• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2010 7:21 am
Tags:
None
Nov 16, 2007
83 posts
Ottawa

Netbook Bilingual Keyboards

Looking to pick up a netbook. I have been looking around BB and FS here in Ottawa and note that only Asus and Dell come with an English keyboard. The guy at BB told me that is the way it is in this market. Do the Toshibas and Samsungs come with English keyboards in Western Canada?
11 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
hp have english keyboard also
The sweetest gyal
Nov 16, 2007
83 posts
Ottawa
sexyj wrote: hp have english keyboard also
I will take a look but the ones today in BB Ottawa East were bilingual.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
Western Canada is no different. These manfacturers didn't want to ship notebooks with bilingual keyboards to Quebec, and notebooks with english keyboards to the rest of Canada, so they decided we'd all get stuck with bilinguals, even though it would piss off a lot less people if it were the other way around.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
fortphil wrote: I will take a look but the ones today in BB Ottawa East were bilingual.
The hp's sold at staples have english ones...

maybe that's just with BB :?:
The sweetest gyal
Nov 16, 2007
83 posts
Ottawa
sexyj wrote: The hp's sold at staples have english ones...

maybe that's just with BB :?:
HPs at Costco are bilingual. I will check out Staples.
Have a work trip to BC shortly and was hoping there would be more variety in English keyboards out there. Guess not. Will likely buy in the US.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2764 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
You could get a US keyboard off ebay and replace it, costing around $30ish.
Dec 23, 2008
542 posts
2 upvotes
For many models you can even find it around $20. Personally I would find one that works best and then replace the keyboard. Not all companies have good ones in every category.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
lol from my experiences, Dell seem to be the only company with the standard US keyboard. Other brands are all bilingual
May 6, 2009
125 posts
47 upvotes
Wow, you lot are well and truly lame. The "bilingual" keyboard layout is actually the Canadian standard layout, as in standardized by the CSA. It differs in a very minor way with the US layout.

Why this is so upsetting to so many if you, is beyond me. I'm actually proud that we have our own distinct keyboard, which is also very flexible for character entry for European languages.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
adr1an wrote: Wow, you lot are well and truly lame. The "bilingual" keyboard layout is actually the Canadian standard layout, as in standardized by the CSA. It differs in a very minor way with the US layout.

Why this is so upsetting to so many if you, is beyond me. I'm actually proud that we have our own distinct keyboard, which is also very flexible for character entry for European languages.
A "very flexible character entry for European languages" might be important for you however it is not for me and I would prefer an English only keyboard. Just my preference. Hopefully the governnment has not or will not legislate "the Canadian standard layout" and allow those of us who prefer a choice to continue to have one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)