Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa

Gift Cards,,, Can they Expire???

I remember reading something along the lines, that in certain Places in Canada, Gift Cards CAN NOT Expire.

I was wondering if this is still true, and if there was a list of area's

as im from Quebec

I have Expired movie passes :(

Wondering if there still good

Thanks!
Hello
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
ilusa wrote: I remember reading something along the lines, that in certain Places in Canada, Gift Cards CAN NOT Expire.

I was wondering if this is still true, and if there was a list of area's

as im from Quebec

Wondering if there still good

Thanks!
passes differ from monetary gift cards...
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5437 upvotes
they dont expire, but some places will charge like 25 cent per month for inactivity on the card. so it keep subtracting the total until it runs out
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
Alberta is one of the provinces where gift cards don't expire.
Dec 31, 2009
52 posts
Most retailers don't have them expiring, but I had a BB gf for almost 2 years and it was invalid when I tried using it.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1283 posts
114 upvotes
stevejacobsit wrote: Most retailers don't have them expiring, but I had a BB gf for almost 2 years and it was invalid when I tried using it.
In Ontario they used to expire after 2 years but a law was passed removing expiry dates.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
JohnEnglish wrote: In Ontario they used to expire after 2 years but a law was passed removing expiry dates.

I have over $2000 in GC from a Ontario store, printed expire after 1 year on back of GC. Anyone from Ontario can clarify that?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
ilusa wrote: I remember reading something along the lines, that in certain Places in Canada, Gift Cards CAN NOT Expire.

Movie passes are not gift cards, so they're no good for you. Sorry.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Movie passes are not gift cards, so they're no good for you. Sorry.
I was told that you can use expired movie passes and they are supposed to be treated like gift cards by the theatre.
so it helps to try anyways.

some mall gifts cards have expiry dates and user fees, i posted about this before.
also some of the mall gift cards there isno way to register your card to protect the balance and to easily keep track of the balance online...not like how pizza pizza and starbucks is set up at least.
If I had the time at the moment I would love to legally challenge a company on that as it seems just wrong...but I have my own other issues to bug people about here (other potenital legal issues..grrr)> :(
(have issues with a doctor and it is taking up too much time to resolve...)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
emmafb wrote: I have over $2000 in GC from a Ontario store, printed expire after 1 year on back of GC. Anyone from Ontario can clarify that?
The law was passed back in October 2007.
You can read up on it here:
http://www.mgs.gov.on.ca/en/News/133713.html

The new consumer protection measures being implemented on October 1, 2007, include:

1. Eliminating expiry dates on cash-equivalent gift cards and certificates
2. Eliminating fees charged for cash-equivalent gift cards, except to a) customize a gift card, or b) replace a lost or stolen gift card
3. Requiring the clear and prominent disclosure of any terms and conditions relating to a gift card (e.g., any limits to redeeming a card).

Any gift card purchased AFTER Oct 1s 2007 should NEVER expire in Ontario.

However it does state:
Cards and certificates that are for a specific good or service from a retailer (e.g. buying a massage) are exempt from the new regulations. But, if a consumer buys a gift card or certificate for a specific cash amount from that retailer those gift cards/certificates are covered by the new regulations.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2470 posts
3647 upvotes
Quebec
I think these measures have just been implemented in Quebec
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Bought $50 worth of crap from CT to get a $10 gift card thinking that gift cards don't expire. Held it for two months and then notice at the bottom of the card it expired after one month. Should have know with CT there'd be some trick.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Sep 24, 2006
606 posts
64 upvotes
Guelph, On
Gift Cards can expire if they are given to you by a third party or given to you for an incentive for being their customer. "Cards and certificates that are for a specific good or service from a retailer (e.g. buying a massage) are exempt from the new regulations". I use to work for a company that made gift cards for other companies and they all had expiry dates because they were bought by a business and then that business gave them out. :!:
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Movie passes are not gift cards, so they're no good for you. Sorry.

Well these are the older type of gift cards.. Like its a paper with a printed $$ on it

i have 2 x 10
and 1 x 5

for a total of 25 dollars..
Hello
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
ilusa wrote: Well these are the older type of gift cards.. Like its a paper with a printed $$ on it

i have 2 x 10
and 1 x 5

for a total of 25 dollars..
These aren't gift cards, however these would have most likely been printed by Cineplex Odeon before the company went bankrupt about 9 years ago. Therefore it is unlikely they would be honoured as the company that issued them is no longer in existence.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Jul 23, 2008
48 posts
26 upvotes
I work at a Cineplex.

There's a difference between a movie pass and an actual gift certificate.

If the piece of paper, the certificate, has a dollar amount value on it then it is considered as money or a money equivalent. Since money does not have an expiry date, legally in Ontario, that piece of paper also does not have an expiry date.

If the piece of paper, the certificate, is a MOVIE PASS. The two most common movie "coupons" at Cineplex is a blue "Cineplex night out" or a yellow "Courtesy Pass". Both do not have a stated money value. If they are expired, management has the right to disallow their use especially on the courtesy ones.

Interestingly, Cineplex has the policy of automatically extending the life of every coupon for 1 month. So if it expires Dec 31st 2009, then it's valid until Jan 31st 2010 automatically.

Anyways, the above was a bunch of talk and legal mumbo jumbo. It all comes down to which manager and employee was working. If the employee says no, ask to talk to a manager. If the manager says no then pay for your ticket but save your coupon and try your luck on the next visit on a different employee/manager. You're bound to hit someone that's more lenient.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3214 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
coupon and gift cards are different

putting expiry date on gift card is just plain wrong. it is like putting expiry date in saving account in a bank.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3067 upvotes
Winnipeg
ccyk wrote: coupon and gift cards are different

putting expiry date on gift card is just plain wrong. it is like putting expiry date in saving account in a bank.
I agree that putting an expiry of gift cards is wrong. However, from a corporations point of view, this is a liability that sits on the books. Thank goodness for government intervention and consumer protection. We know the industry would never have done it.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1790 posts
334 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: The law was passed back in October 2007.
You can read up on it here:
http://www.mgs.gov.on.ca/en/News/133713.html

The new consumer protection measures being implemented on October 1, 2007, include:

1. Eliminating expiry dates on cash-equivalent gift cards and certificates
2. Eliminating fees charged for cash-equivalent gift cards, except to a) customize a gift card, or b) replace a lost or stolen gift card
3. Requiring the clear and prominent disclosure of any terms and conditions relating to a gift card (e.g., any limits to redeeming a card).

Any gift card purchased AFTER Oct 1s 2007 should NEVER expire in Ontario.

However it does state:
Cards and certificates that are for a specific good or service from a retailer (e.g. buying a massage) are exempt from the new regulations. But, if a consumer buys a gift card or certificate for a specific cash amount from that retailer those gift cards/certificates are covered by the new regulations.
mall gift cards can have amounts deducted from the balance. I cant remember if it can expire too, but they had some exceptions