Computers & Electronics

Do we need seperate sound cards anymore?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2009 12:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2927 posts
334 upvotes
Nations Capital

Do we need seperate sound cards anymore?

okay planning to upgrade my old core2duo to a i5 by the end of the yr. Right now I have an sb x-fi extreme music card, that I like. I am wondering if I really need to use it anymore with the new mobos? will I gain anything by keeping on using it in the new build? will be using win7 64 if that makes any diff.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Calmuser wrote: okay planning to upgrade my old core2duo to a i5 by the end of the yr. Right now I have an sb x-fi extreme music card, that I like. I am wondering if I really need to use it anymore with the new mobos? will I gain anything by keeping on using it in the new build? will be using win7 64 if that makes any diff.
Expect problems with that audio card. I had to revert back to my onboard in order for me to hear sound properly (under Win7 64bit).
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3619 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
I have no problem with mine. You just have to download driver and set your audio to your sound card under Sound when you right click on the volume icon. Set your sound card as default.

I also have Win7 x64. If I didn't do that, only my monitor will have sound (monitor has speakers).
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
I also have the same card and also am running Win7 64bit with no problems at all.

My asus mobo has on board "Hd" audio which sounds fine but it sounds way better using the sound card.