• May 18th, 2010 1:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2003
1361 posts
28 upvotes

Best place to buy large appliances?

Out of Sears and Futureshop (stores which seem to have the most selection), which one is better to purchase from? I'm mainly looking at customer service if something went wrong with the appliance. Who would give me less hassles in terms of repair or return? I am in Ottawa so other smaller stores in Toronto won't help me. We have a store called Corbeil out here, but i've heard bad things.

Another question is, when is the best time to generally buy an appliance (Fridge/Stove)? I am seeing some deals now, but don't know if they go down in price alot for boxing week like electronics do.

Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
81 upvotes
Try Leon's. They've had some nice sales recently.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT go to Appliance Canada. They have HORRIBLE customer service when it comes to returns. I bought a Washing machine recently from them and wanted to return it like 2 days after - completely untouched and completely sealed - and they gave me so much hassle over it. I had to call them like 5 times.

When they delivered it in the first place, THEY took it out of the box and put it in my basement - didn't leave the box or offer me the box. When I wanted to return it, they were like, "yeah you don't even have the box". No ****. You didn't give it to me. Anyways, it didn't really take me long to make them feel stupid about that point - but just gives you an idea of how ******* they are.

In the end I ended up paying 20% for restocking and the pickup charge of $30 - which is fine since it was stated on the receipt. It just amazed me how difficult it was for them honor the return conditions on the damn receipt. That being said, I don't think Leon's has a restocking fee - which is yet another good point.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2003
1361 posts
28 upvotes
Phoenix3434 wrote: Try Leon's. They've had some nice sales recently.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT go to Appliance Canada. They have HORRIBLE customer service when it comes to returns. I bought a Washing machine recently from them and wanted to return it like 2 days after - completely untouched and completely sealed - and they gave me so much hassle over it. I had to call them like 5 times.

When they delivered it in the first place, THEY took it out of the box and put it in my basement - didn't leave the box or offer me the box. When I wanted to return it, they were like, "yeah you don't even have the box". No ****. You didn't give it to me. Anyways, it didn't really take me long to make them feel stupid about that point - but just gives you an idea of how ******* they are.

In the end I ended up paying 20% for restocking and the pickup charge of $30 - which is fine since it was stated on the receipt. It just amazed me how difficult it was for them honor the return conditions on the damn receipt. That being said, I don't think Leon's has a restocking fee - which is yet another good point.
Thanks for the info. I will be sure to ask about return policies and restocking fees when I buy.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I would look for independent stores in your area. They'll give you better advice and much better service than Sears, FS or Leon's. Most will price match the big guys too.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
bylo wrote: I would look for independent stores in your area. They'll give you better advice and much better service than Sears, FS or Leon's. Most will price match the big guys too.
Exactly. When we bought all our new appliances, we shopped around, found the best prices we could ANYWHERE in Ontario, then brought those prices into a local store Joyce and Sweaner, who matched if not beat, every price we found.

We bought our fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer, dryer and microwave from them.
Jan 18, 2008
645 posts
73 upvotes
I put my vote in for Lowes. Excellent service and 10% price match guarantee.
Apr 4, 2008
513 posts
838 upvotes
carolina girl wrote: I put my vote in for Lowes. Excellent service and 10% price match guarantee.
Lowes is awesome, can't wait for their store openings in Calgary.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
The Bay :)

theygave me an extra 10% off the sale prices,
and Sears refused to beat the Bay's prices and told me to go away and shop at the Bay (this was Rideau centre locaation...)

I bought 5 appliances there and also got free extended warranties too :)
I also think they had delivery for free on everything and you got hbcpoints that were a lot (like worth $100 or so),
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
Sears is very good for customer service. We don't have a big store in Midland, just a small one with appliances, TV's etc., but you can pick up your order their. I think it's called a catalogue store.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2003
1361 posts
28 upvotes
Bookpreviews wrote: The Bay :)

theygave me an extra 10% off the sale prices,
and Sears refused to beat the Bay's prices and told me to go away and shop at the Bay (this was Rideau centre locaation...)

I bought 5 appliances there and also got free extended warranties too :)
I also think they had delivery for free on everything and you got hbcpoints that were a lot (like worth $100 or so),
Really? I'll have to check out the Bay too then.

Too bad there's no Lowes in Ottawa.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep them coming. I will definitely explore all avenues before purchasing.
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
gordholio wrote: Sears is very good for customer service. We don't have a big store in Midland, just a small one with appliances, TV's etc., but you can pick up your order their. I think it's called a catalogue store.
WOW I want your happy pills. :D
If youi really believe that SEARS has a good customer service, which company would you call out for bad service?
Sears has one of the worst customer services after sale! If you ever have to deal with them on a warranty rewuest for an appliance, you'll never want to deal with them again.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
Phoenix3434 wrote: Do not, I repeat DO NOT go to Appliance Canada...
I have to agree, I had to wait over 1.5 hrs just to speak to a sales rep at their store, just to get prices that were nowhere near as good as Sears, Bay and Home Depot and the sales reps don't know anything about the products they sell.
They are a complete waste of time!

I would actually go with The Bay, good selection, very competitive pricing and good after sales service!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
HockeyFan wrote: Really? I'll have to check out the Bay too then.

Too bad there's no Lowes in Ottawa.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep them coming. I will definitely explore all avenues before purchasing.
Uhh, a new Lowes just opened in Orleans. ;)
pompoco wrote: WOW I want your happy pills. :D
If youi really believe that SEARS has a good customer service, which company would you call out for bad service?
Sears has one of the worst customer services after sale! If you ever have to deal with them on a warranty rewuest for an appliance, you'll never want to deal with them again.
+1000! We had our own Sears service nightmare with a fridge. We have vowed never to spend another dime with them. Funny that is... How an almost 2 year saga of trying to get a clearly defective outer skin on a Kenmore fridge actually fixed will do that huh? Just an FYI, Leons will pricematch as well. We did it on a Samsung fridge when everyone was clearling them out for the new design and model.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
CSK'sMom wrote: +1000!
Even if that "!" was a factorial it would still be too small a number. Sears service sux. End of story.

(Once upon a time Sears service was top-notch. Those days are long gone. Get over it.)
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)