• Mar 26th, 2010 1:55 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 22, 2008
622 posts
420 upvotes
Orangeville

[ON]Direct Energy Sneaky Tatics At It's Best To Lock You In for 5 Years

Got a call (bombarding us with calls day and night for days when we didn't want to pick up at first) recently from Direct Energy to "inform" me that due to my "loyalty" water heater renting, I am now in their reward program. They just "need to make sure" I am still at "my address" (what the heck, shouldn't they have that information if I am currently still renting the water heater at that location?!). Did not ask me if I wish to participate (my consent) and did not mention a word of "1. A customer who enrolls in the Program does so for a term of five years (the “Term”)." - http://www.waterheaterrewards.com/Terms.aspx.

There were mentioned of some sort of protection plan with a monthly fee of xx dollars during my conversation with their CSR to make sure I am not enrolled in the program. Not sure if I was being sold of the plan or if I was in the reward program I am in that plan.

Basically Beware!
1 reply
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I have learned that rewards programs or special offers always have a catch sometimes a points card simply allows a retailer to track your purchases to better merchandise their stores and for advertising purposes and other times they can end up costing you thousands of dollars. When you sign up for one of these programs it is up to the consumer to maked sure they are educated on what they are signing and if they don't feel comfortable they should not sign. I have found that if a sales rep is pressuring you to sign something it is not in your best interest to sign.