Computers & Electronics

SOLVED! Wireless bridge network issue (tomato & DD-WRT)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2010 11:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes

SOLVED! Wireless bridge network issue (tomato & DD-WRT)

edit: problem solved. see post 8.

My original network was this:

DSL Modem -> WRT54GL running tomato (192.168.0.1) -> internal network (192.168.0.1xx)

I'm adding a "stoker" (www.rocksbarbque.com/index.html) for my barbecue (a big green egg) and want it hooked up to the network so I can access it from work during long cooks. That thing comes with an ethernet port but since it's used outside the house, I need to hook it up to a wireless bridge which will talk to my main router (the WRT54GL). I've selected an ASUS WL-520GC for the wireless bridge and I've installed DD-WRT on it to be able to do it (disabled its firewall). My network going to the "stoker" is now like this:

DSL Modem -> WRT54GL running tomato (192.168.0.1) ---wireless--> WL-520GC running DD-WRT (192.168.0.2) -> Stoker (192.168.0.50, static)

I've set-up the WRT54GL to forward incoming traffic from port 80 to the 192.168.0.50 IP. From a computer on the network that is hooked up to that same router, I can access the stoker web server perfectly by either using the internal IP (192.168.0.50) or the IP assigned to me by the ISP.

PROBLEM: it doesn't work from a computer outside the network. I know that my WRT54GL lets the traffic through (saw it in the logs) but it never reaches the stoker. If I change my port forwarding in the WRT54GL to forward traffic to 192.168.0.2 which is the wireless bridge hooked up to the stoker, I can see the DD-WRT configuration server.. basically: internal traffic can reach the stoker but external traffic stops at the wireless bridge even though its firewall is disabled. I've set the asus wireless bridge to forward traffic from port 80 to 192.168.0.50 but still no luck. It runs a mini version of DD-WRT so no traffic logs.

is there anything I'm missing or should look for? I can't seem to find why traffic would be blocked at the 2nd router. :confused:

Thanks
7 replies
Mar 20, 2010
109 posts
Hamilton
mart242 wrote: is there anything I'm missing or should look for? I can't seem to find why traffic would be blocked at the 2nd router. :confused: Thanks
Is the tomato router running as an Access Point or as a Router? Switch from one to the other, but I am taking a wild guess. I <3 tomato and am just configuring my PCs for wireless - newbie. :o
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
mutuussentire wrote: Is the tomato router running as an Access Point or as a Router? Switch from one to the other, but I am taking a wild guess. I <3 tomato and am just configuring my PCs for wireless - newbie. :o
Thanks, I'll take a look at that tonight. What really bugs me is that it can forward traffic to router #2 (192.168.0.2) perfectly from the outside (I get access to the web server in the router) but no luck if I try to forward it to the device connected to router 2 (192.168.0.50). That only works from the inside.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
CorSter wrote: Keep the Tomato router in router mode.

Have you specifically changed the DD-WRT router to Bridge mode? If it's running in router mode it won't work properly.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
Yes, that's what I did. And if it wasn't in bridge mode, it wouldn't even work from the internal network (well, it didn't when I tried)
Apr 25, 2005
54 posts
11 upvotes
North York
mart242 wrote: My original network was this:

DSL Modem -> WRT54GL running tomato (192.168.0.1) -> internal network (192.168.0.1xx)

I'm adding a "stoker" (www.rocksbarbque.com/index.html) for my barbecue (a big green egg) and want it hooked up to the network so I can access it from work during long cooks. That thing comes with an ethernet port but since it's used outside the house, I need to hook it up to a wireless bridge which will talk to my main router (the WRT54GL). I've selected an ASUS WL-520GC for the wireless bridge and I've installed DD-WRT on it to be able to do it (disabled its firewall). My network going to the "stoker" is now like this:

DSL Modem -> WRT54GL running tomato (192.168.0.1) ---wireless--> WL-520GC running DD-WRT (192.168.0.2) -> Stoker (192.168.0.50, static)

I've set-up the WRT54GL to forward incoming traffic from port 80 to the 192.168.0.50 IP. From a computer on the network that is hooked up to that same router, I can access the stoker web server perfectly by either using the internal IP (192.168.0.50) or the IP assigned to me by the ISP.

PROBLEM: it doesn't work from a computer outside the network. I know that my WRT54GL lets the traffic through (saw it in the logs) but it never reaches the stoker. If I change my port forwarding in the WRT54GL to forward traffic to 192.168.0.2 which is the wireless bridge hooked up to the stoker, I can see the DD-WRT configuration server.. basically: internal traffic can reach the stoker but external traffic stops at the wireless bridge even though its firewall is disabled. I've set the asus wireless bridge to forward traffic from port 80 to 192.168.0.50 but still no luck. It runs a mini version of DD-WRT so no traffic logs.

is there anything I'm missing or should look for? I can't seem to find why traffic would be blocked at the 2nd router. :confused:

Thanks
Can you configure the Stoker to run dhcp? I'm suspecting the problem is related to tomato router not knowing this client (layer 2 ARP entry) and therefore not forwarding the incoming traffic from port 80.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
gche_99 wrote: Can you configure the Stoker to run dhcp? I'm suspecting the problem is related to tomato router not knowing this client (layer 2 ARP entry) and therefore not forwarding the incoming traffic from port 80.
nice! that makes a lot of sense. yes, I can configure it for DHCP. I'll give that a try tonight.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
gche_99 wrote: Can you configure the Stoker to run dhcp? I'm suspecting the problem is related to tomato router not knowing this client (layer 2 ARP entry) and therefore not forwarding the incoming traffic from port 80.
That solved the problem. Thanks again.