Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1936 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto

iPad Knockoffs - when & how much $?

What's your guess as to when we'll start seeing the first iPad knockoffs and how much do you think they'll sell for?

Will you buy a knockoff?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
aPad aka iRobot - $199 usd from China.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1936 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote: aPad aka iRobot - $199 usd from China.
Wow, that was fast! Just looked it up and it looks pretty awesome. Glad I asked, thanks for your reply!
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
no of course not. i wouldn't even get the original ipad. why would i want something even worse?

the apad has 128 mb of ram and runs android 1.5. lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1339 posts
107 upvotes
buddhababy wrote: Wow, that was fast! Just looked it up and it looks pretty awesome. Glad I asked, thanks for your reply!
aPad looks awesome? Wow, you're easy to impress. It looks like total crap IMO. Wait a few months for Chrome OS to come out. That should be better suited to tablets than Android. Most of the major manufacturers are still coming out with Windows 7 tablets which aren't very good. There's no viable alternative to the iPad in the tablet space at the moment IMO. I'm sure that will change.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1936 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
LOL, I must be easy to impress! I had taken a quick look at some blogger reviews were and they were all pretty postive.

Regardless, I'm happy to see the knockoffs are out already and more are coming. I want to buy one eventually, just waiting to see what arrives on the market.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I've had my iPad since April 3rd and haven't regretted it for one second. I'm assuming it would be difficult to mimic the quality of the real deal for a third of the price.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
aPad for $200. We know the build quality of it will be suspect. You are buying a device designed for the China specific market. Local buyers in China do not have any expectation of refunds nor technical support.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
I rather get a brand name tablet, just like I rather buy an HTC/N1/Droid than a fake iPhone. You get what you pay for in terms of function, reliability, warranty and developer support.
There are no knockoff devices that use the Apple OS so their apps cannot be applied, one of the big reasons to pay for an overpriced iPad.

Go to the Apple store and try this, not sure any knockoff has an accelerometer or app to match the experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqdvClxB-Zg

These 2 geeks aren't sync'd but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC4--Vt8fcg
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
buddhababy wrote: LOL, I must be easy to impress! I had taken a quick look at some blogger reviews were and they were all pretty postive.

Regardless, I'm happy to see the knockoffs are out already and more are coming. I want to buy one eventually, just waiting to see what arrives on the market.
are you sure you even know what you're looking at? the apad is absolutely nothing like the ipad besides its physical form. a knockoff would imply they would try to emulate running the same software. the apad doesn't run iOS. it runs android and a really old version of android at that. and with only 128 megs of ram, expect it to be really really slow.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1936 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
For myself, I have no interest in Apple anything, but I am interested in a tablet which I'm now finding more and more of, at all kinds of price points and wide arrays of features.

I'm glad Apple came out with the iPad and I'm happy for the people who are loving it, but it's not what I want.

I think by Christmas, there will probably be something on the market that has the features I want at a price I'm willing to pay. It's still early in the game; I was excited to see the first post about the aPad as I wasn't aware the imitators had already hit the market, hence this thread. I'm embarrassed to see that the imitators have actually been around for some time and that I was woefully slow to notice. :o