Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9079 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto

win xp pro sp3 cant print on win7 shared printer

ive been racking my head over this one... i recently upgraded my desktop to win7 pro 64bit.. everything works fine and all but for the life of my my laptop which has xp pro sp3 is unable to print on the shared printer i have setup on my desktop..

this is how its setup..
samsung ml-2010 is plugged in directly via usb to my win7 pro desktop
xp pro sp3 laptop connected to wireless to workgroup

the workgroup is the same

control panel > network sharing centre > advanced settings
-network discovery is ON
-file and printer sharing is ON
-public sharing folder is OFF
-password protected sharing is OFF

ive also tried this method posted by jimbo45
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-shar ... aring.html

and my laptop with xp pro sp3 is still unable to print on the shared printer.. my laptop can see the printer when i add network print \\workgroup\printer and when it asks for login/password i put in my desktop login/password... it connects and the driver is being installed pops up... but when i print it will tell me "your file waiting to be printed was deleted".. ugh

any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
That's very interesting and strange. I had exactly a Samsung ML-2010 plugged into a W7 desktop and shared on the network and my dad's laptop with XP SP3 printed just fine so that "combo" works for sure.

I also have a networked Samsung CLX-2160 on W7 and all machines which run XP, Vista or W7 can print to that. I have a Samsung ML-2010 connected to a Vista machine and also a Samsung ML-2851ND networked printer and all of those work with ALL OSes.

Try forcing all spooling to happen on the host machine because by default spooling happens on the machine instantiating the print job.
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit
May 19, 2008
757 posts
16 upvotes
was the driver installed properly, as you are using win 7 64bit the system will have that driver to share, but lily your xp is only 32bit and the same driver won't work, so you need to install a 32bit driver, under printer sharing for that printer there is a button called aditional drivers
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
devils-haven wrote: was the driver installed properly, as you are using win 7 64bit the system will have that driver to share, but lily your xp is only 32bit and the same driver won't work, so you need to install a 32bit driver, under printer sharing for that printer there is a button called aditional drivers
When you try to add a printer that's shared by a PC with a different "bit" OS and version, Windows won't even let you add the printer without providing IMMEDIATELY the correct drivers, so I don't think this is the problem here.
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)