• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2010 10:38 am
Tags:
None
Jan 23, 2009
40 posts
Toronto

Advice: Which Tablet to Buy

As my T4220 seems like it's on it's last set of legs (screen's spotted white from a few compression injuries and HD's starting to rattle, and 2nd battery even with a modular bay lasts <1hr with wirless), I'm in the market for a new tablet.

Looking at the current offerings:
Fujitsu 5010: P8600 2.4Ghz processor (better than my current T7700 2.4GHz)

Fujitsu T900: i5-520m/i7 Processor (don't know too much about this, but it seems better), pricier, may be able to use my T4220 bay and main battery?

Lenovo X200: weaker processor? (SL9400, 1.86Ghz), but known for having less screen flex than the Fujitsu's. Battery life should also be longer.

Haven't found a good comparison between the three. Any suggestions from the experts?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
i recommend against the TM because of the weak processor but that depends on the OP's needs since his T4220 should be equipped with a C2D processor. does the OP prefer battery life over processing power?

at any rate, i suggest you jump to tabletpcreviews.com instead as the people there will be able to offer better advice than here (not to say that people here sucks but the people over there will be able to give you more expert advice on tablet choices than here)
Jan 23, 2009
40 posts
Toronto
Hades - convertible laptop. Probably leaning more for better battery life this time around, although I was satisfied with the processing power of the T7700 C2D on my older T4220

Chroma - point taken, will post something there as well, but I do respect the opinion of my fellow RFDers - haven't led me astray yet :)

88 - looks like it could be good for healthcare workers (charting), but I'm leaning more for something that resembles a laptop - convertible is best.

Tx,
CP
Jan 23, 2009
40 posts
Toronto
Hades - also heard the HP doesn't have good screen response, although the price-point is good, I'm willing to spend up to 500-1k more if necessary. How is it for screen flex?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2005
1386 posts
7 upvotes
I have the same question but will be buying in april.

I'm an engineering student and just sick of carrying stacks of books and papers.

The touchsmart 2 looks like good value. The most important thing is how good is the transition from paper to digital because I don't want to carry any paper binders after this.

here is a review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tablet.htm

Op please update the thread with what you end up buying and your opinion on it.
Jan 23, 2009
40 posts
Toronto
Still looking/thinking. Will be posting on TPC tonight.

I've heard good things from the Lenovo's, esp wrt/screen flex not being a big issue.

My major concern is how the X200 processor compares to my current T7700 dual core (which I'm satisfied with).
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2005
1386 posts
7 upvotes
I don't know much about processors but the X200 has SU9400 which should be as fast if not better then the T7700. I think.
Jan 23, 2009
40 posts
Toronto
An 'expert' from TPC is recommending either the T900 > T5010 based on the processor speed.

Surprisingly, the t900 is not that much more than the t5010 - I expected a price drop when it came to Canada.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/EcomCA/ ... ries=T5010
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/EcomCA/ ... eries=T900

Unless I hear different in the next week, I'll probably go with the t900 and replace the HD and RAM for something better (any suggestions?)

-CP
Jan 23, 2009
40 posts
Toronto
I think I'll bit the bullet and go for a T900.

Any available discounts/free upgrades in general and/or for students?

Thanks,
CP
Aug 7, 2004
641 posts
153 upvotes
Gee wrote: Get a Lenovo X200T

I have the older X61T and I think it is the best.
Would you recommend a T410 plus a TM2? Together they're almost the same price as a X200T.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)