• Mar 13th, 2010 3:21 pm
Tags:
Banned
Mar 4, 2009
4833 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto

Wal-Mart to expand Canadian supercentres

Wal-Mart Canada plans to open 35 to 40 supercentres across Canada in 2010.

Through a combination of new openings, relocations and renovations of existing stores, the company will spend $500 million and create more than 6,500 jobs, it said Tuesday.

The company said specific store locations will be announced over the coming weeks and months.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/02/2 ... z0gQfYfInf
61 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
26 upvotes
Ever since the Super Centre in my town the competition between WM and RCSS has been absolutely cutthroat. They both post each other's flyers at the entrance of the stores, match promotions for branded and ,astoundingly, for their generic products too. It's really strange seeing PC Yogurt going down to $1.75 because WalMart has their brand store brand on for $1.75 as well.

I haven't been in the Wal-Mart for months simply because RCSS sends in price checkers into their store to match even their non-sale items.

Wal-mart started this arms race by opening 2 supercentres within 15 KM of each other, so it is amazing to see what wal-mart does to the local market.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
Small town where I grew up has 30,000 people in it, and it got a walmart maybe 15 years ago. All of a sudden stores popped up around it like wildfire, a home depot, sportchek, movie theater, future shop, food places, restaurants, etc.

Fast forward to last year and walmart just up and moves across the street - literally (less than 1 km away) and builds a new super center... now the city has this huge old abandoned walmart to deal with, and all these stores that are seeing significantly less traffic because they lose the walmart run-off from being "right there".

Its a bit ridiculous, but they make or break communities. I can say that I've only see one other closed wal-mart in my life, and that was another instance where they got bigger.

I wish I could show satellite imaging but its covered in clouds (lol)

edit - here is a streetview map for anyone interested... initially its on the old walmart (empty) and if you rotate about 45 degrees to the right you'll see the super center http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 4,,1,11.14
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
3014 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
matdwyer wrote: Small town where I grew up has 30,000 people in it, and it got a walmart maybe 15 years ago. All of a sudden stores popped up around it like wildfire, a home depot, sportchek, movie theater, future shop, food places, restaurants, etc.

Fast forward to last year and walmart just up and moves across the street - literally (less than 1 km away) and builds a new super center... now the city has this huge old abandoned walmart to deal with, and all these stores that are seeing significantly less traffic because they lose the walmart run-off from being "right there".

Its a bit ridiculous, but they make or break communities. I can say that I've only see one other closed wal-mart in my life, and that was another instance where they got bigger.

I wish I could show satellite imaging but its covered in clouds (lol)

edit - here is a streetview map for anyone interested... initially its on the old walmart (empty) and if you rotate about 45 degrees to the right you'll see the super center http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 4,,1,11.14
Sad but true. Either way, we still shop at wal-mart. There used to be a wal-mart near my place in toronto beside winners/futureshop/rona and whole bunch of smaller stores. Once that wal-mart moved like 2 blocks away from the original spot. All the other stores began to close down. Winners however, is actually building a new store beside the new walmart loll
Mar 16, 2005
993 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
Check out the movie called Walmart: The Hight Cost of Low Prices. At the time of the shooting there was over 26Million Sq ft. of empty Walmarts across the US. Basically the get tax breaks to move in, and when they expire they move just across city or county lines and get new tax breaks.
Regards,
-P

Ebay
Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
how many of those new 6,500 jobs are going to be minimum wage?
Jan 21, 2008
808 posts
35 upvotes
No Frills wrote: how many of those new 6,500 jobs are going to be minimum wage?
You have a point but it's better than zero.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2005
1064 posts
66 upvotes
Downtown TO
No Frills wrote:how many of those new 6,500 jobs are going to be minimum wage?
^my guess would be more than 3/4.

whenever a new wal-mart opens up its amazing to see how many other businesses pop up beside them, and even more amazing how they all soon disappear when one closes. its not just a store, but the name is like bait for competing businesses.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
dondada83 wrote: You have a point but it's better than zero.
probably worse since it would close down other stores that pay their employees a bit better. Grocery stores use to give most of their employees something resembling a living wage.
Oct 16, 2007
681 posts
88 upvotes
abu_sme wrote: Ever since the Super Centre in my town the competition between WM and RCSS has been absolutely cutthroat. They both post each other's flyers at the entrance of the stores, match promotions for branded and ,astoundingly, for their generic products too. It's really strange seeing PC Yogurt going down to $1.75 because WalMart has their brand store brand on for $1.75 as well.

I haven't been in the Wal-Mart for months simply because RCSS sends in price checkers into their store to match even their non-sale items.

