Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2007
34 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa

Best time to buy a laptop?

Hey everyone!

So, I have been looking around for laptops, but I couldn't commit to getting one during the boxing day sales. Unfortunately, 2 days ago my computer conked out (I only need a new video card). Fortunately, I got a pretty decent sum of money for my birthday. I would like to buy a laptop to use for school, and my budget is about $800, give or take.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the best time would be to buy? Are there any more sales coming up in the next month that I should wait for? Any new releases coming out that will cause older models to drop in price? I can buy a $35 video card for my computer to get me buy, I don't want to buy a laptop and have it go on sale for $150 cheaper a few weeks later though.

Thanks
34 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
A lot of manufacturers are switching over to i3/i5/i7 chips over the next month or so - you may start to see good deals at Lenovo.com as they clear out inventory on old motherboards and processors for the T400 and T500. Your timing might not be too bad in fact.

Other reasons for clearing out inventory at retail outlets tend to be related to an OS switch for instance - a lot of old Vista gear was cleared out over BD with the switch from Vista to 7 however, so I suspect you may not see too many deals like that now. I would tend to look out for deals online as much as instore.

Edit - one other thing, from some odd reason, Dell has a tendency to run a one off discount on new models - so keep an eye out for i3/i5 etc chipset laptops on a brief discount as they introduce them.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Best time to buy a laptop = when you actually need a laptop. Its better to do your research, than to buy a laptop as an 'impulse purchase'.

If you're going to use the laptop as a 'laptop', and not just something you use on the couch at home -- I would suggest that you look at the 'business' models. For instance, the Lenovo T400/T500, the Dell Latitude E6400/E6500, the HP 6530p/8530p, etc. These are solid machines, 3-year warrantys, etc. $800-$1000 will get you into any of these laptops.

I'd personally suggest that you do *not* buy any of the laptops you see at retail stores like Future Shop, Best Buy, etc. With few exceptions, they're all junk.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Dec 25, 2009
333 posts
21 upvotes
Victoria BC
One word ASUS... I bought one and its great fast no crashes and great battery life ul80ag...$709.00...If you need more info just ask me...Peter
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
pitz wrote: Best time to buy a laptop = when you actually need a laptop. Its better to do your research, than to buy a laptop as an 'impulse purchase'.

If you're going to use the laptop as a 'laptop', and not just something you use on the couch at home -- I would suggest that you look at the 'business' models. For instance, the Lenovo T400/T500, the Dell Latitude E6400/E6500, the HP 6530p/8530p, etc. These are solid machines, 3-year warrantys, etc. $800-$1000 will get you into any of these laptops.

I'd personally suggest that you do *not* buy any of the laptops you see at retail stores like Future Shop, Best Buy, etc. With few exceptions, they're all junk.
This is 'the' advice that applies to notebooks. They rarely go on sale, and when they do, unlike desktops or electronics which often have 'general' specifications and quality, notebooks are different, buying than thinking about it is not a viable solution. Each model is different, in terms of size, quality, battery life, screen size, etc. and not customizable.

Best thing to do is to do your research, find something you like and is recommended, and then buy it if you think it is a fair price.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
I wouldn't go as far as to say that laptops 'never go on sale'. Because, if you are selective about things, have done your research, etc., -- it is possible to find some of the better models on sale, or through sources other than the manufacturers' websites themselves.

For instance, my last 2 Dells. A Latitude D630 and a D830. Each 'priced' out at the Dell.ca website at roughly $2000 and $3000 respectively. What did I pay? $800 and $1500. Got them off of eBay, with valid warranties, etc.

Yes, I had to compromise a little bit on certain specs (for instance....in the D830, I wanted a 1680x1050 screen instead of the 1920x1200 screen!), but certainly not the end of the world.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
The best time to buy any electronics is when you really need it. Prices are dropping as time goes and new models come out.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1975 posts
88 upvotes
carmaster wrote: The best time to buy any electronics is when you really need it. Prices are dropping as time goes and new models come out.
Yeah, but then you'd start hitting yourself when you get what you need, and all of a sudden, the next week something that's better and faster than yours goes for less than what you paid for yours.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1740 upvotes
pitz wrote: I'd personally suggest that you do *not* buy any of the laptops you see at retail stores like Future Shop, Best Buy, etc. With few exceptions, they're all junk.
+1, Post of the day!!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
Pricing has been really messed these last 2 years. Netbooks, MacPro, i5, Win7, everybody's uncle has something up their sleeve...oh and $CAN exchange.

Buy what you can afford when you need it. Black Friday deals were good but very few laptops were offered and this Boxing week had even less deals.

I would buy a current laptop (on sale) as manufacturer move to new specs & OS. Try Dell Days or Lenovo EPP for new models.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
tomtomtom wrote: +1, Post of the day!!!!!
Yeah no kidding, technology isn't moving very fast anymore. A good business laptop bought 3 years ago (ie: Lenovo T61, Dell D630/D830, etc.) is still perfectly fine, with only maybe a RAM upgrade, for another couple of years. Gone are the days when people need to flip their stuff every 2 years just to run the latest OS.

Especially 'for school', who wants a laptop that's gonna turn flakey 2 years in? If someone buys their laptop for first year -- they want that laptop to last 4 years or so, without a lot of grief. Nothing like being in the midst of 3rd year classes, and have your laptop turn to a pile of cr*p while you're in the midst of trying to get some papers done.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
2419 posts
295 upvotes
Like everybody said here, you buy it when you need it.
It'll ALWAYS go cheaper, also don't buy a laptop thinking it will replace your desktop.

