Tags:
None
Jun 19, 2009
547 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

OTA HDTV Antenna Installation

Hello there.

I am looking for an OTA HDTV Antenna installer/contractor for a family member.

I realize that theres a closed group buy thread about this in Home and Garden but was wondering if you guys knew?

- Are installs safe for the contractors during winter, and is it even offered?
- Does anyone know of an installer that they can recommend who can also sell
you the product and rotor?

I've heard of Optimist Electronics and Dr. Sat in Toronto but have not heard back from Optimist and heard guys say in the home and garden thread that Dr. Sat is pricier. Before I go with the first one of these guys that offer their services, I'd like to know who, anyone in the know can recommend.

Also, I am thinking of a 4 or 8 Bay Channelmaster (depending on what the installer recommends) or this Antenna's Direct Clearstream 4 Long distance Antenna, with hopes of some Buffalo Channels.

[IMG]http://hdtv-antenna-review.com/images/a ... ntenna.jpg[/IMG]
18 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
Bump.
I'm also interested in this. Looking to install in the spring.
Jul 31, 2009
25 posts
Toronto
bump I like free TV I disconnected cable a while ago.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
4bay - shorter range, wide beam, increase reception with a preamp
8bay - longer range, narrower beam

Since the U.S. towers are spread far apart, GTAers generally benefit from a 4bay which will receive a wider spread due to it's wide beam. Add a preamp to improve reception results. Depending on where your family member is, you may need install a separate 4bay, point it at the CN tower and combine the two cables with a simple digital splitter in reverse. Then that single line goes into the home to be split among the TVs.

You would only use an 8bay if you are pointing it at one far tower or cluster of towers close together. For example, someone who lives far from Toronto would use an 8bay and point it at the CNtower because all the T.O. channels come out of the CNtower and neighbouring FirstCanadianPlace.
That said, you could use an 8bay with a rotor but then you have to wait if you like to channel surf, especially that OTA signals can be very directional.
I know people who have tried a rotor and abandoned it.

I would imagine finding deals on equipment yourself would significantly reduce costs by eliminating the middle man who will no doubt upcharge from their supplier, likely the same places where you would shop... Save&Replay, Sensuz and HomeDepot.

[IMG]http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/toron ... -small.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2006
1768 posts
Why would they abandon the rotor? We're only talking a few inches and seconds here. Nothing more annoying than having a channel freeze or dissappear at when a slight turn of the rotor can eliminate that.
zoolander wrote: 4bay - shorter range, wide beam, increase reception with a preamp
8bay - longer range, narrower beam

Since the U.S. towers are spread far apart, GTAers generally benefit from a 4bay which will receive a wider spread due to it's wide beam. Add a preamp to improve reception results. Depending on where your family member is, you may need install a separate 4bay, point it at the CN tower and combine the two cables with a simple digital splitter in reverse. Then that single line goes into the home to be split among the TVs.

You would only use an 8bay if you are pointing it at one far tower or cluster of towers close together. For example, someone who lives far from Toronto would use an 8bay and point it at the CNtower because all the T.O. channels come out of the CNtower and neighbouring FirstCanadianPlace.
That said, you could use an 8bay with a rotor but then you have to wait if you like to channel surf, especially that OTA signals can be very directional.
I know people who have tried a rotor and abandoned it.

I would imagine finding deals on equipment yourself would significantly reduce costs by eliminating the middle man who will no doubt upcharge from their supplier, likely the same places where you would shop... Save&Replay, Sensuz and HomeDepot.

[IMG]http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/toron ... -small.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
paleo wrote: Why would they abandon the rotor? We're only talking a few inches and seconds here. Nothing more annoying than having a channel freeze or dissappear at when a slight turn of the rotor can eliminate that.
I don't mean that as an all or nothing statement. OTA HD equipment is location specific and a rotor might very well be useful. Keep in mind they are $100+ and the beam width of a 4bay is usually sufficient to capture the Buffalo spread from most locations. One of the concepts of installing OTA HD is start with the bare minimum before buying extra equipment that may not be needed or returnable, and you'll also hear that from the owner of Save&Replay. In my case, the channels are solid and with my ADD tendencies, even a few seconds between channels while surfing would be an eternity, lol. Considering one does not need a rotor for T.O. channels because they come out of two close towers, people have to judge for themselves whether the cost of the rotor is worth the one Southern channel they might not always get when their antenna is stationary.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
I had mine installed by a guy named Mark (aka Yaamon) who does it in his spare time (he does have a full time job as well). He usually doesn't start until the weather warms up (probably for comfort and safety reasons), but the pros might do it in the winter, who knows. You can probably find Mark's contact in one of the forums at digitalhome.ca site (that's how I found out about him).

His basic install price for labour is $280.00 last year, includes the ground rod, block and rg6 run to one location. I also bought a preamp off him. He did a great job installing my CM4221HD on my chimney and tuned everything for me and made sure it was all running properly before he left. Since I live in North York, I can get a lot of HD channels (including ones from Buffalo).

My only regret is not listening to him the first time and getting 2 antenna's stacked to improve my reception on this US stations, since PBS, qubo signals aren't strong and I can't get NBC at all. Maybe this summer I'll crawl up there myself and try to attach a second antenna.
Feb 10, 2007
541 posts
42 upvotes
Oakville
Just to confirm that Dr. Sat is still doing installations at this time of year. He has a deal on for the Super Bowl, $229 for a Channel Master 4221 installed and aligned.
Nov 30, 2003
64 posts
1 upvote
PwrSurge wrote: Just to confirm that Dr. Sat is still doing installations at this time of year. He has a deal on for the Super Bowl, $229 for a Channel Master 4221 installed and aligned.
"Dr. Sat"?

Nevermind, i googled it http://www.drsat.ca/
Sep 18, 2007
48 posts
4 upvotes
I just got my antenna installed on my chimney by Dr Sat in East Scarborough. The guy was very professional and took his time to answer all my questions and explained what he was going to do step by step.

I got the CM 4228HD(US channels) + AD 2Bay (CAN channels) sync'd due to my location I could either get one or another with a single antenna.

All of his Antennas and accessories come from saveandreplay.com in Mississauga so you can get a good idea of what prices you will be paying for your hardware before hand which was really handy.

Now to enjoy the remainder of the Olympics in glorious HD

Thanx Dr Sat :D

GO CANADA GO!!!
Feb 26, 2010
3 posts
Toronto
I live in Pickering and we had a system installed as well....amazing picture quality....the best thing is there are NO monthly payment for programing....I had "Sals TV" do the instalation on our chimney.....not sure what brand name was but it works great!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1578 posts
55 upvotes
Scarborough
yaya67 wrote: I live in Pickering and we had a system installed as well....amazing picture quality....the best thing is there are NO monthly payment for programing....I had "Sals TV" do the instalation on our chimney.....not sure what brand name was but it works great!
can you post a price for what you had installed
thanks
Aug 29, 2010
918 posts
132 upvotes
Sorry for bumping up an old thread.
We are going to install antenna so I'd really like to know if anyone can suggest realiable installer in markham area. (I PM'ed Viperz but no response so I'm not sure if he's still doing this).
Jan 15, 2007
9 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
songzier wrote: Sorry for bumping up an old thread.
We are going to install antenna so I'd really like to know if anyone can suggest realiable installer in markham area. (I PM'ed Viperz but no response so I'm not sure if he's still doing this).
Did you end up getting an installer and if so did he do a good job for you? Thanks.
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
Me too! Who have people used for installation? I'm not as spry as I used to be, and would prefer to pay some guy to climb on the roof for me.