Bye bye Shoppers Drug Mart

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2010 3:29 pm
May 27, 2007
148 posts
47 upvotes
Calgary

Bye bye Shoppers Drug Mart

How many people knowing that shoppers return policy really sucks?

They wouldn't exchange or return the electronic product. And the custom service is really bad. I bought an Acer Aspire Netbook, since its hard driver makes noise. I wanna exchange or return it. The store manager said she bought a same type netbook for her son, it works just fine. I let her test it by herself. She turn on the netbook, it is slow, it makes noise. said “what do you expect a netbook to do? And you have food on your computer, it doesn't seems like it just have been use several times, you can not return it if it isn't resalable”. First of all, you don't suppose to sale it again, if it has some problem. second, I am so sure about that it wouldn't have food on my netbook, I only use it when I was in bed, and I bought a sleeve for this netbook, I always took good care of my staff not just that netbook. So I asked her to ask some neutral person's opinion whether it is in good shape or not.

She said it doesn't matter what other people think, she thought it isn't resalable. She told me she bought a DS for her son at Walmart, she just walked out the store and her son did't like the color, she tried to change it, Walmart didn't let her to do that since she walked out the store. Come on, do you believe so? Actually, I called walmart, ask them this circumstance, they said “it's never happened before. Custom service is everything, they always put customs' right first”.

Then my friend who stood beside me tried to explain more clearly to her, she said “I am dealing with your friend, it doesn't matter what you think, I have been in this company for 20 years, I am the manager here. You could call 1-800-Shoppers tomorrow, and it wouldn't change anything”. :mad: Then she just left us and walked away. I was speechless.

It said on their website: “We have always remained true to our belief that the personal satisfaction of each and every customer is at the root of our success - and it can only be ensured by the commitment of people who realize that success is built one customer at a time”. I called 1-800-SHOPPERS today, they said they cannot do anything, because each shoppers belong to individual owner. Do you believe that? If the head office is powerless like that, how could they guarantee the quality of the product we get from different store?

To be honest, I knew I can do nothing about the manager, like she said she had been in the company for more than 20 years. But I just wanna share the experience here. I'd like to go a store who respect human being from now on. And since the price in Shoppers is much more expensive than the other places.

Thank for your reading.
71 replies
May 27, 2007
148 posts
47 upvotes
Calgary
I will from now on. Because everything in shoppers is just like FINAL SALE!!! No matter what quality customer get, they just sell it without responsibility at all.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Valid points. However, this is the world we all live in. Some people are nice, many are not.

But, KNOWING this, here's what you should do to protect yourself as a consumer:

- carefully ask about the return policy, verbally and on paper
- open your item VERY CAREFULLY so that you can re-seal it the same way you bought it
- repackage everything nicely
- then refund it by telling them: I changed my mind, or my sister bought me the exact same thing

If you cannot do the above, then expect to be turned down when you go refund it. Don't be sad or surprised.

Period.

elainhelen wrote: How many people knowing that shoppers return policy really sucks?

They wouldn't exchange or return the electronic product. And the custom service is really bad. I bought an Acer Aspire Netbook, since its hard driver makes noise. I wanna exchange or return it. The store manager said she bought a same type netbook for her son, it works just fine. I let her test it by herself. She turn on the netbook, it is slow, it makes noise. said “what do you expect a netbook to do? And you have food on your computer, it doesn't seems like it just have been use several times, you can not return it if it isn't resalable”. First of all, you don't suppose to sale it again, if it has some problem. second, I am so sure about that it wouldn't have food on my netbook, I only use it when I was in bed, and I bought a sleeve for this netbook, I always took good care of my staff not just that netbook. So I asked her to ask some neutral person's opinion whether it is in good shape or not.

She said it doesn't matter what other people think, she thought it isn't resalable. She told me she bought a DS for her son at Walmart, she just walked out the store and her son did't like the color, she tried to change it, Walmart didn't let her to do that since she walked out the store. Come on, do you believe so? Actually, I called walmart, ask them this circumstance, they said “it's never happened before. Custom service is everything, they always put customs' right first”.

Then my friend who stood beside me tried to explain more clearly to her, she said “I am dealing with your friend, it doesn't matter what you think, I have been in this company for 20 years, I am the manager here. You could call 1-800-Shoppers tomorrow, and it wouldn't change anything”. :mad: Then she just left us and walked away. I was speechless.

It said on their website: “We have always remained true to our belief that the personal satisfaction of each and every customer is at the root of our success - and it can only be ensured by the commitment of people who realize that success is built one customer at a time”. I called 1-800-SHOPPERS today, they said they cannot do anything, because each shoppers belong to individual owner. Do you believe that? If the head office is powerless like that, how could they guarantee the quality of the product we get from different store?

To be honest, I knew I can do nothing about the manager, like she said she had been in the company for more than 20 years. But I just wanna share the experience here. I'd like to go a store who respect human being from now on. And since the price in Shoppers is much more expensive than the other places.

Thank for your reading.
Jan 6, 2010
26 posts
Toronto
Why in Gods name would you buy a computer at SHOPPERS DRUGMART??
Come on!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I never had to return anything at Shoppers. I only buy snacks and personal care products there. I think they should stay the hell away from bigger electronics.

