Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

Bell/Rogers Migration

So how's it going with that? How many have switched to Bell?

I finally made the call to Rogers and put in a cancellation order. I was given $42 for Extreme a 30% discount. So apples to apples, it's Bell's Fibe 12 ( $41.95 + $30, 12Mbit/1Mbit, 50GB) vs Roger's Extreme ( $42 + $50 12Mbit/1Mbit, 95GB). Knowing my usage patterns, I'll be paying their surcharge for extra bandwidth every month.

Give or take, it's $72 vs $92 a month. They wouldn't waive the modem fee or give me a discount on the Extreme Plus or Ultimate so I'm going to go with Bell. I just HATE paying for installation/setup fees.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
There is a retentions thread in Hot Deals ... but you probably already knew that :)

(otherwise useless post, I grab HD channels OTA ... all 4 of them lol)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
Grass isn't any greener on the other side. Does bell charge you activation, installation or modem rental charge?? Did u make sure?

I know fibe modem are special modem, not a cheapo TP-Link u can get it anywhere.

Terms and condition here
Available to residential customers in Ontario where technology permits. $25 fee applies if you downgrade to slower-speed service. One time activation fee ($29.95) extra; waived for Bell TV subscribers. Modem rental ($3.95/mo.) extra. Additional service fee ($100 plus tax) applies upon early termination. 30-day notice required to cancel service. Subject to change without notice and cannot be combined with any other offer. Taxes extra. Other conditions apply, including minimum system requirements.

1 Speeds on the Internet may vary with your configuration, Internet traffic, server, applicable network management or other factors; see bell.ca/internet.
2 Additional equipment required, including cables and adapters.

3 Also available to customers where Bell TV service is not available.

Available to new customers and existing Bell Internet dial-up customers who sign up for Bell Fibe 16 Internet on a 1-year contract and at least 1 other select service; see bell.ca/bundle. Monthly rate $61.95 (subject to change), less $10 credit for months 1 to 12 ($5 ongoing as a Bell TV customer), and $5 Bundle discount. Bundle discount may be terminated by Bell upon 30-day notice. Usage 75GB/month; $1.00/additional GB, rounded up to the next GB.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
KevC wrote: There is a retentions thread in Hot Deals ... but you probably already knew that :)

(otherwise useless post, I grab HD channels OTA ... all 4 of them lol)

Yup. I didn't even know Bell/DSL had speeds faster than 5Mbit until I read about that thread. The only reason I have cable at all is for Fairchild channel. Parents watch it. Unless I can get Faircild OTA, I'm stuck paying $50 for it. Sigh.

tomtomtom wrote: Grass isn't any greener on the other side. Does bell charge you activation, installation or modem rental charge?? Did u make sure?

I know fibe modem are special modem, not a cheapo TP-Link u can get it anywhere.

Terms and condition here
Available to residential customers in Ontario where technology permits. $25 fee applies if you downgrade to slower-speed service. One time activation fee ($29.95) extra; waived for Bell TV subscribers. Modem rental ($3.95/mo.) extra. Additional service fee ($100 plus tax) applies upon early termination. 30-day notice required to cancel service. Subject to change without notice and cannot be combined with any other offer. Taxes extra. Other conditions apply, including minimum system requirements.

1 Speeds on the Internet may vary with your configuration, Internet traffic, server, applicable network management or other factors; see bell.ca/internet.
2 Additional equipment required, including cables and adapters.

3 Also available to customers where Bell TV service is not available.

Available to new customers and existing Bell Internet dial-up customers who sign up for Bell Fibe 16 Internet on a 1-year contract and at least 1 other select service; see bell.ca/bundle. Monthly rate $61.95 (subject to change), less $10 credit for months 1 to 12 ($5 ongoing as a Bell TV customer), and $5 Bundle discount. Bundle discount may be terminated by Bell upon 30-day notice. Usage 75GB/month; $1.00/additional GB, rounded up to the next GB.
Yeah I know. Rogers wouldn't waive the modem fees unless I buy of course but $29.99 for Bell setup is better than $50 for Rogers. I think I paid this twice; once for my cable internet setup a few years ago and now for cable tv. Outrageous!
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
I just ordered Fibe 25 but I'm a little confused about how much I'm being offered.

Firstly, the lady I spoke with didn't sound very informed. She sounded like an old lady who needs assistance with her email, to be honest but here's the breakdown:

$57.95 / $52.95 after $5 discount
$6.95 modem rental, $1.95 after $5 Olympics discount

$62 for Fibe 25 all inclusive.

Got a confirmation number so I hope that's legally binding. Installation is at the earliest March 2nd. Wish it was sooner.

Pretty good deal, right? I can purchase $5 for an extra 40GB for a total of 115GB a month.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Emancipated wrote: I just ordered Fibe 25 but I'm a little confused about how much I'm being offered.

Firstly, the lady I spoke with didn't sound very informed. She sounded like an old lady who needs assistance with her email, to be honest but here's the breakdown:

$57.95 / $52.95 after $5 discount
$6.95 modem rental, $1.95 after $5 Olympics discount

$62 for Fibe 25 all inclusive.

