Shopping Discussion

Would you have gone ape****? Jumbo Computer bait and switch scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2012 1:03 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1265 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver

Would you have gone ape****? Jumbo Computer bait and switch scam?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z182251251

I saw this ad listed quite a while ago for a camera at Jumbo Computers on College Street, but edited recently. So I emailed it and the person replied saying I should print out the Kajiji ad and they'd honour the price.

I went the next day and the person there (obviously not the one who replied to my email) said he couldn't honour the price because the deal was "over". It's not written anywhere when the deal expires, and it was completely discretionary the way he told me it was over, as if he made it up on the spot. If it is over, why is it still listed online?

I even printed the email saying they would honour the price.

So would you classify this as a bait and switch scam? I left pissed off wasting my time going all the way downtown by transit from Markham.

Do not advertise a price, confirm it by email, then make someone travel all the way downtown to get told NO. Avoid Jumbo Computers at all costs.
[external link removed]
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2800 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Nowhere do I see its from Jumbo Computers.
Except the address.
This could have been made by anyone.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1265 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver
They didn't question whether the ad was theirs or not. They seemed to know the person in the email I printed and showed them.

They just said, "expired. Nothing we can do." -_-
[external link removed]
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
That's not bait and switch. It seems everyone on RFD likes to throw that term around anytime they feel cheated.
Oct 24, 2009
318 posts
3 upvotes
shaner wrote: that's not bait and switch. It seems everyone on rfd likes to throw that term around anytime they feel cheated.
+1
Nov 18, 2009
307 posts
232 upvotes
Shaner wrote: That's not bait and switch. It seems everyone on RFD likes to throw that term around anytime they feel cheated.
Exactly. Also, I don't think he was cheated or ripped off at all, the store in question just seems to have ****** customer service.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA
Shaner wrote: That's not bait and switch. It seems everyone on RFD likes to throw that term around anytime they feel cheated.

actually it is bait and switch if they advertise a product and service that it not available and offer you a similar product at a higher price or a lower quality item.

so i'm not sure what the point of them advertising a computer that is low cost if they don't have them available other than to get people to the stores.
i imagine they hope to sell people on something else.
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
The_Madz wrote: actually it is bait and switch if they advertise a product and service that it not available and offer you a similar product at a higher price or a lower quality item.

so i'm not sure what the point of them advertising a computer that is low cost if they don't have them available other than to get people to the stores.
i imagine they hope to sell people on something else.
OP states expresivly EXPIRED/CHANGED ad on Kijiji. He still had an OLDER printout!
So whats the prob here? He asked and got a confirmation...
The person in store didn't know nothing of it (probably) and there was no camera put aside with a note for him.
OP should've asked to put one aside with pricenote or made sure to get there when the person works who made agreed to the old price. What do you expect from minimum wage retail drones? ;)
OP failed to mention the old/original price as well.
NOOB, learn your lesson and be happy it was only busfare you lost. Smarten up for the next time.....
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
Feb 25, 2009
49 posts
4 upvotes
What do you expect from minimum wage retail drones?

As someone who works in retail I find this offensive. Not all of us make minimum wage, and many of us work our hardest for you. Please keep that in mind next time you go somehwere. The attitude you put out, you will get back
Jan 5, 2010
3 posts
Toronto
pompoco wrote: OP states expresivly EXPIRED/CHANGED ad on Kijiji. He still had an OLDER printout!
So whats the prob here? He asked and got a confirmation...
The person in store didn't know nothing of it (probably) and there was no camera put aside with a note for him.
OP should've asked to put one aside with pricenote or made sure to get there when the person works who made agreed to the old price. What do you expect from minimum wage retail drones? ;)
OP failed to mention the old/original price as well.
NOOB, learn your lesson and be happy it was only busfare you lost. Smarten up for the next time.....

a) don't be a prick
b) read
I even printed the email saying they would honour the price.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
samellens wrote: a) don't be a prick
b) read

You bumped dead thread for that? :facepalm:
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Ojam wrote: You bumped dead thread for that? :facepalm:

I agree.

What exactly was the purpose in bumping up an old thread from 2 years ago????????? > :(
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
woof wrote: I agree.

What exactly was the purpose in bumping up an old thread from 2 years ago????????? > :(

Shill gonna be shillin'