Computers & Electronics

HELP!!! setting up wireless network...UPDATE at bottom...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2010 8:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes

HELP!!! setting up wireless network...UPDATE at bottom...

So I wiped my hard drive on my old computer.

It runs (ran) XP. My son had Limewire and crap on it..... It used to connect to our home wireless network. It wouldn't connect any longer.

So I reinstalled XP. Now I am trying to figure out how to set up the wireless connection.

I use D-Link extreme N router and wireless adapter.

I set it up over a year ago.. and can't remember how I did it... any suggestions?

Network Connections can see the network.. I enter in the network key... but it tells me the connection is "unavailable"

can anyone offer any suggestions of what I might have missed.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1510 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
XP doesn't natively support WPA encryption before Service Pack 2.

Try to isolate the issue:
e.g.
- turn off encryption
- test with WEP encryption
- test with WPA encryption [AES / TKIP]
- test with WPA2 encryption [AES / TKIP]
- is it 802.11b or 802.11g
- does the adapter have the latest firmware
- etc.
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
If that is the only device that connects wirelessly I would seriously consider hitting (and holding) the reset button on the router.

Hold it for 20-30 seconds and it will be back to default settings and you can start fresh.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
JPTN wrote: XP doesn't natively support WPA encryption before Service Pack 2.

Try to isolate the issue:
e.g.
- turn off encryption
- test with WEP encryption
- test with WPA encryption [AES / TKIP]
- test with WPA2 encryption [AES / TKIP]
- is it 802.11b or 802.11g
- does the adapter have the latest firmware
- etc.
I will upgrade to SP2.. then try..
it is 802.11n
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
well.. I am going to have to do the SP updates anyways... so might as well put them onto my external HD that I can hook back and forth between my computers. That way I can wipe my HD and reinstall XP whenever needed.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1510 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
Plus, given incidents like the high-profile Google/China attack, you should be using the latest service packs and updates to insure your computer is up-to-date and protected. [They go in through a hole in Internet Explorer 6.] (Not that a personal computer is a likely target, except for phishing...)

Microsoft's Security Essentials is FREE and a great antivirus/antispyware program.
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
That is why you shouldn't use IE!!! :)
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
great... IE 6 is what we use at work... in the canadian forces... :rolleyes:
Dec 3, 2009
282 posts
76 upvotes
Burlington
mcewen wrote: So I wiped my hard drive on my old computer.

It runs (ran) XP. My son had Limewire and crap on it..... It used to connect to our home wireless network. It wouldn't connect any longer.

So I reinstalled XP. Now I am trying to figure out how to set up the wireless connection.

I use D-Link extreme N router and wireless adapter.

Thanks
The advice you have been given on the thread so far is all sound.

Password use and change is important too, I have used Perfect passwords you can copy and paste into the router and the kids config .

I myself am unorganized so I find the little printable cards are very handy I just cross them off when Ive used them (just don't use "Mary had a little Lamb" :)

I feel I should share my recent experience with my 4 kids ( Lime wire MSN Twitter) and its a constant battle, I used to scan every machine every night. But now find myself turning the machines off to conserve energy.

I did try put my foot down and removed Limewire and suggested that they either copy there original CD's or use Apple shop but you know how that went over.

I too use a D-Link a Dir 615 and find the firewall pretty good I used wpa personal with aes and changed keys fairly often. I was on top of things so I thought.

In the process off setting up VOIP phone line I was watching my firewall very closely and noticed wild hits off dozens of Ips which turned out be someone using an anonymous proxy server. So I keep a close eye on the logs of the router eventually deciding it was nothing to do with the Voip phone.

So to cut a long story short I found a rootkit with Rootkit Reveal which allowed remote Access etc... I am still cleaning the computers and USB sticks.

Personally I have changed routers and upgrading myself to Ubuntu and the kids to Win 7 . With a little research you can secure an XP system ( but do regular scans turn off auto start on USB keys etc).
If by any chance they are students there's threads on here about really good deals on software.

I have done Limewire myself and its infested with bad stuff.

Hope I din't ramble too much just taking a break . :)
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
OK.. I am really getting frustrated...

when I reinstalled XP... it came with SP1.

I can't connect to the net unless I physically move my computer... so I downloaded SP1a .. but it won't install. (I need SP1a before I can go to SP3).

AARGH!
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
Hit the reset button on the router... then use WEP temporarily until you get all your updates done.. then crank up the security to WPA2 ;)

No moving your computer required!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
mcplar wrote: Hit the reset button on the router... then use WEP temporarily until you get all your updates done.. then crank up the security to WPA2 ;)

No moving your computer required!
but then don't I have to reinitialize all my security settings again? Doesn't that involve setting it up again?

however... I downloaded SP2 and SP3.. they each have the full updates in the file, and no internet connection required. What I should have done was get a 12 foot network cable and this whole issue would have been completely solved... (duh).
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
update.

I have installed SP2 and 3.

installed the Dlink adapter drivers.

The Dlink wireless manager says I am connected... (green bars in task bar)..

however... I am still not able to access to the internet.

under network connections there are three icons in total.

top... subheading LAN or high speed internet: "Local area connection" network cable unplugged, realtek family ethernet something or other

next section, network bridge....two icons
Wireless network connection 2. connected, bridged, Dlink (adapter)
and
Network Bridge, connected, MAC Bridge Miniport

HELP!
does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? I have looked.. there are no cables unplugged anywhere!

thanks