Shopping Discussion

Is this company a scam? (hitechwireless)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2010 10:45 pm
Tags:
None
May 9, 2008
64 posts

Is this company a scam? (hitechwireless)

I saw an ad on kijiji for an ipod touch for 200 (32GB 3rd gen)
I called the guy and told him I wanted it shipped to Kitchener, then he told me to do a email money transfer.
He gave me the website but it looks a bit shady,

any of you guys dealt with this place before?

http://www.hitechwireless.ca
1 416 678 9125
Toronto

Prices are pretty dam cheap, to good to be true? :|
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1950 posts
169 upvotes
if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is
Penalty Box
May 8, 2006
1094 posts
99 upvotes
" The Telus Mobility customer you are trying to reach is unavailable.'

Some business
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2804 posts
2251 upvotes
GTA
Website really looks like a scam, $129 for a Wii!!! And there are no terms of condition or privacy policy. STAY AWAY!!
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
The site seems to want customers to enter their own "privacy notes" and "terms of use". I would not send this individual any money unless you want to be back on here in a week complaining about how someone stole your money.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
A Macbook Air for $1,200, with the following details:

[QUOTE]WE ARE OFFERING THIS BRAND NEW SEALED IN BOX APPLE MAC BOOK AIR NOTEBOOK. ITS BACKED WITH A 2.13GHZ DUAL CORE INTEL PROCESSOR. ITS GOT A BRIGHT 13.3 INCH SCREEN. AND A 256 MB NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD FOR EXTREME ONLINE GAMING. BUILT IN WiFi WITH BLUETOOTH CAPABILITY. AS WELL AS A PERFECT 120GB HARD DRIVE. FOR MORE TECHNICAL SPECS SEE THE MANUFACTURES WEBSITE.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I'm going to order a product an trust the manufacturer specs, and assume that I'm getting this model?
- Absolute
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Tell him you're willing to come to Toronto and pick the item up. See what he says.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13376 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Confirmed it's a scam my friend placed an order for the iphone. No way to contact seller, fake tracking #.

He's preparing to go to the police.
Jul 24, 2006
972 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I have a friend who was also scammed by this. He has also filed a report with the police. I don't mean to laugh but I am deep down inside LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
I dont understand how people would go through with an email money transfer and NOT think its a scam?

lol @ the macbook air description (good thing the hard drive is perfect!)
Aug 9, 2009
480 posts
12 upvotes
This IS a scam. These people go on Kijiji and stuff and insist on wire transfers or email money transfers. The bank is not liable if they steal your money and you normally get nowhere if you make a police report.

If unsure about this sort of thing, tell the person you want to meet in person, to which they normally reply well my shop is located like a 100 km away so you dont want to drive that far, or you say Paypal or NOTHING. If they insist on a money transfer, hang up and walk away. They are trying to scam you.

I went through this when I was looking for a PS3. I asked the guy why it was so cheap and all that. Then he said money transfer and I said no paypal only. After a little back and forth he hung up on me. This was clear guidance that he was trying to scam. STAY AWAY FROM THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE. You WILL lose you money.

NEVER EVER SEND ANYONE ANY MONEY THROUGH A MONEY TRANSFER, unless it is for a family or a friend or to another source of that kind. In this day and age, NO business has the excuse of only accepting money transfers, if they do, then forget them.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
Kijiji is intended for ppl buy and sell in person with cash. Never send money order without seeing what you get.

I sell stuffs in Kijiji myself, always choose a open public location to do the transaction. Buyer looks at the product and I accept the cash on the spot.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
Went to the website and got this:

Please choose from your address book where you would like the invoice to be sent to.

This is currently the only payment method available to use on this order.

(only allows emt)

If only RFD had a police liason.

It still boggles me that in this day and age, these scams are still taking place with impunity.

**Just wanted to add that because Google indexes RFD threads in almost real-time, he's probably aware he's under scrutiny if he's googling himself.
Apr 8, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
I am 90 percent sure this is a scam PS3 great deal call the guy u can buy it online and we will ship it. Were r u guys located oh in sudbury (four hours away) and his phone number is toronto total ********
watch ojut for these idiots they should be reported

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)