• Jan 20th, 2010 6:56 am
Tags:
None
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Kinda 'meh' in terms of a gaming card when the 4850 is still around.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
2902 posts
47 upvotes
You have to realize this is the 4670 replacement which is a mainstream gaming card... but then you see that it's far outpacing the 9600 GT which is kind of the defacto mainstream gaming card and almost catching up with the 9800 GT. It's great value for the features and performance IMO
Yelp.ca - Review your favorite and not-so favorite restaurants, shops, businesses, anything!!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
1543 posts
301 upvotes
This might have things like directx 11 and eyefinity. However, its to slow to run directx 11 properly according to anandtech, which already makes it to slow to run an eyefinity setup(who going to run an eyefinity setup on a 100 dollar card anyways).

The 4850 kills it in performance and is the same price and most importantly available.
Feel the wraith of the Old English Sheepdog.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
sheepdogexpress wrote: who going to run an eyefinity setup on a 100 dollar card anyways
I think it'll be interesting for people who are looking for the added resolution from Eyefinity, but don't want to totally give up their gaming ability (ie. the also-announced HD5500 series).
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
2902 posts
47 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: I think it'll be interesting for people who are looking for the added resolution from Eyefinity, but don't want to totally give up their gaming ability (ie. the also-announced HD5500 series).
+1, there was a slide a review site posted from AMD about eyefinity benchmarks with this and they were pushing the mainstream gaming eyefinity with this... seemed like a lot of Steam games, WoW, Aion, etc.
Yelp.ca - Review your favorite and not-so favorite restaurants, shops, businesses, anything!!
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
1107 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
These lower price points are super get supersaturated. The 512MB 5750 is supposed to be 109 MSRP but can't be found in North America except the Powercolor one. I'd rather one of those if my budget was around ~100.

The 5670 is for people who are either upgrading prebuilts or age old hardware or are sticking it in a small form factor case for HTPC. As a casual gamer I'd go for the 5750 512MB if I could find one...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
Yeah, 5750 is nowhere to be found at the $115 price point. Closest thing is the 4770 which at tigerdirect.ca is selling right now for $113 free s/h. Not great but for those with a weak psu it could be the ticket.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3140 posts
411 upvotes
well...the 5670 is a more refined version of the 4770 IMO. But the price for one isn't really worth it.

I mean, the difference is around $40-50 between 5670 and 5750. At that point, you might as well upgrade the PSU and buy the 5750. Not only that you see a performance improvement, but the PSU would allow you to have upgrade headroom later on.

I would buy the 5670 if only the price point dips below $80. But that's gonna take around a year or so...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4403 posts
103 upvotes
For HTPC use, don't forget that the 5xxx series is also able to bitstream Dolby True-HD and DTS-MA with the new ffdshow tryouts. This will pave the way for h264 compressed mkvs with lossless sound as the high-end norm.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
The sad part is that ATI's main competition for their new cards is coming from their old cards!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1098 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
fitbrit wrote: For HTPC use, don't forget that the 5xxx series is also able to bitstream Dolby True-HD and DTS-MA with the new ffdshow tryouts. This will pave the way for h264 compressed mkvs with lossless sound as the high-end norm.
This makes it interesting for HTPC users.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
HTPC users should wait for the 54xx series. They should make them low profile and passive cooled.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
The 54xx will be very interesting if it does 3/4 monitor Eyefinity.
It would be great for general usage with that much desktop space.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1684 posts
298 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: HTPC users should wait for the 54xx series. They should make them low profile and passive cooled.
When the card has little to no 3d capabililty then the card can't provide any filters or enhancements. ie sharpening and denoise
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1684 posts
298 upvotes
flyz wrote: The 54xx will be very interesting if it does 3/4 monitor Eyefinity.
It would be great for general usage with that much desktop space.
The eyefinity feature is for 3d gaming only. I think you can run multimonitors all the way back to windows 98.
Apr 9, 2007
238 posts
1 upvote
Drawbacks aside, it's so nice to see a true single slot card... the last decent one was the 4850, but that one seemed to get real hot fast. I thought the entire industry just forgot about the fact that some people have smaller cases or don't want to waste the adjacent PCI(E) slots.

I just got the Vostro 430 (2PCIE, 2PCI), so I've been looking for single slot cards. But since this isn't exactly a gaming card, I guess I'll go with HIS' 5750 or 5750 in a semi-single slot (thick fan) configuration so that I can probably use a SATA to ESATA cable right beside it (I only am planning on using one optical drive so I can use the ESATA for my 4-bay external HDD).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
CameraBill wrote: The eyefinity feature is for 3d gaming only. I think you can run multimonitors all the way back to windows 98.
No budget card did 2+ monitors that offered that much features. Sure you could add EVGA's UV Plus or Matrox's TripleHead2Go, but none of those can do dual link (19x12+ resolutions).

All we need now are AIB partners to put out cards that have more than 3 physical dual link connections 54xx cards like the upcoming 6 headed 5870 (albeit in mini-dp...) :|

Edit: Just remembered this, Eyefinity is still different from the traditional multi-diplay offered from the yesteryear. All the monitors grouped are seen as a single seamless large display rather than seperate displays with their own resolution, but the problem using traditional monitors are the damn bezels...