Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa

ie6 crashing

ive never had problem with my ie6 running in winxp until 2 months or so ago. it usually loads quickly. sometimes it loads kind of slow and if i try to click on the "x" button to close out or scroll down before, it just freezes or crashes. if it freeze, theres a chance of it unfreezing if i leave it alone until it unfreezes. else, it just turns into "not responding." if it crashes instead of freezes, theres nothing i can do except use end task like 20 times just to close all the browser windows.

like i said, its always been working perfectly fine until a few months ago. anyone knows what happened and any fix for it?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
gta1216 wrote: ive never had problem with my ie6 running in winxp until 2 months or so ago. it usually loads quickly. sometimes it loads kind of slow and if i try to click on the "x" button to close out or scroll down before, it just freezes or crashes. if it freeze, theres a chance of it unfreezing if i leave it alone until it unfreezes. else, it just turns into "not responding." if it crashes instead of freezes, theres nothing i can do except use end task like 20 times just to close all the browser windows.

like i said, its always been working perfectly fine until a few months ago. anyone knows what happened and any fix for it?
A couple of things to look at.

a) Is it set as your default browser? If not, make it so, even if you use another one most the time. With IE being so tightly integrated into Windows, it (and Windows) does strange things when it's not default.

b) Have other Windows updates been done? Updating parts of Windows without updating your browser can cause this.

c) Have you checked what add-ins are running in the browser? A malfunctioning add-in, such as a recently updated AV program or flash, could cause this

d) Have you cleaned your cache, etc? Perhaps your drive isn't in the best shape and the IE cache/temp files are getting out of control

e) Have you done a drive repair and defrag lately? If not, it's worth doing.

f) Do you have toolbars installed? If so, get rid of them and try it.

g) Have you checked for infections with something besides Spybot, Ad-aware, Norton or Mcafee lately? If not, it's worth doing that as well.

h) Update your browser to IE 8. There are many reasons for doing so, including speed, stability and security.

There are a few places to start.
Jul 23, 2003
537 posts
55 upvotes
Rideau Lakes
I had the same problem, but then I stopped using IE6. It was over 6 years ago. Maybe you should try the same.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6239 posts
4340 upvotes
Victoria
IE8 is very good after a few cosmetic tweaks. I also like the crash recovery that it has. :razz:
Oct 30, 2002
104 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm using IE6 too.
It crashes sometimes. I accept that.
If you don't want IE to crash -> upgrade to IE 7 or 8.

Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
didnt realize its been so long since i posted this message. anyway...

i tried ie7 in the past and didnt like it at all. it use so much memory that it was slowing the browser and the pc itself down a lot. got tired of it and went back to ie6.

hows ie8? same as ie7?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'm a die hard IE6 user.

Hilariously... it's more stable than firefox. Less fat too.
Highest RAM usage on IE6 I've seen is like 400MB. Highest on FF was 1.8GB.

The main issue is security though. I wouldn't go to most websites with IE6, especially any with questionable ad sources.
Right behind is rendering.

But I do use it at select "safe" sites.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
gta1216 wrote: ive never had problem with my ie6 running in winxp until 2 months or so ago. it usually loads quickly. sometimes it loads kind of slow and if i try to click on the "x" button to close out or scroll down before, it just freezes or crashes. if it freeze, theres a chance of it unfreezing if i leave it alone until it unfreezes. else, it just turns into "not responding." if it crashes instead of freezes, theres nothing i can do except use end task like 20 times just to close all the browser windows.

Just in case you do not want to try other browsers, have you tried to set security settings back to default. That usually helps with these kinds of quirks. But there is no reason to stick with IE6. Try Firefox for a light weight browser that will work well with older machines.
Dec 23, 2008
915 posts
121 upvotes
Guelph
Upgrade to IE8, or better yet use Firefox!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)