Computers & Electronics

Good netbook deal? (Acer Aspire One AOD250-1428)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2009 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 7, 2008
277 posts
19 upvotes

Good netbook deal? (Acer Aspire One AOD250-1428)

I'm looking for a netbook and am not the biggest computer expert on the planet, so I'm wondering if $329.99 for this netbook is a good deal:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... langid=EN#

I only want it for internet browsing and taking notes in class, pretty much, so I don't really care about it having massive power. My big thing is that I want it to have a non-bilingual keyboard and battery life of at least 8 hours. Preferably Windows 7 over XP. My budget is $400 pre-tax.

Should I get it? Wait for a better deal? Get a different netbook or brand? Make sure I have a good optometrist for when I lose my eyesight from squinting at a netbook screen?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
ziggy13 wrote: I'm looking for a netbook and am not the biggest computer expert on the planet, so I'm wondering if $329.99 for this netbook is a good deal:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... langid=EN#

I only want it for internet browsing and taking notes in class, pretty much, so I don't really care about it having massive power. My big thing is that I want it to have a non-bilingual keyboard and battery life of at least 8 hours. Preferably Windows 7 over XP. My budget is $400 pre-tax.

Should I get it? Wait for a better deal? Get a different netbook or brand? Make sure I have a good optometrist for when I lose my eyesight from squinting at a netbook screen?
Wal-mart is selling the same one for $288 - we just got one for my mother on the weekend.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Aug 7, 2008
277 posts
19 upvotes
I thought WalMart only sold 3 cell battery versions? The $288 lists 3 cell on the website. The Best Buy one is 3 cell too, whereas the FS one offers 6 cells/9 hours. FS one is also N280, not N270, and has 250GB, not 160GB. Also, looks like BB version is XP, while FS is Windows 7.

Does anyone know if this'll have a bilingual keyboard or not? My local store is OOS so I can't go look. It just says the operating system is English and it has 84 keys... Does that mean keyboard will be English too?

BB one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=28597
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
ziggy13 wrote: I thought WalMart only sold 3 cell battery versions? The $288 lists 3 cell on the website. The Best Buy one is 3 cell too, whereas the FS one offers 6 cells/9 hours. FS one is also N280, not N270, and has 250GB, not 160GB. Also, looks like BB version is XP, while FS is Windows 7.

Does anyone know if this'll have a bilingual keyboard or not? My local store is OOS so I can't go look. It just says the operating system is English and it has 84 keys... Does that mean keyboard will be English too?

BB one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=28597
Oops! Sorry! I just remembered the first part of the model. Yes, you are right, the Wal-mart version has a 3-cell battery and only 160GB HDD. However, Wal-mart has W 7 Starter on their respective netbooks. I suppose it is up to you if you want to pay 30-40 more for a larger HDD and increased capacity battery. I do not think the keyboard is bilingual.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Aug 7, 2008
277 posts
19 upvotes
Ok, thanks for the help :) Battery life is the most important feature to me, so I guess I'll wait to check out NCIX's Boxing Day sale, then if there's nothing good, pull the trigger on this one.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
The prices of netbooks with Atom I will come further down in Jan 2010 as the new models with Atom II are scheduled to be released in Jan 4. I think we will be able to get some good clearance deals in the new year ...
Aug 7, 2008
277 posts
19 upvotes
^ I heard something like that, good to know what it's about. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll hold off until that happens. I'm going to FS to check out this model today anyways, because they're suddenly in stock when they weren't before.

And thanks for linking to that netbook, froggie! Holy 14 hour battery life. Wish my local store had one in stock to check it out, but none of the closest 3 have it :(
Dec 29, 2009
1 posts
FS MSI NB even on N280 runs on bus speed 533 (as listed), and Acer N280 runs on 677.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2005
1229 posts
1 upvote
laertnoM, cebeuQ
willy wrote: The prices of netbooks with Atom I will come further down in Jan 2010 as the new models with Atom II are scheduled to be released in Jan 4. I think we will be able to get some good clearance deals in the new year ...
next year... yeah and wait next next year and another great deal will come out. and if wanted, wait next next next next next next next next year and no laptop for life. :twisted:

there's always new thing added into pc every year, so if you are satisfied with the laptop spec and price, then buy it.

as me, a netbook should be less than $300, if not it's a ripoff.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
jamewoong wrote: next year... yeah and wait next next year and another great deal will come out. and if wanted, wait next next next next next next next next year and no laptop for life. :twisted:

there's always new thing added into pc every year, so if you are satisfied with the laptop spec and price, then buy it.

as me, a netbook should be less than $300, if not it's a ripoff.
But the interesting thing is "next year" is only a few days away :idea:

And it's not only something new, it's major upgrade in terms of power consumption. The G945 chipset will finally be gone ! Hurray ! It means either thinner/small models or longer battery life. How can I resist that !!

Honestly, it's none of my business whether you buy it now or later. I just want to give everyone a headsup ....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)