• Jan 1st, 2010 7:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1513 posts
1494 upvotes

Family Guy Volume 7 Packing Question

Went out hunting for Family Guy Vol. 7 during the boxing day sales. I remember about a week ago when I saw it at FS it was the same packaging as Volumes 1-6, 3 mini cases inside a box.

However each store I went to, Volume 7 was simply a clear DVD case with a cover ?! What gives ? When the heck did they cheap out ? Is it the retailers that ordered a different looking boxset ?

Hoping someone could shed some light on it...I obviously want the other boxset, the one that looks the same as the other ones and the ones pictured on websites like FS, HMV and BB.

What gives ?
7 replies
Oct 16, 2008
488 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
I think it may be due to the price they are selling it at ($15). For now I caved in and bought the clear dvd cased version. Eventually I'll buy the actual DVD box set.
Apr 8, 2007
600 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hi, I believe it does not come in a boxed set like the previous volumes. It's a clear DVD case with a printout for the cover. I think they are cheaping out on the packaging.
Mar 29, 2005
9 posts
Mine came as all others...3 cd pack...from walmart.havent seen the others u speak about.hmmm id look elsewhere.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1513 posts
1494 upvotes
@huggybear - which walmart was it at ? i ask cause i've checked everywhere including eBay and nobody it appears has the 3mini case DVD version you found ?

Is the packaging different perhaps than the single case one ?

Don't suppose you could upload a pic ? :D
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
6652 posts
1509 upvotes
Ontario
I bought it when it first came out for like $35 online, and I was disappointed when it came in a regular looking DVD case. A lot of shows are like that now, and don't match my boxes for the previous seasons. Prison Break Season 4, and 24 Season 7 are like this as well :(
Jul 26, 2005
6292 posts
38091 upvotes
Montreal
This seems to be the norm in packaging as box sets are being reduced for cardboard covers over regular DVD cases. Happened to me w/FG Vol7 and How I met your Mother season 4.

Studios trying to be eco-friendly?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
3160 posts
153 upvotes
Napanee
krazykanuck wrote: This seems to be the norm in packaging as box sets are being reduced for cardboard covers over regular DVD cases. Happened to me w/FG Vol7 and How I met your Mother season 4.

Studios trying to be eco-friendly?
Many reasons, eco-friendly being one of them. Also:

1. Cheaper to produce.
2. Smaller so that stores can stock more titles at a time.
3. The novelty factor of TV on DVD has worn off. In the early days of DVD, TV Shows cost a considerable more then they do now. They felt the need to include packaging to distinguish them from standard movie DVDs.

Family Guy Volume 7 has never came in the packaging you are talking about so you are sadly mistaken. You should be happy to note that if you want all your packaging to match that Vol 1-6 are being re-released in the same packaging Vol 7 is in. The studios are more then happy to take your money. Past seasons of many shows are or have already been released in the smaller packaging (Scrubs, Desperate Housewives, My Name is Earl, Family Guy, 24, How I Met Your Mother, etc.)
My GamerTag: http://live.xbox.com/member/Corey31
Wins:
Be First to Play - XBOX 360
Win Every Hour - XBOX 360
Wiin The Key to Summer - Nintendo Wii
Score Every Hour - NHL 08
Tribute.ca - Lost Season 4 DVD