• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2010 9:06 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 1, 2010
12 posts
18 upvotes

Dell U2711 vs HDTV

Hi, I'm looking for a new display that will be used for ps3 gaming, bluray movie, and regular computer tasks. I have been thinking of buying the Dell U2711, but for that price I can get a pretty decent 40''> LCD TV. I'm not an expert on this field and would like some advise. Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Jun 8, 2010
45 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Bump

I posted in the other thread about IPS monitors but now i'm changing my mind and have some extra funds to work with. As i was researching, the U2711 looked much better and that brought up a new dilemma.

Do i get a new 32" LED 120Hz 1080p Samsung TV (U32C5000) or do I go with the Ultrasharp.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
The U2711 is not for a typical user. They are intended for the users whom require true colour reproduction - photo editing. Thus the high price tab. Believe it or not, even at $1,200+, these are a deal compared to other professional quality monitors.

For normal users, you can get a 27" LCD for $300 on sale.
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
I think the choice really depends on what you want to use it for, and how far you'll be sitting from the monitor. I have the U2711 and use it primarily for gaming and photo editing. I sit about 2 feet from the monitor. For these purposes, it works great.

I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 27" on my desk, and I love the extra detail from the higher resolution for gaming. If you're sitting further back or don't need the colour accuracy or detail, then a 32" LED might be preferable.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
32" is about the biggest you can put on a desk to enjoy the high resolution.

I don't see how you can cross shop a 40" and a 27"...the only thing similar is the price. Totally different use.

As mentioned, those very expensive LCDs monitors are usually for specific use...For >>90% users, cheap LCDs on the desk is as good as anything since you're be facing it directly within a couple of feet.

I guess if you're really not sure, get a 32" 1080p LOL.

Otherwise, for desk or main use is for a computer, get a 24" to 27" LCD (but it doesn't have to be very expensive unless you're doing photo edit, etc)

If mostly for watching TV, the bigger the better. However, 40" is not a good size to be uses mainly for computer.
Jun 8, 2010
45 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Well i took the plunge this afternoon. All the comparing and reading, I just got fed up and went to go check out the screens.

The Samsung UN32C5000 is a beauty. It's perfect up close (i'm actually using it to type right now) and it's big enough to view (watch TV/Movies) from my bed about 12 feet away.

It's a PVA LED LCD so it's nice but not as nice as a IPS screen. Don't regret buying it. 32" is not to big for the desktop. For my desk it has about 3" of empty space on each side. As far as viewing it. From 4 feet back staring at the middle everything is visible except the edges are peripheral vision. I just need to slightly change my gaze to see, no head turning.

Some might say you don't know what your missing but ignorance is bliss. The 1080p sync's perfectly with all the media and players, plenty of connections and the TV tuner is a bonus.

So if the OP still cares, I'd say go with a good 32" ****if**** you are a casual user, you game and don't do photo editing.