Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
94 upvotes
GTA

Power requirements

Hi everyone,

I just bought this computer from BB

The specs from the HP website are here.

I see that the computer has a 250 watt power supply. Will I need to add a better PSU unit for it to be able to upgrade to a discrete video card?

How does one figure out how much power supply each component is using? I looked up the processor and it says it uses 65 watts?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
The good news is a system like that uses maybe 80W tops. The bad news is HP does not use great power supplies in their machines. I would take that 250W figure and cut it in half. I suggest you replace it if you put in any reasonably powerful card, say a HD4670 or higher.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
CombatModel wrote: PSU calculator -> Link
Thanks! Very useful.
Amourek wrote: The good news is a system like that uses maybe 80W tops. The bad news is HP does not use great power supplies in their machines. I would take that 250W figure and cut it in half. I suggest you replace it if you put in any reasonably powerful card, say a HD4670 or higher.
Thanks! :)

I will consider replacing if I decide to upgrade. It hasn;t even shipped yet :P
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Amourek wrote: The good news is a system like that uses maybe 80W tops. The bad news is HP does not use great power supplies in their machines. I would take that 250W figure and cut it in half. I suggest you replace it if you put in any reasonably powerful card, say a HD4670 or higher.
I wouldn't say they're any worse than the other OEMs... maybe except for Acer, I hate those. Lite-On, HiPro, and Delta - it's usually a mix of all three.
Deal with it.