Computers & Electronics

Need a few more big Harddrives, suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2010 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes

Need a few more big Harddrives, suggestions?

Ive got a 500 buck budget to get some more storage for my media center this april, I currently have 4x1 tb of hdds running media and 1 TB running the os,games, odds and ends, etc.

Im looking to keep something similar but get some more space. I havnt looked into harddrives in the last little while (1.5 years) and 1.5 TB drives seem to be the best bang for the buck. I might go with 2 TB drives though for ease of use.

Any models a person should watch out for or prehaps a really good technology thats worth looking into? Obviously SDD drives are a nono as they are too small and cost too much.

Speed isnt my main concern as its its just for media. Im more concern with size and reliability.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
Gee wrote: For a NAS, size is everything. Buy Western Digital 2 Terabyte drives.
Any specific model you would suggest?
Aug 28, 2006
979 posts
197 upvotes
Scarborough
You missed the 2Tb sale at bewawa. But for pure media purposes, I'd say the WD 1.5/2 TB Caviar Green is a good choice. They go on sale alot from what I've seen. Check NCIX's new weekly sale tomorrow to see if they have anything good up for grabs.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
1497 posts
11 upvotes
damn... what do you use all the 4 tbs on? if you dont mind me asking....
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
Gee wrote: WD20EADS

When it is on sale, you can find them for $180.
But you can get the 1.5TB version for around $100 (think I paid $109 for mine a few months back). So if you want the maximum capacity you're better off buying more of the smaller drives if you can fit that many in your NAS.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
2TB are great drives in general but bad in $/GB.
1.5TB WD Greens are a great compromise if you got a few extra ports.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
flyz wrote: 2TB are great drives in general but bad in $/GB.
1.5TB WD Greens are a great compromise if you got a few extra ports.
I was thinking this too, I could get 4x1.5 TB drives and raid them together for it to appear as 2x3 gig for teh same price. That pretty attractive of an option i think. That being said ive never done a raid array...
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
flyclothing514 wrote: damn... what do you use all the 4 tbs on? if you dont mind me asking....
I have lots and lots of media, I like to keep everything i am interested in.

ALso 4tb's isnt lots at all, for someone that has a media center im on the lower end for sure.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1650 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa
Just got a WD20EARS. It's great.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Super strokey wrote: I have lots and lots of media, I like to keep everything i am interested in.

ALso 4tb's isnt lots at all, for someone that has a media center im on the lower end for sure.
nice username. :lol: sorry, just couldn't resist.

I agree with impruv, the Caviar greens are pretty good and cost effective for media purposes. However, if you want a bit more quality, keep your eyes open for Caviar blacks. According to some, they fail less. But if you have a backup system in place, then you probably don't need Blacks.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Happy with the Hitachi 2Tb's I bought recently. 7200rpm drives they are.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
pitz wrote: Happy with the Hitachi 2Tb's I bought recently. 7200rpm drives they are.
are they loud? I need something as quiet and cool as possible
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Super strokey wrote: are they loud? I need something as quiet and cool as possible
I run a pair of Hitachi 1TB and they're quiet.
signature edited for rule violations

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)