Tags:
None
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Any preferences of screen size or battery life? Also what type of games?
Apr 4, 2007
10 posts
Toronto
Screen size should be at least 15".

I don't know what kinds of games. He's almost 11. He wanted to download Combat Arms on my work computer but I can't let him.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
Every company excels & fails so stick to your budget and purchase the best value / or purchase for the best support.

Acer has a bad reputation for quality assurance and if you search RFD you'll discover members really frustrated by Acer's failure rate & lack of service (or expensive service rates). I buy Acer because it's usually the cheapest and I'll flip it before warranty ends.

Lenovo has the worst customer service call centre & sales. However, if you're purchasing their Thinkpads (not the idealpads) then it will hold up. Since IBM's PC segment was sold to Lenovo I can't justify the higher prices because quality has actually declined. Still better than others.

Asus gets thumbs up from many RFDers and their service centre is in Markham/Richmond Hill I believe. Good performance for your money.

Apple is the all-around winner if you can afford it. Apple care takes care of problems and reseal value is higher. Tons of demand for $600 Macbooks but nobody will sniff at a $200 used Acer when Futureshop is selling brand new "loss leaders" for $369.

HP / Toshiba / LG / others: you have to research user feedback because they all put out lemons as well as good deals. HP's 6000 series has overheating issues, Toshiba is improving, LG has stopped PC manufacturing completely beginning December 09.

- If I only had $400 to spend I would purchase a Toshiba or Acer. Your best value is purchasing USED with warranty in BST
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
The ASUS UL80VT or UL50VT are options to look at. In addition, the Dell Vostro units are decently priced.
Apr 4, 2007
10 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Where can I buy those 2 asus models?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
A thousand dollars laptop of a 11 years old? wow you must be pretty well off.

If I were you, I'll head over to expresscanada.ca and check out their refurbish units, this 14" Gateway is not bad for the price but I don't have $400 budget so I went for a $293 Acer instead since I will only use it for web browsing, word processing and DVD while I am out of town.

http://www.xpresscanada.ca/xce.php/main ... LPGA000182
Apr 4, 2007
10 posts
Toronto
The laptop isn't just for my 11 year old. The whole family will use it.