Shopping Discussion

What happens when you cancel an order at an optical store?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2010 6:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver

What happens when you cancel an order at an optical store?

So I canceled my order at an optical store and they already got the frames and lenses sent by courier. Obviously they can sell the frames, but are they out of money on the lenses?

How do I make it up to them since it's my fault...sort of? I changed my order 24 hours after it was initially made. Surely, they didn't make the order right away with the lens company?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3214 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
scoobydoo wrote: Surely, they didn't make the order right away with the lens company?
how sure?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Did they ask you for a deposit? If so, consider it gone. If not, then its their loss. I recently replaced a scratched lens in my 1 year old glasses (persciption lens, antiglare coating) and it cost just $20 at the original place where I got my glasses. So the lenses aren't really that expensive I suppose.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
amz155 wrote: Did they ask you for a deposit? If so, consider it gone. If not, then its their loss. I recently replaced a scratched lens in my 1 year old glasses (persciption lens, antiglare coating) and it cost just $20 at the original place where I got my glasses. So the lenses aren't really that expensive I suppose.
Seriously... I paid 2 bills for a deposit. I can't afford that. What do I do...? How much should I have paid for a deposit? $100.00?

There's nothing else I can do? I just have to keep the lenses?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1975 posts
88 upvotes
Why did you have to cancel your order? Did your eyes decide to go back to 20/20 or something?

When I got my glasses done at Hakim Optical (none in BC unfortunately; closest is Calgary) they never asked me for a deposit. I'm assuming the store could just sell the lenses to the next fellow that comes in and needs that size.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: Seriously... I paid 2 bills for a deposit. I can't afford that. What do I do...? How much should I have paid for a deposit? $100.00?

There's nothing else I can do? I just have to keep the lenses?
Well did you ask them what their policy is yet? You posted the OP yesterday so I'm sure by now they've let you know what their policy on cancelled orders is.

By "2 bills" do you mean $200? If you can't afford losing $200, then why did you cancel the order?

How much you "should" have paid ofr the deposit is up to the store's policy. How much were the glasses that they asked $200 for a deposit. Geez, the most I've ever paid for designer glasses, including frames is $250 at First Markham Place. The most they ever asked me for was $50 for a deposit.

Guess you should have checked what their cancellation/deposit policy was before you ordered the glasses. Maybe they can apply the $200 to something else in the store that you like?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
amz155 wrote: Well did you ask them what their policy is yet? You posted the OP yesterday so I'm sure by now they've let you know what their policy on cancelled orders is.

By "2 bills" do you mean $200? If you can't afford losing $200, then why did you cancel the order?

How much you "should" have paid ofr the deposit is up to the store's policy. How much were the glasses that they asked $200 for a deposit. Geez, the most I've ever paid for designer glasses, including frames is $250 at First Markham Place. The most they ever asked me for was $50 for a deposit.

Guess you should have checked what their cancellation/deposit policy was before you ordered the glasses. Maybe they can apply the $200 to something else in the store that you like?
I don't have any new information at the moment, I'll let you know when I talk to them next.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
40 upvotes
Sask
mr_toast wrote: I'm assuming the store could just sell the lenses to the next fellow that comes in and needs that size.
Not a chance... to make lenses they start with a blank that has your specific prescription, curvature, angle etc.

But from that they have measurements of where your pupils are and make that the center. Then they trace the exact shape that corresponds to your frame style and size and cut them to match. Various coatings and treatments may then be applied.

No way someone else can use those lenses once they've been cut.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
cocoyogurt wrote: Why did you have to cancel your order?
The lenses I thought I wanted wasn't as good as what I usually wear.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
Neil wrote: Not a chance... to make lenses they start with a blank that has your specific prescription, curvature, angle etc.

No way someone else can use those lenses once they've been cut.
Who does the cutting? The Laboratory or the Optical Store?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote: Who does the cutting? The Laboratory or the Optical Store?
Surely by now you will have spoken with the store and can tell us what they offered you: deposit back? store credit?

At this point, does it matter where the lenses are cut?