Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 29, 2007
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

27'' iMac i7 vs PC w/ i7 Windows 7 64 bit

I'm debating between these two systems and the reason I'm asking here instead of the Mac/PC forums is because of their baised opinions... Im guessing there is a mix of Apple/Microsoft users here so I can get a good picture.

I'm consider one of the three:

27'' iMac i7 8GB Ram, 1TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB - $2500ish

or

Custom Built PC - $1500ish..
two 24'' LCD screens (dual display)
i7 Processor
1TB HD
Asus GeForce GT240 1GB Video card
8GB Ram

or

HP Pavilion Elite Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz Computer (E9290F) - $1400
plus two LCD monitors ... - $600ish.

Which would you guys go for? Im just into going on the internet, downloading movies, emails and IM... I really like dual screen vs a big imac because I can't compare things im doing.. hard to look at two things at once... Windows 7 makes it a lot easier.

Also... If you suggest PC... custom built or ready2go? *Thsoe arent the exact specs I plan on putting into the custom built.. im just ball parking*
31 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
kumanan wrote: Which would you guys go for? Im just into going on the internet, downloading movies, emails and IM... I really like dual screen vs a big imac because I can't compare things im doing.. hard to look at two things at once...
That's a lot of money and power if you're going to be doing simpler things as mentioned above...

I'm a Windows guy myself. Windows 7 so far is excellent. The HP is a much better bang for your buck, especially with the two monitors. You will have to remove a lot of the crapware that the OEMs push on you - look at the Decrapifier.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
A Mac Mini with dual monitors would be capable of what you want and far cheaper. In fact, any bargain PC with an up-to-date video card would be even more cheaper. I'm not sure why you want so much power if you're just browsing and downloading.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
You can spend way less for the tasks required.
If you do want to spend $2500, I'd get 3 nice monitors and a mid-ranged system :D
signature edited for rule violations
Banned
Mar 29, 2007
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Well I do use photoshop sometimes, lots of HD blu-ray movies, lots of apps running in the back (ie. newsbin apps, torrents, etc.) and I usually have lots of IE windows open at the same time, and lots of multi tasking.... \

I had a Macbook Pro w/ 2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo and I found the OS X spinning rainbow mouse icon very annoying... it would come up when I got a lot of stuff open and the computer was going slower.. I sold it today for $1800 (bought for $2150 BNIB in October..)

so yeah minimum I would take is an i5 processor with 6GB ram..
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
3 very decent widescreen monitors will cost $250-ish each, $750
you can build a very, very capable midtier system around $750.
You definitely don't need an I7 for what you're doing.

Any decent quad will do, which will save you lots of $
as well as tone down the Video card a bit, and another big $ savings

You'll get tons of resolution real estate, and still a very capable system to keep up with what you plan on doing
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4274 posts
299 upvotes
Hamilton
I have always been a PC guy, but after having gone with a Mac I would go with the iMac or as another usggested, get a mac mini with other screens.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
If you're feeling adventurous - Hackintosh with buckets of RAM.

I've got a dual core 2.5Ghz with 8GB RAM - I run my news apps in a Win 7 VM in the background and the apps I'm using on OSX natively. I love it considering it cost me < $500 :D
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have both, but based on what your needs are, I suggest you go with the PC.

If the HP is $1400 all in, then go that route.

If it is $1400 + $600, go custom built.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
kumanan wrote: Well I do use photoshop sometimes, lots of HD blu-ray movies, lots of apps running in the back (ie. newsbin apps, torrents, etc.) and I usually have lots of IE windows open at the same time, and lots of multi tasking.... \

I had a Macbook Pro w/ 2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo and I found the OS X spinning rainbow mouse icon very annoying... it would come up when I got a lot of stuff open and the computer was going slower.. I sold it today for $1800 (bought for $2150 BNIB in October..)