If the machine made noise that it doesnt supposed to, they pretty much sold you a defective product and it should be dealt with.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
I tend to agree. I might buy a DS or Wii from Shoppers but a computer? No thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4423 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
i don't feel sry for you. it's your fault. why didn't u inquire about their return/exchange policy before buying? Secondly why didn't you purchase from futureshop/walmart/bestbuy where you know you would not of had a problem returning/exchanging item. Lol, buying a computer from shoppers.

anyways to offer some help now. did you purchase on visa? If so if the item is not functioning or w/e within three months of purchase visa will repair it, or refund ur money. This is what happened with my external harddrive. They just made me send a picture of the damage, and they refunded my money no questions asked.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Shoppers Drug Mart stores franchised? I'm not justifying the manager's actions, but that could be one of the reasons he was so hell bent on refusing the return. The same thing happens sometimes at Canadian Tire, which has a similar dealer system.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
[QUOTE]- open your item VERY CAREFULLY so that you can re-seal it the same way you bought it
- repackage everything nicely
- then refund it by telling them: I changed my mind, or my sister bought me the exact same thing[/QUOTE]

I'm siding with OP here but you're teaching people on how to cheat and be dishonest. You open and package and use it (turn it on), that's considered used no matter which angle you want to look at that. This is why companies impose more stricter rules than ever: it's because of you people who abuse the policies and think they can bend it as always.

anyhow, Have you tried to contact Acer about this? It's a hardware problem that should be covered under a year's warranty. I'm assuming you have the receipt as a proof or purchase.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2009
8506 posts
2497 upvotes
Toronto
ndrew029 wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Shoppers Drug Mart stores franchised? I'm not justifying the manager's actions, but that could be one of the reasons he was so hell bent on refusing the return. The same thing happens sometimes at Canadian Tire, which has a similar dealer system.
yes - they are generally owned by the pharmacist.
No Signature
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
you can contact Acer for warranty if something is wrong with that netbook
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
273 upvotes
Kitchener
Just returned a set of squirt guns and everything was smooth..

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Hmm is this the cheapo $230 Acer something down to $89 when used with points? If so, then you made a right decision on buying a computer on a drug mart, lol, just like everyone would. And, return policy is something customary with bigger retailer chains such as shoppers. But then again if the old hag manager didn't budge, just deal with acer. Sooner later the manager realize selling computer ain't like selling cheap-to-make drugs.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3393 posts
641 upvotes
Cowtown
+1. Spending over $200 @ Shoppers is not easy (for guys). And when it comes to bonus redemption, I would buy something like this for myself.

I think OP is not satisfied with his purchase (lots of people expect Netbook to be as fast as Laptops). When it comes to return it's not easy at SDM especially products like this.

Contacting the manufacture is the best option right now. But I dont think OP actually found any fault/error in the product. He just didn't like it.

Just try selling it to somebody and cash your points.

TheRed wrote: Hmm is this the cheapo $230 Acer something down to $89 when used with points? If so, then you made a right decision on buying a computer on a drug mart, lol, just like everyone would. And, return policy is something customary with bigger retailer chains such as shoppers. But then again if the old hag manager didn't budge, just deal with acer. Sooner later the manager realize selling computer ain't like selling cheap-to-make drugs.
Your mental health matters. Every step you take towards self-care and seeking support is a powerful investment in your well-being. You have the strength and resilience to overcome any challenges and thrive in your journey towards better mental health
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
Shoppers Drug Mart sells computers? News to me...
[external advertising link removed]
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
67 upvotes
elainhelen wrote: How many people knowing that shoppers return policy really sucks?

Thank for your reading.
The return policy is for electronics taken from their website:

http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/ ... index.html

#

Electronics

Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase

In some instances you may be required to deal directly with the manufacturer

I agree Shoppers return policy can be inconsistent and challenging, but I am surprised you managed to find: “We have always remained true to our belief that the personal satisfaction of each and every customer is at the root of our success - and it can only be ensured by the commitment of people who realize that success is built one customer at a time” but didn't bother reading further to the actual return policy.
Nov 18, 2009
307 posts
232 upvotes
Reading the original OP made my head hurt. Buying a computer at Shopper's Drug Mart?? That's just dumb. I also don't understand why so many people on this forum have so many problems returning a product they have bought. I have only had this experience once, with 2000 Audio/Video when I tried to return a pair of headphone I didn't have the original packaging for nor did I have a receipt. They told me "no", which didn't exactly surprise me. In every other case I have never had any problems returning products that I didn't want or were broke during the store warranty period.

Anyways, the solution to your problem? Send it to Acer like everyone else around here is saying and common sense should dictate.

Also, I don't understand the Title to this entire thread. Bye Bye Shoppers? Is SDM going some where? Vacation? Job Transfer? I don't get it.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4423 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
Also, OP ur an idiot if you told them it's not functioning properly when you returned it lol. You should of just made another excuse, such is to small, wife doesn't like it. lol
Dec 10, 2008
14 posts
Toronto
TinyTank wrote: Also, OP ur an idiot if you told them it's not functioning properly when you returned it lol. You should of just made another excuse, such is to small, wife doesn't like it. lol
This ^^

Unless the deal was too good to pass up it's never a good idea to buy electronics from a non-electronic store. Secondly, you have to be meticulous when you're returning an item. Leaving crumbs between the keys or finger prints all over the screen increases the odds of you'r return being rejected. I'm betting you THOUGHT its was in good, resaleable condition when you tried to return it. Try returning it to another Shoppers. If that doesn't work then take it as a lesson learned.