Got a confirmation number so I hope that's legally binding. Installation is at the earliest March 2nd. Wish it was sooner.

Pretty good deal, right? I can purchase $5 for an extra 40GB for a total of 115GB a month.
That's the best part of Bell internet. With Rogers you would pay $50 extra for just 40GB.

I cancelled my Rogers internet on January 23, tomorrow is my last day. I also have cable only because of a few channels Bell doesn't have. Otherwise, I would have cancelled that one as well.

With Bell internet I will first try Fibe 12 and then depending on my needs, switch to Fibe 25. The speed is already faster than Rogers, so I'm happy about that.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Vov86 wrote: That's the best part of Bell internet. With Rogers you would pay $50 extra for just 40GB.

I cancelled my Rogers internet on January 23, tomorrow is my last day. I also have cable only because of a few channels Bell doesn't have. Otherwise, I would have cancelled that one as well.

With Bell internet I will first try Fibe 12 and then depending on my needs, switch to Fibe 25. The speed is already faster than Rogers, so I'm happy about that.
Technically, Roger's 10Mbit is 12Mbit depending on how you look at it. I don't think Bell's Fibe 12 will getyou 1.45Mbyte as you're expecting.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Gee wrote: What is the upload speed on these Bell Packages?
1Mbit across the board except their highest service, the 25Mbit package has 7Mbit upload.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
I must say, thats some really impressive pricing for 12Mbps. Bell really did go out of its way to undercut rogers. Especially with $5 for 40GB of extra bandwidth. I would probably need the Fibe 16 package though because of the higher cap.

Emancipated let us know how the installation goes and the service. Anyone know if these prices are available just because of the Olympics? Would suck to see them go once we hit spring.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Emancipated wrote: 1Mbit across the board except their highest service, the 25Mbit package has 7Mbit upload.
What is the cost for the 25 Mbit package?

I tried getting Bell Entertainment Service, but it isn't available in my area.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
I am reluctant to get my dad to make the switch from our current Roger's Extreme package to Fibre 25.. but I am waiting to see what Rogers' response to bell's new packages are.

Does anyone have a clue yet or what?

We are currently only paying $42/m for our extreme package as my dad is the master of negotiation and retention..

Should I wait or try to influence him to get Fibre 25 cheaper?
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
F Bell
F Rogers

Newsgroups, OTA and Atdhe.net for the win Alex.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Jaytee wrote: F Bell
F Rogers

Newsgroups, OTA and Atdhe.net for the win Alex.
You still need an internet connection.

Ya ya, Teksavvy, blah blah blah

In the end, Bell still gets your dollars.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
This is true. This is why I download 24/7, not because I need to, but for spite. F Bell.

Gee wrote: You still need an internet connection.

Ya ya, Teksavvy, blah blah blah

In the end, Bell still gets your dollars.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Emancipated wrote: Technically, Roger's 10Mbit is 12Mbit depending on how you look at it. I don't think Bell's Fibe 12 will getyou 1.45Mbyte as you're expecting.
I was never getting 10-12 with Rogers, it was always 8-9 with Express but lately it became really bad. My speed was only good after midnight.

My speed in the evening:

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/708376340.png[/IMG]

My speed after midnight:

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/708505702.png[/IMG]

Now that's what I'm getting with Fibe 12:

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/726340149.png[/IMG]

Fibe 25:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/10359398-post422/
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Gee wrote: What is the cost for the 25 Mbit package?

I tried getting Bell Entertainment Service, but it isn't available in my area.
They're giving a $10 discount right now so you should decide soon because part of it is to do with the Olympics so it could be axed soon.

I pay $62 after tax with modem rental included. I suspect 75GB will not be enough so tack on another $30 to that. It's going to be $92 a month. I've been paying $72 for Express but next billing cycle it would definitely be $97 because I go over every month. Now I get an amazing upload speed (hopefully) and 2.5 times faster download.
Vov86 wrote: I was never getting 10-12 with Rogers, it was always 8-9 with Express but lately it became really bad. My speed was only good after midnight.

My speed in the evening:

[IMG ]http://www.speedtest.net/result/708376340.png[/IMG]

My speed after midnight:

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/7085057 02.png[/IMG]

Now that's what I'm getting with Fibe 12:

[UR L=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/726340149.png[/IMG][/url]

Fibe 25:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/10359398-post422/
Guess I'm lucky then. Speeds are good for me except for certain times in the evening when it would dip but it isn't prolonged, just pockets here and there.

Did you have DSL prior to Fibe at your current location? I wonder if speeds are independent of tech. Fibe is just driven by a newfangled modem but the wiring is essentially the same as vDSL, right?
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Emancipated wrote: Guess I'm lucky then. Speeds are good for me except for certain times in the evening when it would dip but it isn't prolonged, just pockets here and there.

Did you have DSL prior to Fibe at your current location? I wonder if speeds are independent of tech. Fibe is just driven by a newfangled modem but the wiring is essentially the same as vDSL, right?
It was pretty good for me before but lately it became really bad.

Not sure. I have been with Rogers for a while and now it's my first time trying DSL. I haven't looked at other providers or other available options in the past four years.