• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2010 4:58 am
Tags:
None
Jul 28, 2009
145 posts
56 upvotes

Apps for ipads

We recently bought a couple of ipads (15) business purpose. I want to know if i can use the same apple account on all of them ? and get a purchased app on all the ipads using that one account.

thanks in advance.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
If they're like iPhones, then the answer is no. Any apps you purchase on one iPhone have to be purchased separately on other iPhones. Otherwise, people would be sharing accounts all over the internet to get free apps, the same way people gameshare with their PS3's.

However, iPads might be different from iPhones, but I doubt i.
Feb 17, 2007
892 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Just sign onto the same itunes account and download the app again. Up to 5 devices I think.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Apps are covered using Fairplay DRM, but what does that mean exactly I don't know.

For music/movies the DRM restrictions are:
[QUOTE]- The track may be copied to any number of iPod portable music players (including the iPhone).[2] (However, each iPod/iPhone can only have tracks from a maximum of five different iTunes accounts)

- The track may be played on up to five (originally three) authorized computers simultaneously.[2]

- A particular playlist within iTunes containing a FairPlay-encrypted track can be copied to a CD only up to seven times (originally ten times) before the playlist must be changed.[3]

- The track may be copied to a standard Audio CD any number of times.[3]

- The resulting CD has no DRM and may be ripped, encoded and played back like any other CD. However, CDs created by users do not attain first sale rights and cannot be legally leased, lent, sold or distributed to others by the creator.

- The CD audio still bears the artifacts of compression, so converting it back into a lossy format such as MP3 may aggravate the sound artifacts of encoding (see transcoding). When re-ripping such a CD one could use a lossless audio codec such as AIFF, Apple Lossless, FLAC or WAV however such files take up significantly more space than the original .mp4 files.
[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how that is applicable to apps, that doesn't run on the computer.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Won't work. Apple limits the number of computers you can authorize an app for use on which is five.

If different people are using it, you should be purchasing it for each iPad.
Oct 13, 2008
358 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
blackwater wrote: We recently bought a couple of ipads (15) business purpose. I want to know if i can use the same apple account on all of them ? and get a purchased app on all the ipads using that one account.

thanks in advance.
If you sync all the ipads to the same computer, then yes. Otherwise you're limited to 5 pc's per account.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1340 posts
1431 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
1) Buy all the apps in iTunes on 1 computer.
2) Sync all the apps from iTunes to iPad #1.
3) Backup iPad #1 in iTunes.
4) Unplug iPad #1 & plug in iPad #2.
5) Restore iPad #2 using iPad #1's backup.
6) Repeat 1-5 for the other 13 iPads.

Whenever you purchase new apps, there's 2 ways.
1) Purchase in iTunes & manually sync it to each iPad.
2) Sign into iTunes account in the iPad settings, and redownload the app from the app store on the iPad itself. Then make sure to sign out in settings again, or else your other employees might decide to purchase whatever they want with the account.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
blackwater wrote: We recently bought a couple of ipads (15) business purpose. I want to know if i can use the same apple account on all of them ? and get a purchased app on all the ipads using that one account.

thanks in advance.
As others stated, it is limited but knowing Apple, they probably have a business division for apps that may give you a discount for 15 devices (i.e. pay 2x for 15 devices or something)... If they don't then you probably need to create 3 accounts, purchase the apps 3 times and sync them accordingly.
Mar 17, 2010
218 posts
1 upvote
none are great so far since they have "mini versions" on the iphone which do the same thing...
no point in buying ipad unless there are apps for ipad that are unique.
PM me for fastest response - Mark
Meet at my location.

SUBMITTING A RFD FEEDBACK IS REQUIRED AFTER TRANSACTION.
Jan 13, 2009
776 posts
12 upvotes
I'm Mark wrote: none are great so far since they have "mini versions" on the iphone which do the same thing...
no point in buying ipad unless there are apps for ipad that are unique.
Within a span of 3 months, there has already been 10,000 native iPad apps available in the App Store. Native, meaning created specifically for the iPad. Not sure where you got your information from.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Flash3 wrote: Within a span of 3 months, there has already been 10,000 native iPad apps available in the App Store. Native, meaning created specifically for the iPad. Not sure where you got your information from.
Everyone just makes assumptions... there were apps released for the ipad even before the ipad was released. Everyone just assumed all of them were modified for ipad but there are actually apps designed for ipad that cannot be used on iphone. That said, i don't really like the ipad since you need to use 'net or BT to do any sort of transfer (quite a pain if you want to move a small file, i would much prefer usb or flash)... also limits additional storage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)