• Jan 11th, 2010 11:56 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 11, 2009
377 posts
240 upvotes

Best Buy Canada vs. USA

Hello,

If bought a laptop at Best Buy USA, would I be able to return or have it serviced under warranty at Best Buy Canada?

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
chipspew wrote: Hello,

If bought a laptop at Best Buy USA, would I be able to return or have it serviced under warranty at Best Buy Canada?

Thanks!
It depends on the terms of the warranty. But you knew that already, didn't you, since you did a search through the forum? :cheesygri
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1555 posts
659 upvotes
Ottawa

Thanks!
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no. BB Us and BB Canada are different companies.

Very few companies are interconnected across the border. I think that Costco is the only one that allows for return/exchange/warranty in any store in North America.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
The Bestbuy Service plan is international. If you paid more for an extended warranty from the store, it's supposed to cover US and Canada.

You might have to jump through a couple hoops to get it approved, but employees told to push the warranty as being US/Canada encompassing.

If you did not buy the best buy warranty, you might still be in luck. At my local bestbuy, we took in HP computers that were bought in the states, no problem. You don't even need to have a bill, in many cases. YMMV there.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Jul 31, 2005
382 posts
51 upvotes
I purchased a Tivo at Best Buy in buffalo, along with an extended warranty in 2005. The Tivo later died in 2007. I called the toll free number and they told me to bring it back to the store, I told them that I was in Canada and they said to obtain a quote from an service centre as to how much it would cost to fix. The quote to fix the Tivo was higher than what I paid for the warranty so they refunded me my purchase by cheque.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Thanks!
Like others have said, the warranty service depends on the manufacturer and if you bought extended warranty.

If you can return it, I think not.
Jan 2, 2010
72 posts
25 upvotes
I was going to buy a TV at a Costco in the US. I live in a border town so it's about an hour from here. I talked to the rep in electronics and he said a lot of canadians are buying the made in north america tv's there. However, their conceirge coverage (extended 2 year warranty) is only valid in the country of purchase. Anyone else have a different experience??? Will they cover you in Canada?? Or is that just for the in home repair??