so yeah minimum I would take is an i5 processor with 6GB ram..
What you need is an SSD.
signature edited for rule violations
Oct 17, 2004
444 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
Unless you really like OS X, the PC will give you more performance at lesser cost.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
OP, you're better off getting the lower end i7 imac or a mac mini
Let's hug it out
May 19, 2008
757 posts
16 upvotes
wow no one here likes custom, first most pc parts have 3 year or lifetime warranties, 2nd you will get a better board than the hp, that won't be locked in speed and will have future expandability if needed. 3rd i would change that graphics card, if you want multi display nothing better then ati's affinity right now, something like a 5770 or 5850 oops ment to say 5750
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
devils-haven wrote: 2nd you will get a better board than the hp, that won't be locked in speed and will have future expandability if needed.
Correct on the locked-down non-overclocking part, but HP uses standard mATX boards from Asus, at least in the last Pavilion Elite I had open. Doesn't look any different from the typical consumer stuff you'd find in local hardware shops.
Deal with it.
Dec 23, 2006
355 posts
69 upvotes
devils-haven wrote: wow no one here likes custom, first most pc parts have 3 year or lifetime warranties, 2nd you will get a better board than the hp, that won't be locked in speed and will have future expandability if needed. 3rd i would change that graphics card, if you want multi display nothing better then ati's affinity right now, something like a 5770 or 5850
I agree with everything you say. I would always choose custom over anything. For the price of the iMac you have listed you can build an amazing custom PC. The question I would ask is why buy a Mac over the PC. With a Mac you lose some ability to upgrade, you pay a premium for every accessories, and you only have one mouse button. Looking at what you want to do, I would choose the I5 over the I7. Build a I5 rig and then get a 27" monitor for it with extra savings or 2 24" monitors.
Banned
Mar 29, 2007
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
javis wrote: I agree with everything you say. I would always choose custom over anything. For the price of the iMac you have listed you can build an amazing custom PC. The question I would ask is why buy a Mac over the PC. With a Mac you lose some ability to upgrade, you pay a premium for every accessories, and you only have one mouse button. Looking at what you want to do, I would choose the I5 over the I7. Build a I5 rig and then get a 27" monitor for it with extra savings or 2 24" monitors.
Alright looks like im gonna do an i5 custom build with 2 24'' monitors... probably the samsung on sale at bestbuy or acer on sale at CC... not sure yet.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... &langid=EN
Samsung 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor With 5ms Response Time (2433BW)
On Sale: $229.99

or

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do ... id=MTR.863
Acer P241WAiD, 24" Widescreen LCD
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
wow really??? you barely do anything on your computer at all. i work in graphics and the machines you're after are way more powerful than what i currently have.

major overkill/overspending buddy!

and lets face it, apples quality control have gone down the toilet.
May 18, 2005
694 posts
32 upvotes
Nowhere.
Wow it must be nice to be rich. :cheesygri

For the tasks you are describing you're spending an ASS load too much money (IMHO).

Anyway go with the a prebilt PC (you don't seem like the DIY type). Macs are cool and great machines but too much of your money is spent on "cool".

Edit:

Ok kumanan, some friendly advise, don't spend it just becuase you have it.
Banned
Mar 29, 2007
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
BlackRanger3d wrote: Wow it must be nice to be rich. :cheesygri

For the tasks you are describing you're spending an ASS load too much money (IMHO).

Anyway go with the a prebilt PC (you don't seem like the DIY type). Macs are cool and great machines but too much of your money is spent on "cool".
Im probably going custom built, its not really an issue.. plus I can save money.. (im not rich.)

do you guys think either of those LCD's is a good deal? or would you suggest another model?

thx! Im heading out in about 4 hrs to make my purchases :D
Dec 23, 2006
355 posts
69 upvotes
kumanan wrote: Im probably going custom built, its not really an issue.. plus I can save money.. (im not rich.)

do you guys think either of those LCD's is a good deal? or would you suggest another model?

thx! Im heading out in about 4 hrs to make my purchases :D
What is the budget? Do you know what your building for the PC?

Im guessing your are buying everything from CanadaComputers? - You would save cash buying and price matching NCIX but then you have to wait :(

I like this one:

There is also this:

Which is much cheaper, and to me I want as much resolution as I can get..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)