• Jun 22nd, 2010 11:14 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga

Question about free Rogers HD-box.

Ok, I know that people are calling and telling Rogers that they want to 'cancel their service and switch to Bell' because they're offering free HD-PVRs with various other things and Rogers gladly transfers to Retentions and offers those things, just to keep the customers.

In my case, I too do have Rogers VIP package with 2 regular Digital boxes, BUT I am not directly paying it to Rogers since I live in a townhouse, and the corporation which contracts with Rogers and it goes through them. This Rogers package is part of my maintenance fee that I pay each month.

So, I'm wondering, is it possible for me to call Rogers and do the same trick, by telling them that I want to cancel, even though I won't and can't ?

Has anyone ever done this before ? because I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only person that lives in a townhouse and has Rogers as part of their maintenance fee.

Thanks,

any help will be appreciated. :)
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
If your name isn't on the account, you can't do anything.
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
MacGyver wrote: If your name isn't on the account, you can't do anything.
My name IS on the account and the package that I have is under my name and account.
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Why would you do that? hoping to get a free HD box?

They will find out it's a townhouse development deal when they run your address!
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Lucky Ducky wrote: Why would you do that? hoping to get a free HD box?

They will find out it's a townhouse development deal when they run your address!
ammm... because I like getting things for free and sick and tired of Rogers ripping me off ?? :razz: just like 90% of people on these forums ?

I think it's worth a shot. Since, I'm not actually going to cancel anything at all, just add free things.

btw, I am able to make changes to the account, and that includes adding/removing TV services.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
81 upvotes
Yeah what do you have to lose?

I have the Digital VIP with HD PVR for $52. I know some other dude on RFD has the same thing for like 40 something. It's possible. Not quite sure how he managed the $40+ price though. lol
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
get a hdtv FTA antenna and use that. stream/download the rest.

tv is totally useless to pay for anymore.

Ask yourself this: Why would you want to pay for something you spend half the time in-between channels for, or watch re-run of Seinfeld/Simpsons? Oh yeah, so the people can switch on CNN to get their daily brainwashings
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Its probably something you should contact the corporations instead of Rogers directly as you are paying them and they pay Rogers...
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Success guys ! :D I was able to obtain 2 HD recieves(non-PVT) because I don't need them. Plus this nice CSR was able to get me a couple of extra HD channels for free on top of my 33 that comes with VIP package ! :D

Lucky Ducky, are you working at Rogers by any chance ? lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
Demonoid wrote: Success guys ! :D I was able to obtain 2 HD recieves(non-PVT) because I don't need them. Plus this nice CSR was able to get me a couple of extra HD channels for free on top of my 33 that comes with VIP package ! :D

Lucky Ducky, are you working at Rogers by any chance ? lol.
I want to do the same thing. What did you have to do ?

I have VIP package and I dont have a HD box because they said you have to rent for it
Nov 29, 2009
210 posts
136 upvotes
London
I'm about to get hd cable for my new place. What do I have to say to get a

free hd box with a new subscription...thanks.
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
user01 wrote: I want to do the same thing. What did you have to do ?

I have VIP package and I dont have a HD box because they said you have to rent for it
Dude, you have 4k+ posts and you've been a member since 2007, you still haven't noticed that they are 2 huge topics in the 'Hot Deals' section? :razz:
I tell ya.

Here and
Here

The key is to tell Rogers that you found a better deal with Bell and you would like to know if it's possible to match this deal OR if you want to tell them straight up that you want to cancel your service. Then they should transfer you to Customer Retentions which should give you whatever the hell you want.
fortune500 wrote: I'm about to get hd cable for my new place. What do I have to say to get a

free hd box with a new subscription...thanks.
I'm not really sure how what they can offer new customers, but I'm pretty sure you can get something. :razz: After all, you ARE their client.
Just browse the links in my previous quote.

good luck all.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
Demonoid wrote: Dude, you have 4k+ posts and you've been a member since 2007, you still haven't noticed that they are 2 huge topics in the 'Hot Deals' section? :razz:
I tell ya.
Aw, you sadden me. > :(

Um, yea I have seen those threads already. It will probably depend on which rep you get. I will go with what you did. For instance, matching with Bell, etc.

Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3067 upvotes
Winnipeg
Demonoid wrote: ammm... because I like getting things for free and sick and tired of Rogers ripping me off ?? :razz: just like 90% of people on these forums ?

I think it's worth a shot. Since, I'm not actually going to cancel anything at all, just add free things.

btw, I am able to make changes to the account, and that includes adding/removing TV services.
If you're being ripped off and you know, why would you stay with them? That's bizarre logic. Call and cancel. Go somewhere else.
This isn't a blog.
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
jcon wrote: If you're being ripped off and you know, why would you stay with them? That's bizarre logic. Call and cancel. Go somewhere else.
Yeah, if there were 10 different competitors I could choose from... I wish.
Unfortunately here in Southern Canada we have a duopoly. Not much choice, unlike in the States.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)