• Jan 31st, 2010 7:09 am
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2005
617 posts
78 upvotes
Midland

SDM optimum points card question

I have many Oasis free orange juice coupon and SDM is selling $3.99 each. If I buy 15 bottle which is over $50 value. On the bonus points date like 20X day. Do I still get 20X point even it is free. I hear this work out for regular point. Can anyone confirm.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13461 posts
4619 upvotes
GTA
I doubt it. I'd say you get points for whatever money you actually hand over ( before tax).
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3866 upvotes
Nowhere
You don't get points when using free product coupons. The only manufacturer's coupons that you get points on, are cents off coupons that are rung in under code 2001.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2006
6220 posts
10040 upvotes
Ontario
Cheap Cat wrote: You don't get points when using free product coupons. The only manufacturer's coupons that you get points on, are cents off coupons that are rung in under code 2001.
Trick is to get the CSR to ring in under that code 2001, the one where taxes are applied to the product, you'll get both reg pts and 20X pts.

Beauty is you don't actually pay any taxes since the juice is tax exempt in ON.

I haven't tried this but I think it'll work.

BTW, where do you get the free Oasis coupons? From cereal boxes?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9535 posts
3184 upvotes
No points, at all, on "free item", or the free part of buy 1 get 1, by 2 get 1 type coupons

Regular and bonus points, and counting towards the qualifying spend, on the coupon value of "$X off" manufacturer coupons

I wouldnt support trying to get the staff to do it the wrong way, being we'd all have a fit of staff did it the wrong way and it cost us.
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2006
6220 posts
10040 upvotes
Ontario
zoro69 wrote: No points, at all, on "free item", or the free part of buy 1 get 1, by 2 get 1 type coupons

Regular and bonus points, and counting towards the qualifying spend, on the coupon value of "$X off" manufacturer coupons.
Too bad that coupon isn't $3.98 off then ;)

In essence, you'll only pay $0.01 total for each carton of juice and you'll get 20X pts on the $50 pre-tax amount.

zoro69 wrote: I wouldnt support trying to get the staff to do it the wrong way, being we'd all have a fit if staff did it the wrong way and it cost us.
That is true. If I wanted to redeem a FPC on a taxable item and the CSR keyed in the wrong 2001 code, I'd have to pay taxes on it!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9535 posts
3184 upvotes
Even if the coupon was for the full amount (or more) so it made the item "free", it should still be entered 2001, be taxable, and get the points. As long as the coupon was a specific amount off instead of specifically being "free". eg how those $10 save.ca gillete ones worked when they were on sale on 20X day ;)
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
May 17, 2005
162 posts
1192 upvotes
If the cashier punch in code 2001, you will get the 20x points.

To get points when using coupons, you have to make sure that the cashier punch in code 2001:

If it's punched in as 2002, you pay no tax and get no points.

If it's punched in as 2001, you pay tax and get 20x points.