Shopping Discussion

Returning without receipt--what is each store's policy?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2010 1:24 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1816 posts
430 upvotes
Edmonton

Returning without receipt--what is each store's policy?

just curious of what each store is like when returning something (whether brand new in sealed package or used).

i know home depot is usually store credit pretty much on anything whether its new or used. costco is the same. but i heard for a certain dollar amount its cash as well. liquor stores i know it is cash all the time up to a few hundred dollars and over that its a cheque.

what about other stores such as grocery stores like saveonfoods or superstore and futureshop/bestbuy, etc. of course there is discretion as well. if you look like a junkie chances are they wont allow it. maybe just exchange only. all retailers of course now take your id to make sure this isn't a habit or a scam.

anyone have first hand experience? thanks

edit:
found a link for USA stores but might be outdated

http://storecrowd.com/blog/best-return-policies/
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
At most places you need a receipt because the product could have been purchased from anywhere. I am also pretty sure that grocery stores need a receipt otherwise you will buy something for $1.99 and return it at $4.99.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
IKEA

has to be brand new in packaging and has to be in the existing inventory FOR a store credit on the lowest selling price. one time only.

and for those people who hate policies against having no receipt:

they're doing you a favor. it's a very simple policy that everyone knows and should follow. don't like their policy? dont shop there.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1816 posts
430 upvotes
Edmonton
carmaster wrote: At most places you need a receipt because the product could have been purchased from anywhere. I am also pretty sure that grocery stores need a receipt otherwise you will buy something for $1.99 and return it at $4.99.
no usually stores return it at lowest price they have ever sold it for and usually give you store credit only. thats in general. i am just asking specifically for each store
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1975 posts
88 upvotes
For each store is a very broad question. You need to specify. Even then, you can check that stores' website for their policy.

Having said that, I think hardware/lumber stores (Home Depot, Rona, Lowe's, Home Hardware) accept returns.
Staples I think allows for store credit on unopened merchandise
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
SprawlMart will give you a GC at the lowest price they sold the item for.

The Bay ( and I presume Zellers) will do the same.
Apr 18, 2010
10 posts
Toronto
Canadian Tire will usually return an item for store credit without receipt for the LOWEST PRICE IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS, which almost makes it useless to return things there because unless you shop only the lowest price in a year you will lost value. They will also now no longer accept electronics without a receipt at all.