• Nov 30th, 2009 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Apr 29, 2006
523 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers wants ETF on 2wk old contract?

I was just wondering what the rules are on cancelling contracts with Rogers is. The contract was signed about 2 weeks ago and I was under the impression that I could cancel within 30 days if I didn't like it. Do I need a new excuse other than "Bell can give me TV and Internet for $50"? Retention doesn't seem like they care at all.

The ETF is $120 and at this point I'm ready to say to Robbers "Shove It", take your blood money and I'll be free of you.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
Re-read the contract you signed. It will tell you what the grace period is and what the terms/conditions are in order to cancel without the ETF being applied.

If you have already read them and understand what they mean, then call Rogers out on it and hold them to their own terms/conditions.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I know there's a 30 days return policy on new phones (with conditions), but I don't know about contracts.

Once you sign one you a binded to it. It doesn't matter if it's 2 weeks or 2 months or 2 years. Unless there's a specific clause that states you have 30 days to change your mind. I doubt there is but I hope I am mistaken for your sake.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
OP, be careful of Bell. That $50 combo gives you 2mb download and 800kb upload (2GB cap per month, unless you only check email and news headline. I am most definitely sure you will go over the cap)and digital basic package.

Read the fine print too,

1. modem rental not included, 3.95/month.
2. After 1 year, 5 dollar extra on the internet.
3. After 1 year, 10 dollar extra on the TV
4. TV has a digital fee of $3 / month
5. Effective January 1, 2010, monthly rates for the standard receiver will increase by $1. Monthly rates for the packages Digital Extra and Digital Max will increase by $4. Monthly rates for the other TV packages will increase by $2.

You have to sign a 2 year contract.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2013 posts
613 upvotes
Calgary
Your province may also have some consumer protection statutes that require you be given X days to cancel any contract.

That might be worth looking into.
Apr 29, 2006
523 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Tom:

The offer is for the Bell Entertainment Package. It`s a pilot so thats why the rate is so good. Internet speed is around 10 to 14 Mbps and 60GB cap, overage is capped at $30. And no contract.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
moxy wrote: Tom:

The offer is for the Bell Entertainment Package. It`s a pilot so thats why the rate is so good. Internet speed is around 10 to 14 Mbps and 60GB cap, overage is capped at $30. And no contract.
Oh THAT! :D Fair enough, carry on. Different reps' response tend to flip flop around, try a few times.
Jan 16, 2009
242 posts
11 upvotes
If they came to your house or phoned you to sell you on it, you could have some extra protection, as there's usually a legal 'cooling off period'.
Apr 29, 2006
523 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
tomtomtom wrote: Oh THAT! :D Fair enough, carry on. Different reps' response tend to flip flop around, try a few times.
I take it you approve of trying to switch? Since its free install I guess I'll just look at the etf as an install fee. Besides... When they raise the rate I'll just cancel and get Teksavvy for internet since Bell was so kind to wire me up for free.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)