Laptop are meant to be portable, you shouldn't expect them to do any hardcore gaming. At least not for any laptop for under $1000.
(as posted above, buying a laptop from regular retail stores = junk)

If you're planning to get a laptop for under $1000 and you have good eyes, i'll recommend you to get a netbook instead because of it's portability and battery life. You'll be able to do word processing, internet, entertainment and some light gaming too.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
nite4evr wrote: also don't buy a laptop thinking it will replace your desktop.
If you don't game....why can't a laptop replace a desktop?

I do very well with just a laptop, and its proprietary docking station, a feature that happens only to be available on the good business laptops.

Its a pretty slick solution. Would have loved to have had such a setup when I was a student. No unhooking of wires. Come home, put the laptop on the dock, and wham, the picture goes onto my big LCDs, my mouse works, and the laptop hooks into my home Gig-E network, all my USB stuff, and my sound system. Want to go sit on the couch, just unsnap the laptop from the docking station, and go. Don't even have to mess with power cords. Totally takes the stress out of using the laptop and/or going places with it, and I don't have to worry about broken or bent pins or anything like that either.
Dec 23, 2007
34 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am currently gaming on my Xbobx 360/PS 3, ever since I switched out my 8800gt for a 6800gt and cash like 2 years ago I haven't done much PC gaming :/ I can't stand to game at the lowest graphics, I just feel like I am missing out on the experience.. I am replacing the graphics card for my PC, but it will be a very low-end one.

As far as the laptop goes.. For those of you who said to avoid the big box stores like futureshop/best buy, where would you suggest I buy a laptop online? Also, I have never paid attention much to laptops.. Anyone care to let me know what the big brands are in terms of quality? I have heard Dell and Lenovo being mentioned, and I've noticed that Dell is usually a bit more expensive for the same kind of specs.. How do brands like Toshiba and HP hold up? If I can't find a good online retailer, I will have to go to futureshop or bestbuy because thats about all there is in the ottawa area.

Thanks guys!
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Slipery wrote: As far as the laptop goes.. For those of you who said to avoid the big box stores like futureshop/best buy, where would you suggest I buy a laptop online?
Figure out what you want first.. There's a variety of sources. For instance, buying a Dell from the Dell website is probably the most expensive way you can possibly buy a Dell. Whereas, there are some pretty darn good coupons for Lenovos available in the "Hot Deals" forums on RFD.
Also, I have never paid attention much to laptops.. Anyone care to let me know what the big brands are in terms of quality?
That's really a broad question, one that doesn't have a clear answer. Each laptop manufacturer has various 'tiers' of machines, ranging from the cheapest junk they try and sell on Boxing Day for $399, to top-of-the-line 'professional' laptops, and everything inbetween.

Its been my experience that if you compare the 3 biggest manufacturers of 'business' laptops, you won't find a significant difference in overall quality or reliability between them. For some years, HP might be a little bit ahead, other years, Lenovo, and others, Dell.
I have heard Dell and Lenovo being mentioned, and I've noticed that Dell is usually a bit more expensive for the same kind of specs.. How do brands like Toshiba and HP hold up?
Again, forget brands. Brands don't matter. You need to consider the overall quality of the laptop. We could run a poll here, and I'm sure everyone would say Dell sucks, HP sucks, Lenovo sucks, Acer sucks, Toshiba sucks, etc. The key, IMHO, is to stick with the business quality laptops, if you want something that's going to be reasonable reliable and take a beating.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21784 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Brands do matter a bit. Make sure to find something that fits your habits and your lifestyle, as well. Aside from the reputation, one of the biggest reasons I bought my T400 is because I hate trackpads and carrying around mice, but love using the trackpoint nub. Sure, the screen could be better, and the casing isn't pretty, but I'm just using it for school and work (and Civ 4), so I don't need too much eye candy. Dell and Apple have some pretty attractive designs, and they're geared more for the consumer, so they've generally got thinner laptops, prettier screens, and things like multitouch trackpads and such.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Yeah...if you need the trackpoint...you're pretty much tied into one of the expensive laptops. Amazing how what is, at best, a $3-$5 part, can force some users (like you) into buying a more expensive unit.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21784 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Well, it's far from the only reason I bought it, but it was a massive convenience to me. I also waited for the 35% off visaperks boxing day deal, so it was planned pretty well I think.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
pitz wrote: Figure out what you want first.. There's a variety of sources. For instance, buying a Dell from the Dell website is probably the most expensive way you can possibly buy a Dell. Whereas, there are some pretty darn good coupons for Lenovos available in the "Hot Deals" forums on RFD.

That's really a broad question, one that doesn't have a clear answer. Each laptop manufacturer has various 'tiers' of machines, ranging from the cheapest junk they try and sell on Boxing Day for $399, to top-of-the-line 'professional' laptops, and everything inbetween.

Its been my experience that if you compare the 3 biggest manufacturers of 'business' laptops, you won't find a significant difference in overall quality or reliability between them. For some years, HP might be a little bit ahead, other years, Lenovo, and others, Dell.

Again, forget brands. Brands don't matter. You need to consider the overall quality of the laptop. We could run a poll here, and I'm sure everyone would say Dell sucks, HP sucks, Lenovo sucks, Acer sucks, Toshiba sucks, etc. The key, IMHO, is to stick with the business quality laptops, if you want something that's going to be reasonable reliable and take a beating.
Lenovo does SUCK. The SL series looks like a toy. The business line still *looks* like a laptop from 10 years ago and still don't have HDMI or eSATA. Except the hardware integrity is not there anymore. The IBM reputation has brainwashed thousands of laptop buyers into still buying the laptops. They're Made-In-China pieces of crap just like other cheap laptops.

Edit: Oh, I did get to see a W-series and it wasn't bad. The T-series nowadays is overrated and the ones below it look horrible.