Shopping Discussion

Bad experience with Bestbuy replacement plan - what can I do ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2010 6:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes

Bad experience with Bestbuy replacement plan - what can I do ?

Forgive for the incoming wall of text, I'll keep it as short as possible :D

I bought a Philips TV ~2 years ago from Bestbuy along with their Product Service Plan. Around ~4 months ago I start to have problems with my TV, I contacted BB and they directed me to their "authorized" repairer (Rayjac Electronics)

From this moment on I have one of my worst experience dealing with BB/Rayjac/Sony cust service. At first Rayjac never showed up to their repair appointment and never even called to notify their cancelation, after much headache they finally came over and determined that the TV need replacement part.

Fast forward 2 months later with 0 communication I called BB again and they found out that Rayjac contacted Bestbuy notifying the part could not be obtained and I should get a replacement TV (they neglect to inform me about this until I called...)

I went to the BB store at Downsview and received a demo model of Sony 40" TV. I had the TV delivered yesterday and to my surprise the TV came with different remote control from the manual (It's a generic Sony remote with ALOT of missing functions).

I called BB PSP hotline again and they told me to go to the store. I went to the store the same day and spoke to the service manager which pretty much told me I'm SOL...and told me to contact Sony.

I contacted Sony this morning and they told me I'm SOL as well and all they can recommend is to contact their accessories department and BUY the remote. I refused to do that and called BB Customer Service line again which notified me that I'm pretty much SOL too...

Anyone have any idea on what I could to to get this rectified ?
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Never should have accepted a demo.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
CorSter wrote: Never should have accepted a demo.
Not really helpfull comment....
I took the demo because it was one of the higher end model and I got another 4 yrs of the PSP for free
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Why did you accept the demo and why didn't you check the contents of the box before accepting it? Always make sure everyhing is included in the demo and inspect the condition of the tv as well.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
You can try complaining to BB corporate office, other then that though, you're pretty much SoL.

Shouldn't have bought a PSP in the first place nor accept a demo unit off the floor... lessons learned.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Why did you accept the demo and why didn't you check the contents of the box before accepting it? Always make sure everyhing is included in the demo and inspect the condition of the tv as well.
The TV itself is in good condition, checked the service menu and it has reasonable uptime.

I did check the content of the box before accepting it... It had all the manual and a remote...didn't think about reading the manual first to confirm (didn't think that I HAVE to)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
Winkle wrote: You can try complaining to BB corporate office, other then that though, you're pretty much SoL.

Shouldn't have bought a PSP in the first place nor accept a demo unit off the floor... lessons learned.
Going to try and contact their corporate office today

Yeah lesson learned...though the PSP was pretty useful considering I will be getting another "free" upgrade in a few years
Jan 17, 2003
620 posts
68 upvotes
BC
Take it all back demand a refund. if they refuse tell them you will contact the media and BBB
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1078 posts
663 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
AzureD wrote: ...though the PSP was pretty useful considering I will be getting another "free" upgrade in a few years
Can you show us the "fine print" on that? Or are you anticipating another Philips-->Sony type "upgrade" like the one you just got?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
Tell them the remote is defective. Isn't that one thing their PSP boasts? It covers accidents and mishaps with the remote? Tell them the manual for the TV says to press this button to do whatever task. Since the remote does not have that functionality it's defective.

When I bought my TV there they tried telling me a replacement remote for my TV was like $400 or something ridiculous like that and I'd be foolish to not buy the warranty. Alternatively you could just avoid the hassle and buy a Harmony. You know.... to go along with your "free tv" and "free PSP" cause well... you know... BB isn't there to make a profit on you.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
Boodie wrote: Take it all back demand a refund. if they refuse tell them you will contact the media and BBB
Sent email to their CR department saying that and called the CR line again, they said they'll contact me in 2 business days with a resolution...we'll see what happen
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
AzureD wrote: Going to try and contact their corporate office today

Yeah lesson learned...though the PSP was pretty useful considering I will be getting another "free" upgrade in a few years
Right there is where you lost any sympathy you may have had coming. You pulled a scam and it didn't turn out as nice as you would have hoped, now you want to cry injustice.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
antichrysler wrote: Tell them the remote is defective. Isn't that one thing their PSP boasts? It covers accidents and mishaps with the remote? Tell them the manual for the TV says to press this button to do whatever task. Since the remote does not have that functionality it's defective.

When I bought my TV there they tried telling me a replacement remote for my TV was like $400 or something ridiculous like that and I'd be foolish to not buy the warranty. Alternatively you could just avoid the hassle and buy a Harmony. You know.... to go along with your "free tv" and "free PSP" cause well... you know... BB isn't there to make a profit on you.
Yeah not really going to spend few hundred bucks just for a remote...

Anyways I know it's just the remote, but it's the principle that counts. Otherwise why would I get the extended warranty in the first place...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
spf1971 wrote: Right there is where you lost any sympathy you may have had coming. You pulled a scam and it didn't turn out as nice as you would have hoped, now you want to cry injustice.
How was this a Scam?
My first TV DID break down and it was under the extendeded warranty and considering the replacement TV is a DEMO TV it'll probably start giving problems again in a few years.

The replacement TV did NOT come with the proper accessories and I'm not allowed to cry injustice?
If you have a car insurance and your replacement car came without the rear view mirror wouldn't you cry injustice aswell ? Or you would consider that a scam too
Jan 17, 2003
620 posts
68 upvotes
BC
spf1971 wrote: Right there is where you lost any sympathy you may have had coming. You pulled a scam and it didn't turn out as nice as you would have hoped, now you want to cry injustice.
huh? :confused:

i paid for psp on my video card included is a free upgrade over the next 2 years...

spf1971 those are some nasty tags you added to this thread, can you explain?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
AzureD wrote: Yeah not really going to spend few hundred bucks just for a remote...

Anyways I know it's just the remote, but it's the principle that counts. Otherwise why would I get the extended warranty in the first place...
Buy a Harmony from somewhere else. Should only be like $50. I paid $60 for my first Harmony at Costco, bought a second one and paid $40 at Dell. Even if you don't have a Costco membership it's cheaper to buy a membership and buy the remote there than it is to just buy the remote from BB to begin with.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
antichrysler wrote: Buy a Harmony from somewhere else. Should only be like $50. I paid $60 for my first Harmony at Costco, bought a second one and paid $40 at Dell. Even if you don't have a Costco membership it's cheaper to buy a membership and buy the remote there than it is to just buy the remote from BB to begin with.
Hm going to look into that, will wait for the response from the BB HQ, if all fails I'll cave for a Harmony remote
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
AzureD wrote: Hm going to look into that, will wait for the response from the BB HQ, if all fails I'll cave for a Harmony remote
You won't hear back from them.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
AzureD wrote: Not really helpfull comment....
I took the demo because it was one of the higher end model and I got another 4 yrs of the PSP for free
You are soooooooo greedy. :|

You get an EXTRA 4 years of warranty WITH an upgraded brand and TV and you're crying about buying a $50 remote, when you GOT a working remote (with less functions). Boo hoo!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
Psubs wrote: You are soooooooo greedy. :|

You get an EXTRA 4 years of warranty WITH an upgraded brand and TV and you're crying about buying a $50 remote, when you GOT a working remote (with less functions). Boo hoo!!!
Like I said before, I know it's just a remote, but it's the principle that counts.
I paid for a product + service and was not given what was advertised.
I'm not just going suck it up and chalk it up as bad luck.
Note that the only reason I got the upgrade was because it was a demo TV and BB opted to give me another extended warranty (who am i to say no to that :P )

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)