• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2009 12:30 am
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Duracell/Sanyo Rechargeable From Costco

So I'm giving up using Pure Energy batteries and moving onto the Duracell/Sanyo batteries. From my knowledge, the white top Duracell ones are the Eneloop, which are made in Japan. However, since I'm in dire need of rechargeable batteries, I purchased the Duracell Rechargeable kit from Costco that looks like the following picture. They are the black top and are made in China.

These Duracell batteries are fine right? I understand that they're not the Eneloop. When I get my hands on the Eneloop, can I charge them with this charger? I believe I can, but I'm not sure. Also, I'm just using them for things like my mouse, shaver, etc. Nothing really drainage heavy such as a digital camera or PSP or anything like that.

[IMG]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1770/d ... drecha.jpg[/IMG]
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
What is the speed of that charger?
Slow charger are MUCH better for the lifespan of the battery.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
According to what I saw at the back, it has to be charged in pairs and charges by the hour. This leads me to believe that it's a bad charger.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
geokilla wrote: According to what I saw at the back, it has to be charged in pairs and charges by the hour. This leads me to believe that it's a bad charger.
I have one of the Sanyo charger that came with Eneloop battery, that charge 4AA in about 2-2.5 hr. I even find that too fast, it heats up the battery way too much. I like the one that take about 4 hr for 4AA.
Jan 10, 2008
495 posts
27 upvotes
Costco still has the Sanyo/Eneloop charger combo which I think is the better deal.

Item 193776 - $17.69
Charger kit, 4AA,2 AAA
Sanyo Eneloop Rechargable Battery Kit

OR

Item 195776 - $17.59
6AA, 2AAA
Sanyo Eneloop Rechargable Batteries

Why go with the Duracell combo? You're actually paying $7.50 more for the extra 2AAA if you go with the Duracells. And of course the Eneloops are made in Japan with white tops (as you would expect).
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Rocky03 wrote: Costco still has the Sanyo/Eneloop charger combo which I think is the better deal.

Item 193776 - $17.69
Charger kit, 4AA,2 AAA
Sanyo Eneloop Rechargable Battery Kit

OR

Item 195776 - $17.59
6AA, 2AAA
Sanyo Eneloop Rechargable Batteries

Why go with the Duracell combo? You're actually paying $7.50 more for the extra 2AAA if you go with the Duracells. And of course the Eneloops are made in Japan with white tops (as you would expect).
That's Vancouver though....I didn't find any at the Woodbine and Hwy 7 Costco.

Should I return the Duracell one that I bought? Reading off the back of the packing right now and I have to charge for 6 hours for 2000mAh cell capacity batteries. They will automatically stop charging when full charge is reached, and a green LED will turn on when it's fully charged.
Jan 10, 2008
495 posts
27 upvotes
geokilla wrote: That's Vancouver though....I didn't find any at the Woodbine and Hwy 7 Costco.

Should I return the Duracell one that I bought? Reading off the back of the packing right now and I have to charge for 6 hours for 2000mAh cell capacity batteries. They will automatically stop charging when full charge is reached, and a green LED will turn on when it's fully charged.
Call around other Costcos. Not all of them have it. There were two locations (Richmond and Burnaby) that did not have them as well. I had to go to Port Coquitlam for them.

Search the forum...someone back in early November said.."Costco still have this Sanyo combo for $17.99. Both Warden & 14th /Markham."
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3140 posts
411 upvotes
geokilla wrote: That's Vancouver though....I didn't find any at the Woodbine and Hwy 7 Costco.
Did you check the one on Elgin Mills and Leslie? The last time I went to Costco (3 months ago), they still had the eneloops
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
1337rice wrote: Did you check the one on Elgin Mills and Leslie? The last time I went to Costco (3 months ago), they still had the eneloops
That's pretty far, and 3 months ago doesn't help much...Also Warden and 14 doesn't have Costco. There's one on Markham and 14 though. Guess I'll have to call around.

So in regards to the current Duracell pack I got. Is it any good?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Mississauga South has a large supply of both Eneloops packs in stock as of last night
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
l69norm wrote: Mississauga South has a large supply of both Eneloops packs in stock as of last night
Are they at the $18 price though?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
geokilla wrote: Are they at the $18 price though?
Yes. I'm sure other Costco stores in GTA that are closer to you will have them as well

BTW, it's Costco. If the Duracell's turn out to be bad 2 years from now, just take them back to Costco and get your money back
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
1337rice wrote: what? Do you drive or walk? How is that far?
You're already at Hwy 7, you just go 404 North, get off at Major Mack, head East to Leslie and that's it. It's like a 15 minute drive -_-
Far as in going out of my way for batteries that I don't even know if they have. Like I said, I gotta call in.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Got my Sanyo Eneloop batteries with charger from Costco for $18 today. So I guess it's time I return my Duracell pack I bought last week? Those Duracell ones were silver top, not white top.

Also, is there any problems if I use these Eneloops for my mouse? I don't really have anything that I would classify as "high-drainage" like a digital camera.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2007
2727 posts
522 upvotes
Markham
geokilla wrote: Also, is there any problems if I use these Eneloops for my mouse? I don't really have anything that I would classify as "high-drainage" like a digital camera.
No problem with a mouse or any cats....Shoppers Drug Mart has them Duracell on sale today...of course look for the 'whiet' tops
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Got 2 packs of White Top Duracells from Shoppers today. Definitely going to return the Duracell pack that I bought a couple weeks back.
Dec 12, 2009
1 posts
Mississauga
Gee. I created a RedFlagDeals Account just to contribute to this rechargeable forum. I was like you about rechargeables and chargers 2 years ago and wished someone could have guided me. I don't claim to be an expert now but I would like to share my experiences. I have used eneloops and imedions batteries and I am satisfied with them but I was never happy about chargers until I came across PowerEx C9000 WizardOne. It's charger meant for serious people when it comes to chargers. There's a Canadian distributor of this product in Quebec www.paulsfinest.com. He sells kitchen knives but also this charger plus batteries. I had a very good several business experience with him. And I highly recommend him. The charger charges your battery at an individual battery basis. That way, you can control and charge / condition your individual batteries base on it's condition. I actually bought 2 of these charger because the charger can only accommodate 4 AA or 4 AAA. If you are interested, research on it further and you decide for yourself. Cheers.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
On the Eneloop charger, it says to charge in pairs. What if I have stuff that use 3 batteries or just 1 battery? Do I have to charge in even amount only?

It also says I can do AA and AAA charging at the same time. Anyone tried it? Any negatives to this?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)