• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2010 10:50 am
Tags:
Jun 6, 2010
15 posts
Toronto

My Horror with Magellan GPS Service-Repair

My Horror with Magellan Service

I will keep this to the point and short. This was my horror with Magellan Service. I bought a 1470 on Feb 14 even though I used it less then 12 times I noticed dead pixles the size of a quarter. I called service they were very friendly and ask me to send it back at my expense for a replacement (they indicated they did not send return labels in Canada)

I sent it at a cost of $23 in 5 days I received a 1470 with a few scratches on the screen and it would not load. I called them back and indicated that this unit was dead on arrival and I did not want to send it back at my expense as before they said they would not pay for shipping but as a sweetener they would send me a 100% new unit. ( I figure I can sell my accessories and make up for the shipping costs. In around 5 days I received a new unit problem was it was a 1412. I called back pissed I also asked them if this was a joke and were they filming me for a reality show. I could not believe they mess-up again. Their position was they would not pay for shipping even though they screw-up again. This time they offered to send me a 100% new 1470 and a new leather case. Once again I figure I can sell the 1412 accessories and hopefully make up my $66 dollars in shipping cost. As of this writing I have not received the new 1470 or the leather case. I am keeping my fingers crossed
9 replies
Aug 19, 2006
350 posts
131 upvotes
In for a penny, in for a pound eh?
That is very bad service. I would consider sending a letter someone above customer service and relaying your experience accurately and without embellishment. They might be nice enough to send you a check for your shipping costs.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
FWIW, my parents had the same run-around with Garmin. They warned me that if I had any problem with mine, just return it to Costco and do not deal with Garmin service.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2625 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Hope you do receive the CORRECT, INTACT new unit.

And yes you should go on their website and look for the complaint process.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
had a similar problem with my gfx card with pny. My original 8800gt started overheating so i rma it. Cost me $25 to ship it to them and they send me a defective 9800gt replacement and told me my psu was dead and not the gfx card. I bought a new psu only to find out it was indeed the gfx card. I had to send it in again, and now finally after a go 3-4 months of dealing with this nonsense i received a proper 9800 gt working replacement (its a refurb though). One thing is for sure im never buying pny ever again
Oct 8, 2010
14 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought my 1470 from Best Buy in May and am now regretting that I didn't buy the Extended Warranty. I was already paying $170 + tax and didn't feel like paying another $30 +/-. In hindsight, it would have been cheaper than sending the units back several times by Canada Post for warranty replacement.

The unit worked OK until last week when I tried to update the software to the latest v3.3. The unit seized completely. Sent it back to Magellan in Guelph (at my expense!) and replacement/refurb unit arrived yesterday by FedEx. It doesn't work and won't register with Content Manager.

I'm really pi**ed now. For what I paid for this unit, I should be getting a new replacement unit, not some crappy old refurb. I could have gone to XS Cargo or Tiger Direct and bought a refurb for a lot less $$ if that's what I wanted. According to the packing slip, the value of the refurb is $65 - that's right, $65. Talk about depreciation.

I'll never buy Magellan again if this is how they treat their customers. My next GPS purchase will either be one that offers full warranty replacement, or I'll buy the EW at point of sale so I don't have to go through this again.

Update on Magellan Warranty:

After sending an email to their Technical Support (no reply), I called to complain about the quality of the replacement. I wasn't rude or abusive to the Tech.Rep, only stressed how very unhappy I was with Magellan's warranty replacement service. Tech was unable to resolve the issue and bumped me up to Resolution Dept. I guess she could tell from my tone of voice how angry I was. When I reiterated how unhappy I was with the quality of the replacement, I was told Magellan would replace it with the 1475 and throw in a leather case as compensation for shipping costs incurred.

In my opinion, Magellan could avoid all this hassle if they'd simply give you a new replacement while under warranty. And now I'll be worried about ever doing a software upgrade in future.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
What ever happened with the OP? Newbies with zero to 2 posts love to complain here, but then vanish without providing an update, or bringing up old posts.

just checked, the only other post the OP made was another in SD, he was "horrified" with the service over a BMW. Seems to be easily "horrified".
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
hagbard wrote: What ever happened with the OP? Newbies with zero to 2 posts love to complain here, but then vanish without providing an update, or bringing up old posts.

just checked, the only other post the OP made was another in SD, he was "horrified" with the service over a BMW. Seems to be easily "horrified".

+1. That is 'horror'? If that is horror in OP's book, OP has a really good life.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
3117 posts
1666 upvotes
Never understood how people have so many issues with electronics.

I fly through electronics faster than anyone else I know, and I've never had an issue. Very rarely has something died on me, and I've never had a subpar CS experience. The first time I needed something replaced was my Logitech MX3200 keyboard that would randomly generate letters. Logitech sent me an entirely new unit within 2 weeks. The other time was with my BB Storm, and Telus replaced it with a refurb in 2 days.

Either I've been incredibly lucky, or people in general are dumb as rocks.

ps. I have a Magellan GPS (4700) and it's hands down the best purchase I've ever made.
Oct 8, 2010
14 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
hi-tech wrote: Never understood how people have so many issues with electronics.

I fly through electronics faster than anyone else I know, and I've never had an issue. Very rarely has something died on me, and I've never had a subpar CS experience. The first time I needed something replaced was my Logitech MX3200 keyboard that would randomly generate letters. Logitech sent me an entirely new unit within 2 weeks. The other time was with my BB Storm, and Telus replaced it with a refurb in 2 days.

Either I've been incredibly lucky, or people in general are dumb as rocks.

ps. I have a Magellan GPS (4700) and it's hands down the best purchase I've ever made.

How do you equate poor CS to people being *dumb as rocks*? If the supplier can keep circulating old refurbs as replacement for defective units, they will. I may not have complained so vociferously if my new 1470 had been at the tail end of the warranty. It was while doing a software upgrade from Magellan's own site that my original unit was compromised and the fact that the replacement offered was of inferior quality that had me so steamed.

I've only had one other electronics failure - my first LCD TV for which I bought the extended warranty (first time ever). The TV failed just after the original warranty expired and I was able to get a new, larger unit under the EW as prices had dropped considerably in relation to replacement value. Prior to that, I'd had one other failure with the TV and got prompt no-hassle service under the original warranty.