Wal-mart started this arms race by opening 2 supercentres within 15 KM of each other, so it is amazing to see what wal-mart does to the local market.
I don't see anything like this at my local RCSS, and it's across the street from a Walmart. :(
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3214 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
No Frills wrote: how many of those new 6,500 jobs are going to be minimum wage?
getting min wage is still better than jobless.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
5634 posts
208 upvotes
Scarborough
Goober56 wrote: Check out the movie called Walmart: The Hight Cost of Low Prices. At the time of the shooting there was over 26Million Sq ft. of empty Walmarts across the US. Basically the get tax breaks to move in, and when they expire they move just across city or county lines and get new tax breaks.
That was an eye-opener. Though this is RFD, most people here simply won't be able to refuse Walmart's low pricing....and PM policy...
RZ9 5900X|GB X570 Aorus Elite|CR 2x16Gb DDR4-3600 CL16|eVGA GF RTX 3080 10GB XCU|eVGA SN750 P2|Antec P183|LG WH14NS40|Intel 730 480GB SSD|CC MX500 2TB SSD|SS 1TB HDD|SoundBlaster Z|Logi Z-5500|LG 38WK95C/Len TV T22i-10|CS K100|HyperX PF Surge|Ocu. Rift S
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
abu_sme wrote: Ever since the Super Centre in my town the competition between WM and RCSS has been absolutely cutthroat. They both post each other's flyers at the entrance of the stores, match promotions for branded and ,astoundingly, for their generic products too. It's really strange seeing PC Yogurt going down to $1.75 because WalMart has their brand store brand on for $1.75 as well.

Its funny because in Atlantic Canada I find Sobeys is cheaper than walmart *OR* Superstore on most grocery items. Yes you can find items at Walmart or Superstore that are cheaper, but on average, Sobeys seems cheaper when you add it up, always. Also you get air miles and gas coupons on top of it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ccyk wrote: getting min wage is still better than jobless.
+1

I rather people work and contribute back to society than instead of leeching off welfare.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1478 posts
521 upvotes
GTA
number8888 wrote: +1

I rather people work and contribute back to society than instead of leeching off welfare.
Walmart primarily hires part time now so they don't pay benefits. I'd love to see the math showing how a part-time job with absolutely no benefits at walmart gives you more money than welfare.
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
67 upvotes
slim_shady wrote: Walmart primarily hires part time now so they don't pay benefits. I'd love to see the math showing how a part-time job with absolutely no benefits at walmart gives you more money than welfare.
Probably cheaper to live off welfare, but that doesn't mean people should.

JMO -Welfare is meant as a last, temporary resort for those in desperate need who have already exhausted other possibilities (ie family, friends, etc); not as a career option. I am guessing a lot of the hostility to those who collect welfare is aimed at those who treat it as such.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2006
1136 posts
30 upvotes
I hope they bring a supercenter here in Winnipeg. Ours are totally boring compared to the ones I go to in the states.

Plus we could use more jobs here with our recent population boom. Regardless if it's minimum wage or not, it's a good starting point and it's better than not having a job at all (guess what, I used to work for one in the summer of 1998 and helped put me to school) or peddling at the intersection for change with a cardboard sign that says a ninja killed your family.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
5634 posts
208 upvotes
Scarborough
HoleyMoley wrote: Probably cheaper to live off welfare, but that doesn't mean people should.

JMO -Welfare is meant as a last, temporary resort for those in desperate need who have already exhausted other possibilities (ie family, friends, etc); not as a career option. I am guessing a lot of the hostility to those who collect welfare is aimed at those who treat it as such.
Good luck with that convincing people they should work for less money then they would receive from doing nothing and just getting welfare... :twisted:
RZ9 5900X|GB X570 Aorus Elite|CR 2x16Gb DDR4-3600 CL16|eVGA GF RTX 3080 10GB XCU|eVGA SN750 P2|Antec P183|LG WH14NS40|Intel 730 480GB SSD|CC MX500 2TB SSD|SS 1TB HDD|SoundBlaster Z|Logi Z-5500|LG 38WK95C/Len TV T22i-10|CS K100|HyperX PF Surge|Ocu. Rift S
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
coldpower27 wrote: good luck with that convincing people they should work for less money then they would receive from doing nothing and just getting welfare... :twisted:
+1
Jul 20, 2007
692 posts
260 upvotes
Aurora
holeymoley wrote: probably cheaper to live off welfare, but that doesn't mean people should.

Jmo -welfare is meant as a last, temporary resort for those in desperate need who have already exhausted other possibilities (ie family, friends, etc); not as a career option. I am guessing a lot of the hostility to those who collect welfare is aimed at those who treat it as such.
+1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)