• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2013 7:55 pm
Tags:
None
42 replies
Feb 9, 2004
288 posts
37 upvotes
If the shipper didn't ship it as "signature required" then UPS can leave it at the door.
May 13, 2007
153 posts
3 upvotes
thank goodness you don't live in a shady neighbourhood
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
baxter wrote: If the shipper didn't ship it as "signature required" then UPS can leave it at the door.
I am pretty sure Costco would require a signature. Otherwise what is to stop somebody claiming the product did not arrive and requesting a refund or redelivery?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Happened to us the other day when UPS delivered a netbook ordered from Tiger Direct. I happened to be home, though. The driver just knocked, dumped the package onthe porch and got back into his truck.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
Happens all the time check that tracking number and make sure someone is in when it arrives
Hello
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3400 posts
105 upvotes
I am glad I went with my instance and opted with FedEx instead of UPS, when I order my computer parts from NCIX.
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Nov 28, 2006
227 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Check your tracking # if it has a DK or DL in the middle of it then it was supposed to be signature required. If it is all #'s after the first few digits then it didn't have signature required.
Mar 17, 2010
54 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Check with Costco-this could potentially be a big breach of security.

No harm in double-checking, could be worth a shot.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
I've had that happen before too, it was a $500 item and they just left it at the door. UPS is bad for that.

For the last couple of years Purolator has been delivering for Costco.ca and it has been excellent service. I am glad they changed.
I have even asked the delivery guy to please deliver in the AM when someone will be home, he hasnt let us down yet!
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 28, 2006
5031 posts
14065 upvotes
Winnipeg
UPS once left a PS3 and four games in my back yard.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
This happened to a co worker of mine. The UPS driver tossed his computer case into the bushes outside to hide it from plain site.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2009
1537 posts
87 upvotes
Planet X
pitabread wrote: This happened to a co worker of mine. The UPS driver tossed his computer case into the bushes outside to hide it from plain site.
Nice. So how long was it there before he noticed it?

So if your dumped on the porch/front stairs package with your $500+ item is stolen for real..... Then what recourse do you take against UPS/Fedex etc etc??

Does it just become your word against theirs?

That's why I have a laminated sign with big bold letters on my front door that states:

Attention delivery person, don't leave my package outside.
If no one answers, just leave a attempted delivery notice on my door
and I will pick it up at the depot the next day. Thank you.

In order to not have to deal with a package of mine from possibly being stolen off my porch.
.... I see, a bright past ....
but it's starting to dim.
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
MeiserT wrote:

Exactly what I do and it works. If I'm expecting a package from UPS, I stick a note on the door that reads:

"UPS, please do not leave package outside"
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
MeiserT wrote: Nice. So how long was it there before he noticed it?

So if your dumped on the porch/front stairs package with your $500+ item is stolen for real..... Then what recourse do you take against UPS/Fedex etc etc??

Does it just become your word against theirs?

That's why I have a laminated sign with big bold letters on my front door that states:

In order to not have to deal with a package of mine from possibly being stolen off my porch.
Was 2 days and he called in after noticing that it's been a "delivered" status. The rep on the phone was about to trace down the driver when he noticed something outside the bushes.
Jun 2, 2008
504 posts
62 upvotes
I had the same issue happen with me at Costco. I had a laptop and projector left on my doorstep all day until I got home from work. It was the dead of winter and Costco, being as frugal as they are, didn't double box the items so there sat my items, in their original boxes with the word TOSHIBA across the side. Luckily no one swiped them.

A few days after I received the items I got a call from Costco customer service wondering if I got my packages because they didn't see a digital signature when the items were delivered. I should have said no, but being honest I said I did receive them but while I have you on the phone here is what happened.....blah, blah, blah.

Gave the rep an earful, the rep was totally unimpressed but not surprised. I told him I was done shopping at Costco as long as they used UPS, he said there was no plans for changing shipping companies. I asked him to cancel my Costco card and give me a full refund, which he did.

Now I make it a point to avoid companies that use UPS and call them to tell them so. A couriers job is pretty simple, make sure the customer gets their packages. I don't know why UPS is full of lazy, incompetent employees. Or maybe they are trained that way, who knows.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Dave113 wrote: ... if it has a DK or...then it was supposed to be....
DK is "Drop-Kick permitted"...I'd try to avoid DK shipping options

:lol:
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Errr... this is not a UPS-specific problem, its with ANY courier, if the shipper doesn't ship the item as "signiture-required" they'll just drop it off at your front door. I've had UPS, Purolator, DHL and even Canada Xpresspost do this where they simply left a delivered item on my front porch.

This is what you get for paying for the cheapest basic shipping option. I've had things I've bought online from Lego's online store or NCIX that were just left on my front porch including my $600 Lego Millennium Falcon set that came in a giant box! And everyone in my house enters through the garage where the front porch isn't visible from so my Millennium Falcon set actually set outside overnight unnoticed until I checked the shipment tracker the next day and saw that it was "delivered", opened my front door and saw it sitting there.

Fortunately I live in a very quiet suburban neighbourhood where everyone knows each other so I'm not too worried about having packages stolen but it does annoy me.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Winkle wrote: .... I live in a very quiet suburban neighbourhood where everyone knows each other....
Lies!!!!!!, nobody knows each other in Toronto...ESPECIALLY your neighbours!

:D .
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote: Errr... this is not a UPS-specific problem, its with ANY courier, if the shipper doesn't ship the item as "signiture-required" they'll just drop it off at your front door. I've had UPS, Purolator, DHL and even Canada Xpresspost do this where they simply left a delivered item on my front porch.
+1

What do you expect the courier to do if it doesn't say a signature is required? If the courier takes a no-signature-required package back to the depot because they don't feel comfortable leaving it around on your property, then they'll get in trouble because the customer would be complaining that they didn't get the important, time-sensitive package, no-signature-required package on their doorstep like they expected. Now if a signature was required, and they didn't ask for one or notice that it was required, that's a completely different story.

Only complaint I have with UPS (besides brokerage fees, but that's nothing to do with the delivery side) is that sometimes if a signature is required, but you meet them at the door, the driver will just hand it to me, say "have a nice day", then jog back to his truck and drive off. When I look at the tracking later, it'll have a note saying something like "MET MAN DOOR" in place of a signature. From the sender's perspective, it'll be a lot better to actually have someone's signature as it might indicate who in the building/house/office actually received the package. However, maybe it's just that one particular lazy UPS driver.