Shopping Discussion

Logitech warranty is ridiclous and absurd !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2009 11:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2805 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto

Logitech warranty is ridiclous and absurd !!!

Hi, I am writing here to relate a personal experience of how ridiculous the Logitech warranty is.

I bought a Logitech MX 3200 a little more than a year ago and it has a warranty of 5 years. The mouse started to have problem couple months ago as non-responsive. I called their Tech support on Nov 20th, they didn’t have any MX 3200 in stock and offered me other lower-end products for replacement. I chose to wait and was told they would call me back in 2 weeks. Two weeks went by and no call. I called Tech support today (Dec 6th) and learned that the product is discontinued. I raised my concerns that I don’t want the other lower-end products such as MK 700 (less features and mouse is not laser). I told the rep that I would like to stick to the MX series and I agreed to pay for the difference for MX 5500.

I got transferred to the Billing and told them that I would be happy to pay the difference between the MX 3200 and MX 5500. They claimed MX 3200 is not listed on its site, so they got the price quoted from Amazon.com for $84 and then turned around to tell me the MX 5500 is selling for $220 on their site which that is the difference I have to pay. I immediately pointed out the unfairness that MX 5500 is only selling for $130 on Amazon.com. They didn’t care about it even after I explained to them that this comparison makes no sense, they chose Amazon.com for price reference but refused accept the price of MX 5500 there. The Billing manager kept telling me that MX 3200 is a legacy product and this is how they do it, and he also tells me that I have to pay the shipping as well for the replacement.

I always thought Logitech make good products and their warranty is as good as their products. And I actually owned lots of Logitech products such as headphone, controllers, speakers, mouse and keyboard. Now, I found their both warranty policy and customer services are ridiculous and absurd. I can actually buy a new MX 5500 at a local store for the price of difference plus shipping they required as it goes on sale from $99 to $129 time to time.
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2004
1069 posts
216 upvotes
That's pretty odd.

I have actually had extremely great warranty service from Logitech. A few questions, no receipt, and they were on their way to sending me a new product and I could still keep my broken one.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
3117 posts
1665 upvotes
Um...I've had my MX3200 replaced 3 times now. I have so many extra parts that I doubt I'll ever need to buy another desktop combo again.

They even replaced my Z5500's without question.

Hands down the best warranty in the industry.
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
I've actually had excellent experiences with Logitech. They replaced my cordless media mouse after it stopped responding and when that mouse malfunctioned after a year, they replaced the replacement with a better mouse. They didn't even ask me to return the defective one.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3400 posts
105 upvotes
You should have hang up and called again. =P

You probably weren't speaking a "manager" but another customer service rep. beside the one you were talking to earlier.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
I've also had nothing but great service from Logitech. I would definitely buy from them again.
Jul 15, 2008
748 posts
662 upvotes
Calgary
I've had items replaced by logitech, 2 days after I called, shipped via DHL express. Didn't need to send back my old one, very few questions asked, very polite. I can't say anything bad about them at all. Great products, great service. There have been people that had either a mouse or kb of a combo set broken, and logitech sends them a whole new set. There are many people on RFD that can vouch for Logitech warranty as being one of the best, if not the best.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3619 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
how do they know it's really not working anymore if you don't send yours back?

anyone can just call in and ask for a replacement if that's the case?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
I have only good things to say about Logitech warranty. Always top notch.

Lately tho I noticed they require the original product back and the receipt as well (unlike 3 years ago). Also my last claim for my USB350 keyboard took quite a bit to be processed.

I hope their quality is not dropping.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1759 posts
odd indeed...never had any problems with there warranty claims over the past years. I have exchange many items that range pretty high, sometimes they ask a copy of the reciept or ask the item to be shipped back to them but always they follow up and exchange with a new replacement.

Last item i claimed in z5500 speakers, center channel stop working and called them up told them the problem provided the numbers on the systems itself and told me there no point of shipping the whole system or that speaker back so they shipped me a brand new one within the week. Its probally a misunderstanding, i would checked back at them and see other solution
FEEDBACKS:

HEATWARE

HOFO
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2805 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe their policy has changed, this is actually the first time I called them for warranty claim after owning so many Logitech products already.
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
to have warranty, does it have to be within x amount of years since purchase and do u have to mail in your receipt too? i have a mx1000 (or whatever the model is) and i hear people are sending them in for the newest edition upgrade for free..
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
goJays wrote: i have a mx1000 (or whatever the model is) and i hear people are sending them in for the newest edition upgrade for free..
And then people wonder why Logitech has to clamp down on their warranty policies :rolleyes:

<RANT>
The same situation with Microsoft. They used to send replacement mice and keyboards without question and without asking for the defective product to be returned. Then people started bragging on forums like this about how they got free stuff by lying about "defective" products that weren't. And then soon thereafter people started complaining about how they were getting hassled about their legitimate claims because Microsoft had clamped down on warranty replacements.

D'oh!
</RANT>
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
When my Harmony remote broke they just sent me a new one and I got to keep the old one (which is now in the garbage :cheesygri )
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
1260 posts
462 upvotes
When I called them about my wireless headphones I didn't have a copy of the receipt or anything and they replaced them without any issues each time> I had to send one part of the headphones back and then they sent me a new pair. When my Harmony 880 had problems with the number 9 not working while under warranty they just sent me a new one and told me to throw the other one in the garbage.