Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

Roger's Bundle Discount is Fraudulent!

I just finished talking to Rogers about canceling my internet with them. Back in August, I had signed up for basic cable so I received a bundle discount but because I'm canceling my internet today (Feb. 22nd) they want me to pay them back for the discounts I received while I had 2 services with them.

I am literally dumbfounded as to how this can be legal?
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, this is a very common practice for Robbers.

I received a retention plan last September and at the time was told if I want to bundle with a 1 year commitment, I can get an additional 10% or 15%. I said no 'cuz I may be moving and was not sure if I was going to cancel.

Sure enough, I moved and thought about canceling and was told I could, but decided to hold off. Then a few weeks ago I finally tried to cancel and was told I was on a 1 year contract and had to pay back my discounts or wait until September. So I haven't been receiving my bundle discount, and now I have to wait until September to cancel my services.

Hate Rogers!
Oct 8, 2008
722 posts
70 upvotes
It's no different than an ETF on a cellphone. You should have read the terms and conditions associated with the bundle which specify that if you cancel before the 2 year agreement is up you have to pay back the discounts they gave you.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
D582 wrote: It's no different than an ETF on a cellphone. You should have read the terms and conditions associated with the bundle which specify that if you cancel before the 2 year agreement is up you have to pay back the discounts they gave you.
What terms and conditions?!? It's all verbal..

The problem with Rogers is that the rep on the phone will say "No Contract Required" and then you are stuck in a contract that you can't get out of without paying a penalty.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
D582 wrote: It's no different than an ETF on a cellphone. You should have read the terms and conditions associated with the bundle which specify that if you cancel before the 2 year agreement is up you have to pay back the discounts they gave you.
I understand that, but it offends common sense, don't you think? It's like you buy a 2 for 1 item and receive a discount but the next time you only buy one and they hit you with a latent penalty.

It's not right!
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
I've never taken a bundle deal, never will for this reason. I thought it was common knowledge. Did Rogers send you *nothing* when you signed up for the deal?

And why does it offend common sense? I'm not defending them but really there are penalties for cancelling everything else you *ever* signed up for, why wouldn't there be for this?
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
HowEver wrote: I've never taken a bundle deal, never will for this reason. I thought it was common knowledge. Did Rogers send you *nothing* when you signed up for the deal?

And why does it offend common sense? I'm not defending them but really there are penalties for cancelling everything else you *ever* signed up for, why wouldn't there be for this?
They probably did send me a letter, but how many of us really read through and through all documents. It's mostly junk mail anyhow.

It offends common sense because partly because a contract was not mentioned when I agreed. I specifically said.. if I can save money, why not. That was basically the gist of it and they didn't mention any other commitment at that time. I took it as a gesture of appreciation on Rogers' part because I was giving them more business, more of my money, they were reciprocating by giving me a discount. Anyway, it's beguiling way of getting people to switch all their services to them exclusively. ECF is specifically well publicized in the cell phone market but not this.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
I received my final internet bill from Rogers today and somehow was charged $4.95 for RBCB cancellation fee. The interesting part I never signed up for a bundle and was always getting separate bills. It's not a huge amount but it's just unbelievable how they are trying to charge something extra.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
It depends on how long you have had your bundle.

People who have been with Rogers a long time (like me) have the ORIGINAL bundle discount, which was not tied to any contract.

Recently (like 1/2 years ago) they changed it so that you could not get the bundle discount without agreeing to what is basically a 1 year agreement. If you cancel before that year is up, you have to pay back all your bundle discount.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA
yeah rogers normally never mention the fact that those bundle discounts make you sign up for 1-2 years of service.

just another way to scam people
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Yup got caught in the same scam so I'm now in the process of cancelling everything over the next few months so I get hit with the least financial impacts.

At one point last summer when I added channels to my programming I was told "Congrats you qualify for a bundle discount, let me add that to your account".

Last week when I called in to cancel my internet I was told I needed to pay a $50 cancellation fee because I was breaking my bundle contract. Needless to say I also went ahead and cancelled as much as I could for "free"; some extra channel packages and some of my wireless features.

Congrats Robbers, hope that $50 is worth losing my recurring $150-200 from my monthly bill.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The new bundle deal is indeed a contract. When I added it to my account I was told explicitly that it is a 1-year commitment.

Can't really blame Rogers if you are not paying attention. Then again it's also possible that the CSR forgot to tell you about this detail when you sign up.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Emancipated wrote: I understand that, but it offends common sense, don't you think? It's like you buy a 2 for 1 item and receive a discount but the next time you only buy one and they hit you with a latent penalty.

It's not right!
that's exactly how it works..wtf are you talking about :confused:

you goto a store and get a buy one get one free promo...if you return it, of course you have to give the "free" one back. is it that hard of a concept?

the bundles discount is exact samething
Dec 19, 2008
11 posts
1 upvote
streetsville
I just got off the phone with a very nice Rogers billing account person. I was trying to see if I could avoid paying the RBCB Cancellation Fee for Internet and Phone (I'm now with Teksavvy). I did get them to remove the charges because the rep who I canceled with did not explicitly say that there would be cancellation fees (and their records supported this). So if you cancel and they don't tell you about the fees then I'd say theres a good chance of getting the charges removed.

Greg0ire
Ottawa ON

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)