Computers & Electronics

Intel GMA 4500mhd grafix chip memory check?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2009 12:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1666 posts
138 upvotes
Paradise

Intel GMA 4500mhd grafix chip memory check?

Hello, with all the laptops out there now with the intel GMA grafix, I was wondering how to allocate the maximum amount of memory for best performance.

I got another notebook with an ATI 4200 grafix chip and it allocates a maximun of 256mb in the bios, and it can be seen as hardware reserved ram in the windows task manager.

When I check the hardware reserved ram in the Intel GMA laptop it just says theres 40mbs or allcoated ram.... so how do i do a check. Does the Intel use up to 1750mb or ram only when it needs to, like in gaming or video editing?

I searched the web and found nothing, nothing at al.
2 replies
Oct 7, 2007
371 posts
46 upvotes
The Intel integrated X4500 chip is designed as a low-cost, low-power graphics chip. As part of the low-cost strategy, the chip has no dedicated RAM--it only uses system RAM (this technique is much slower than dedicated video RAM, but cheaper) If you have a lot of available RAM, the X4500 can use it. Here's the trick, though -- it never will use all that RAM, nor does it need to. It is such a low-end part that it could never effectively process 1+ GB of space.

In some cases, the 1750+ number may be used as a selling feature, but in the practical sense it is meaningless.

The graphics driver automatically allocates itself the memory it needs and frees it up when it does not. It will grab more memory in 3D games to load textures. Video editing does not require extra RAM for the video card than normal 2D, just more processing power.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)