• Dec 10th, 2009 1:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes

What should I do with this HP printer?

I have a HP inkjet printer that does NOT scan (properly).

I have tried to get it to work in Linux and XP but it doesn't work in either.

So, I concentrated on troubleshooting in XP. After much frustration and time wasted (apparently), I'm going on the assumption that it is defective.

It's an HP Photosmart C4480 w/ no wireless. This series of HP printers seem to have a mixed review. Many buyers rave about it while half seem to give it two thumbs down. The main problem seems to be paper jams. I've had paper jams but this scanning problem is especially troubling.

I receive a message that I can't have the highest quality since scanning attempts fail. I receive various messages including 'type of paper not detected' or ''Alignment Failed.'

I'm wondering if I should sell it or just put up with it. I know I'd have to list the problem and I have no problem with that. I would even state I'm not sure if it's defective but the scanning function doesn't seem to work.

I bought it used but the buyer said it was never taken out the box. Yet, the printer doesn't work properly?

What should I do? I have discovered that HP has a support forum. I wanted to just state my total frustration with the printer as I don't think anything can be done. I would probably get posts censured anyways. I guess it wouldn't help.

Any ideas of what to do? Just use the printing? The quality is lowered, though, because the damn printer can't align properly?

Anyone else own a HP and have a similar problem?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes
Now I must confess I do not know that much about HP printers but here is a idea did you compare the serial number of your printer with the serial number on the box. I have heard of cases with some stores apparently putting in returned product in semi matching boxes (different serial numbers) and then resealing them to appear to brand new product. Perhaps something what I heard about occured to you. Also maybe you could trying contacting the store you bought it from and explain your problem or even the HP itself and ask them if any other purchasers of the same printer have contacted them re the same problem.
Nov 5, 2005
214 posts
Niagara-on-the-Lake,…
Did you try to use it right after you brought it home? If so I'd let it warm up/cool down to room temperature and proper moisture/humidity.

Also printers usually have diagnostic check/calibration onboard and also with their driver/software bundle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)