• Dec 20th, 2009 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2007
243 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary

Will you be camping out this year?

I know, it's too early to ask. But do you plan on camping out for a deal this year? If yes, what do you hope to scoop up? :D
I am the liquor.
Jim Lahey, Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor
It's liquor day Randy.
45 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
1974 posts
156 upvotes
British Columbia
Stoneman wrote: I know, it's too early to ask. But do you plan on camping out for a deal this year? If yes, what do you hope to scoop up? :D
To early to ask, and wrong forum to post.
Belongs in discussion…..

PS: NO i wont camp out, I dont revolve my world around merchandise, they are merely an element in it...
Nov 29, 2009
60 posts
vancouver BC
never have and never will. I dont see anything that great about boxing day sales considering there are always sales all year around, especially electronics
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12875 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
camping? no

but waking up very early? maybe
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
stores open at 1PM over here and from what i learned last year, i'll line up at around 11AM (if HMV has good deals).

not going to get there early and freezing myself up and drinking 4 cups of coffee :lol:
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20056 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto
Last year I lined up at bestbuy at 5 pm (stores open 7)...they handed out some packets which kept your hands and feet warm and also handed out tickets so you can gurantee your item will be there if you are in the line up and yeah i got everything i went for and even more :P but nearly froze!!!

*Remember this also depends on whether i can get this stuff online first...
last time i lined up as bestbuy was ripping me off on shipping...$50 for a tv, $15 for xbox, $2 ea for 3 games, $30 for Subwoofer, $20 for home theater reciever...that was a big amount for me so I bought it online to ensure I get it (sold out seconds later) and then went to store about 2hrs before opening and was able to get everything there as well so cancelled everything online
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
Probably not. Depends on the weather, and whether there is anything worthwhile camping out for.

BTW: At the Empress Walk FS.. is the lineup indoors (ie. walk off North York subway station..) or outside?
So long. I'm outta here.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
1390 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Never have, never will. Sorry my health is too important, even if it was warm that would mean losing sleep. Ordering online if I find any deals and be done with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
It's fun to camp out if you are able to find some friends to do it with you. Most of my friends aren't interetsed in things like that though.

It really depends on whether there are good deals. Last couple of years I wasn't interested in anything so stayed home where it's nice and warm.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1049 posts
57 upvotes
Hamilton
Never camped for boxing day, online shopping FTW!
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
number8888 wrote: It's fun to camp out if you are able to find some friends to do it with you.
+1 1am at FS ;) lol

I'll definately line up with there are good deals.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20056 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto
Matrixvibe wrote: +1 1am at FS ;) lol

I'll definately line up with there are good deals.
Why camp at FS lol it's always empty...its all about BB...FS never has the best deals
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
deal_with_singh wrote: Why camp at FS lol it's always empty...its all about BB...FS never has the best deals
lol, i was refering to my previous years. And there are also a good amount of people at FS as well
Mar 4, 2008
91 posts
36 upvotes
Camped? Never. Though I was in line for about 5 hours or so for the XBOX 360 when it launched.

To even get me into a retail store on Boxing Day this year I'd need to see:

$50 - 32GB SDHC
$120 - 24" LCD's Monitors or
$250 - 32" LCD TVs
$150 - 360 Elites or 60GB Version
$10 - New BD movies, $5 Catalog Titles (on 20 movies I'd actually want)
30% or better off DSLR Glass
$400 - Canon S90
$5 Ink Cartridges

Some ******** door crasher deal on an amazing Home Theatre Receiver, like an RXZ7 for $1200 or something.

And of course I'd have to not be able to buy it online.

I guess what I'm looking for are prices that will not or just barely be reached the following year like when I bought my 32" Aquos 4 or 5 years ago. Has to be that kind of a deal. Basically I gotta save brown bills to put up with the zombie horde.

Based on the recession and the seemingly already thin margins the stores are down to, I don't really expect to see it happen. I suppose the 360 is possible and BluRay pricing is getting more and more aggresive. But yeah... it would take an impossible deal to get me to camp for anything.

"First 10 people get 0% leasing"
"First five in line get to knee McGuinty in the nads"
"First in line gets 7 minutes in heaven with Jennifer Aniston"
"First in line gets an extra weeks paid vacation for $99.95"

You know... things that are actually worth the effort. :p
Nov 22, 2006
634 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
i don't think its worth it to camp out anymore

most of the stores try to unload old stocks on boxing day, they have some good deals, but the quantity are limited.

i bought an lcd monitor many many years ago for half the regular price on boxing day, and 2 months later, it dropped to the same price, lol

might want to pick up some cheap games thou
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3430 posts
53 upvotes
London
I don't think so, last year was bad, and with the economy tanking further, there's not much deals to be had for sure.

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
Weighing the savings on the key door crashers, doesn't really seem worth it. Especially if you can get BB/FS online. Though going early to get a decent parking spot matters if it's at a mall.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
I love being able to veg on Boxing day, be in my Pjamas and relax with the kids. Play with the new toys I got, etc Never have been to a store on Boxing day and never will. But to each their own
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1942 posts
1109 upvotes
I think that the way things go today, the super massive hot Boxing Day deal today becomes the regular, everyday price within a few months, so if you can wait, you can save yourself a lot of hassle.

I have never waited in line for any kind of sale for longer than maybe an hour (a Henry's grand opening where the first X people got gift cards). Would I camp out overnight? Definitely not at Christmas, in Ottawa no less. I might consider it in the summer months if there was a super hot deal.

Put it this way: would you rather stand in line in -20 degree cold overnight so you can save a few hundred dollars, or put in a few extra hours of overtime at work or take a few extra shifts, to earn a few hundred dollars? I know not everyone has that choice but I would certainly prefer to work, it's more productive for everyone.

Ultimately this is just stuff, and I'm not going to waste time or risk my health if it's not necessary. I will, however, brave the crowded malls on December 26 if there is a good deal to be had.

The easiest thing to do, however, is to shop online. ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)