. I would suspect if there's a lot of refurbished items for the same mouse, then it could be a quality issue. It's not more than the new ones since it's been 'used' and can't be sold as 'new' anymore. The new ones aren't discounted because there's not a reported quality issue which hurt in a financial sense or in terms of marketing. It takes a lot for an electronics or computer electronics manufacturer to confess to a design flaw.

However, after that is all said and done, it's also entirely possible that buyers went to a newer model after they found out it was released and many items were returned so they have to be sold as 'refurbished.' Or the features were such that the buyers were unsatisfied. It could be anything but if there is a problem with the mechanics and you know about it, it sounds like a design flaw that effects the entire line. Poor quality control, probably. No one caught it in time and it got on the shelves before discovering it.
I fully understand and agree with your point.
The only thing that worries me about this particular mouse, is that if you search it on eBay, most of the products there are refurbished.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Every refurb device I've ever had has been like new, except those from Factory Direct. Everything I can think of from there has f*cked up in one way or another.

Direct from manufacturer (like Apple) refurbs are great cuz they come with full warranty and "feel" new.

Also look to Craigslist for BNIB stuff cheap.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
In our industry we routinely sell refurbished and refreshed/reconditioned equipment...and there is a big difference.

Refurbished requires that the instrument not only go to the manufacturer, but the actual manufacturing site, receive its work and pass a quality control check. So for us, we would have to ship our instrument to say the US even though we have a repair facility here in Canada.

A refreshed or reconditioned piece of equipment can be brought up to working order here at our Canadian facility.

We can get a much larger premium for refurbished; however, we have account for the additional cost.

Now, we decide if there is a warranty...and normally it is much shorter than a new product.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43262 upvotes
ONTARIO
Only refurb items ive bought recently have been logitech brand. I bought a few MX Revolution refurbs off ebay for $30-$40 and they worked fine for a while than after a year I had one of them start double clicking when trying to single click.

After phoning logitech support they allowed me to RMA my mouses and they sent me brand new ones free of charge. Still sealed in the box! I will always buy refurb logitech stuff from now on. Since I know if the device does turn out to be faulty, I can get it replaced!
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
Gee wrote: If there was fault, it would be classifed as defective, not buyers remorse.
What he's saying, and he's absolutely right because I've personally seen it, is that the buyer makes up some excuse how it doesn't work in order to return it.. This can happen regardless if there is anything wrong with it or not, when a buyer has that day to "sleep on it" and changes their mind. That's why many places now state "no refunds, credit only" policies.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
npinc wrote: What he's saying, and he's absolutely right because I've personally seen it, is that the buyer makes up some excuse how it doesn't work in order to return it.. This can happen regardless if there is anything wrong with it or not, when a buyer has that day to "sleep on it" and changes their mind. That's why many places now state "no refunds, credit only" policies.
Of course they do.

The path of lease resistance.

It is not Costco.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gee wrote: If there was fault, it would be classifed as defective, not buyers remorse.
But the retailer doesn't control this. It's the consumer. If the consumer doesn't disclose to the retailer that there is actually nothing wrong with it, how would the retailer know?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)