Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON

GPS recommendations?

I have an old garmin streetpilot that is great. I needed another GPS so I bought the garmin 255W, which is horrible. There is almost no detail in the maps (i.e. street names) in map mode (and very little in 'where to' mode). Garmin claims to have removed the detail to get rid of the clutter and increase battery life...which doesn't make sense to me. I plug into car so battery isn't an issue and they added these silly little vehicle icons - now THAT'S clutter. I read that they removed the detail so the more expensive OEM vehicle navs are more attractive. For whatever reason, this new garmin is junk.
I'm looking for a reasonably priced GPS that shows the detail ..I don't need a load of extras - any suggestions? The tomtom is very popular and seems a good price..and the mio moov ....so many to choose from...
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Nuvi 350 (2008) and I have to go in the menu to select MOST detail in the map. With the setting @ MOST, it is better than good enough, certainly better than my TomTom One which is junk.

Why they have a setting to select map detail is beyond me. If they remove that selection then I may not be buying more Garmin either :lol:

POI is not a big deal if your unit takes an SD card.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Thanks for the suggestion..but it doesn't make any difference on the newer nuvi's. Do your research before you invest in one. I have scoured the forums and see there are quite a few people that are upset about this lack of detail.
Imagine, if you will, a nice 4.3" screen and a load of squiggly lines representing roads - with no street names - useless!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Try zoom in "+" one notch. If you still don't see it, I agree it's BS. It'll pi$$ me off royally if fairly key things are being stripped in entry models. A GPS is a GPS, I expect to see some street names also.

Spread the 'warning' if you still don't see nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I posted another view in this thread ...I've tried all kinds of zooms, settings...detail isn't there. But it seems this is common for these entry models..so hold onto your older units if you have one!