Shopping Discussion

Trying to find a way to buy an item off Newegg.com, will a visa gift card work?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2009 2:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5143 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond bc

Trying to find a way to buy an item off Newegg.com, will a visa gift card work?

Hi guys, I'm trying to get an Asus vento off newegg.com but the fact that you need a us confirmed address is preventing me. From what I've read visa gift cards are allowed, do you think it would be the same for Canadian visa gift cards? I'm shipping it to a us address (the letter carrier).

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3434 posts
42 upvotes
Coquitlam
Canadian issued VISA gift card will most likely not work.

You might want to try a US issued VISA card instead because they do verification. Even with a US issued VISA gift card, if your address is not confirmed, then your order will not be shipped. If you really want to do some online shopping from newegg, consider getting a bank account in the states. I have an US confirmed address for my Paypal at a shipping depot in Point Roberts.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5143 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond bc
How, do they confirm with a us issued visa gift card? The thing is i got 2 days to do w/e I can to get a visa till my order cancels then I gotta pay $40 more for the item I wanted

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1296 posts
181 upvotes
Beamsville
why not just use your normal credit card and use your US address to have it shipped to?

Granted maybe Newegg actually checks but I've ordered tires from the States and I used my Canadian Master Card and my US shipping address and it's worked in the past.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3434 posts
42 upvotes
Coquitlam
ali123 wrote: How, do they confirm with a us issued visa gift card? The thing is i got 2 days to do w/e I can to get a visa till my order cancels then I gotta pay $40 more for the item I wanted

Thanks
You can try, what item are you exactly looking at? There are other websites such as Buy.com that sells computer products too.
May 12, 2004
984 posts
244 upvotes
You can do this with an AMEX Canada card. I have a registered US shipping address (relative) that expires after a set date of my choosing. Then I use that shipping address along with my AMEX home billing address and its all good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5143 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond bc
Badger wrote: You can try, what item are you exactly looking at? There are other websites such as Buy.com that sells computer products too.
I'm looking at a Asus vento 3600 which no one else sells oh well
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
When you buy a prepaid Visa card at SDM, pharmaprix or the grocery store like MAXI, you pay a small fee, like $6 on $100 card...

When you register your address and info online YOU GET 1 CHANCE! you cannot change anything afterwards.

SO yes you can verisy your address and phone number. But you should try and get a US card instead.

Although you can make purchases wtih a canadian one but will pay conversion fee.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5143 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond bc
Aww man, I almost had it but they found out my card was international even though it had a us address
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
iEye wrote: When you register your address and info online YOU GET 1 CHANCE! you cannot change anything afterwards.
You can change the address on cards issued by Vancity. The only thing you can't change is the name.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
You can also change the address on a MBNA card.

my address is vermont and florida.

But Sephora canceled my order even though it was a US billing address because I have a Canadian bank issued card.

Sephora, that really does not want my money told me I had to reregister for a new act with a US issued bank card to ship something to the US :(
just too much trouble for me :evil:

now the itms I wanted are out of stock..so not goingto place an order..save my $